Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club - Page 836

post #8351 of 9641
search - if you go into the first section theres a guide to do it

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #8352 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterox View Post
Hello guys! I've lost all my previous findings and knowledge of overclocking. So, how do I overclock again?

Any specific guide with this mobo and AM3 chips?

Thanks
well you want 4ghz 2.6nb blah etc .. which is stupidly easy according since you have my same chip

use any of these two that i use 24/7....
1.
244x16.5 - cpu voltage (v): 1.46v
nb x11 - cpu-nb voltage (v): 1.25v
ht x9 - leave auto the voltage(the same goes for everything else)

2. again same voltage settings
200(you may use 201)x20
nb x13
ht x10

Your Ram set it at the recommended rated settings - or overclock them if you want.. that is your choice - as well if you want to go higher on anything else... well play with the settings again its your choice

Now what I posted is what I use stable... if you can do it on lower voltage great if you need more.. then increase them... don't forget to always stress test(prime95 *Blend 2-3 hrs or more is good enough, IBT more than 20 runs on Maximum, linX using *All button pressed more than 20 passes) to insure its stable for you
Edited by sendblink23 - 12/19/10 at 9:26pm
SubCow
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom ii X4 965BE C3 @ 4.10Ghz (200x20.5) 1.5v MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire + XFX 5770's + EVGA 9800GTX+ 8gb (4 x 2gb) DDR3-1333 6-6-6-15-T1 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Hitachi - 500GB Seagate - 400GB Seagate LG DVD-RW Win 7 Ult x64 / Snow Leo 10.6.6 / Ubuntu 10.10 x64 AOC 2036S 20" + HP vs15 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Agiler Wireless Corsair TX850w Rosewill Challenger - CM590(dead) Agiler Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
SubCow
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom ii X4 965BE C3 @ 4.10Ghz (200x20.5) 1.5v MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire + XFX 5770's + EVGA 9800GTX+ 8gb (4 x 2gb) DDR3-1333 6-6-6-15-T1 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Hitachi - 500GB Seagate - 400GB Seagate LG DVD-RW Win 7 Ult x64 / Snow Leo 10.6.6 / Ubuntu 10.10 x64 AOC 2036S 20" + HP vs15 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Agiler Wireless Corsair TX850w Rosewill Challenger - CM590(dead) Agiler Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8353 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendblink23 View Post
well you want 4ghz 2.6nb blah etc .. which is stupidly easy according since you have my same chip

use any of these two that i use 24/7....
1.
244x16.5 - cpu voltage (v): 1.46v
nb x11 - cpu-nb voltage (v): 1.25v
ht x9 - leave auto the voltage(the same goes for everything else)

2. again same voltage settings
200(you may use 201)x20
nb x13
ht x10

Your Ram set it at the recommended rated settings - or overclock them if you want.. that is your choice - as well if you want to go higher on anything else... well play with the settings again its your choice

Now what I posted is what I use stable... if you can do it on lower voltage great if you need more.. then increase them... don't forget to always stress test(prime95 *Blend 2-3 hrs or more is good enough, IBT more than 20 runs on Maximum, linX using *All button pressed more than 20 passes) to insure its stable for you
Greatly appreciated! I'll try those numbers.

Can you be more specific on number 1?

I already tried to read through some guides for OC, but didn't do so well because there are too many guides and some of them are outdated.

I understand the first line "244x16.5 - cpu voltage (v): 1.46v"

"244mhz CPU NB FSB frequency" (from 200mhz)

"16.5 multiplier" (This is where I have a little bit of trouble). This is the CPU Ratio right?

"CPU voltage (V) 1.46v" (very easy to understand)

"11x NB" Is this the CPU-NB ratio?

"ht x9" Hyperthreading link speed set to x9

thanks again.

P.S. I just recently upgraded to better RAM, video cards and monitors. Need to push this baby a bit. I don't really want to push my system overclocking ability to the max, just hovering around 4ghz and under 60C full load is fine with me.
Edited by Waterox - 12/20/10 at 5:04am
Boeing 747 XD.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE C3 MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 120gb + 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Windows 7 64x Ultimate 3x 22" Viewsonic VX2250WM-LED (Eyefinity) Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
Cosair CMPSU-850HX 850W XCLIO A380BK (Boeing engine) :D Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Boeing 747 XD.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE C3 MSI 790FX-GD70 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 120gb + 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Windows 7 64x Ultimate 3x 22" Viewsonic VX2250WM-LED (Eyefinity) Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
Cosair CMPSU-850HX 850W XCLIO A380BK (Boeing engine) :D Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8354 of 9641
I was wondering.. I know this has probably been answered but.... is it safe to test out each memory stick one at a time in MemTest86 full load? I keep getting BSODS and have 4 sticks of 2GB OCZ Ram ...So I figured I would test them each out before my RMA time is up incase it is a memory module.
Unknown
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb (C3) MSI 790FX-GD70 MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce OCZ AMD Black Edition(4 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB Windows 7 PRO x64 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX Antec Nine Hundred 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Unknown
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb (C3) MSI 790FX-GD70 MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce OCZ AMD Black Edition(4 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB Windows 7 PRO x64 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX Antec Nine Hundred 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8355 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterox View Post
Greatly appreciated! I'll try those numbers.

Can you be more specific on number 1?

I already tried to read through some guides for OC, but didn't do so well because there are too many guides and some of them are outdated.

I understand the first line "244x16.5 - cpu voltage (v): 1.46v"

"244mhz CPU NB FSB frequency" (from 200mhz)

"16.5 multiplier" (This is where I have a little bit of trouble). This is the CPU Ratio right?

"CPU voltage (V) 1.46v" (very easy to understand)

"11x NB" Is this the CPU-NB ratio?

"ht x9" Hyperthreading link speed set to x9

thanks again.

P.S. I just recently upgraded to better RAM, video cards and monitors. Need to push this baby a bit. I don't really want to push my system overclocking ability to the max, just hovering around 4ghz and under 60C full load is fine with me.
Big Words version (none numbers lol)
1st line is CPU: CPU FSB x CPU Ratio - CPU Voltage (v)
2nd line is Northbridge: x CPU-NB Ratio - CPU-NB Voltage (v)
3rd line is Hyperthreading: x HT Link Speed
SubCow
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom ii X4 965BE C3 @ 4.10Ghz (200x20.5) 1.5v MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire + XFX 5770's + EVGA 9800GTX+ 8gb (4 x 2gb) DDR3-1333 6-6-6-15-T1 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Hitachi - 500GB Seagate - 400GB Seagate LG DVD-RW Win 7 Ult x64 / Snow Leo 10.6.6 / Ubuntu 10.10 x64 AOC 2036S 20" + HP vs15 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Agiler Wireless Corsair TX850w Rosewill Challenger - CM590(dead) Agiler Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
SubCow
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom ii X4 965BE C3 @ 4.10Ghz (200x20.5) 1.5v MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire + XFX 5770's + EVGA 9800GTX+ 8gb (4 x 2gb) DDR3-1333 6-6-6-15-T1 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Hitachi - 500GB Seagate - 400GB Seagate LG DVD-RW Win 7 Ult x64 / Snow Leo 10.6.6 / Ubuntu 10.10 x64 AOC 2036S 20" + HP vs15 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Agiler Wireless Corsair TX850w Rosewill Challenger - CM590(dead) Agiler Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8356 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtoxic View Post
I was wondering.. I know this has probably been answered but.... is it safe to test out each memory stick one at a time in MemTest86 full load? I keep getting BSODS and have 4 sticks of 2GB OCZ Ram ...So I figured I would test them each out before my RMA time is up incase it is a memory module.
Safe as in running the sticks in single channel mode? By all means yes. Though I did run into problems with this method when building my friend's rig. I was able to test single sticks of RAM without any problems, but once I had it in dual channel mode with 2 sticks, it would cause errors in memtest. I went through different methods such as disabling and enabling USB3, but it wasn't until I manually set ALL the timings (not just the 4-5 that show up in CPU-Z) in the BIOS to get the 2 sticks to clear 250-300% in memtest. Try going to AMD Overdrive to look up all the timings. It should show up on the bottom left of the first page.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX XFX Radeon R9 Fury X G.SKILL 2133MHz 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 Sennheiser HD 598 SE 
Audio
Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [Delid] Asrock Z77E-ITX XFX Radeon R9 Fury X G.SKILL 2133MHz 8GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB Silicon Power S60 120GB Western Digital Blue Scorpio 1TB Seagate Constellation 2 1TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II XSPC RX240+EX240 [Painted White] 5x 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons PWM [Painted Black+W... Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 80 Inline Reservoir  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 LG 34UC88-B 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 75Hz HP ZR2240w IPS WASD CODE 87-Key [MX Clear + PBT Keycaps] 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonix X-750 Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech G502 Sennheiser HD 598 SE 
Audio
Micca OriGen 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8357 of 9641
Thank you very much for your feedback.
That might actually help out my BSOD...Currently they are all set to the stock settings rather than the 8-8-8-24 , I will play around with it and let see my results will be.
Unknown
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb (C3) MSI 790FX-GD70 MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce OCZ AMD Black Edition(4 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB Windows 7 PRO x64 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX Antec Nine Hundred 2 
  hide details  
Reply
Unknown
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb (C3) MSI 790FX-GD70 MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce OCZ AMD Black Edition(4 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB Windows 7 PRO x64 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX Antec Nine Hundred 2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8358 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokin View Post
Safe as in running the sticks in single channel mode? By all means yes. Though I did run into problems with this method when building my friend's rig. I was able to test single sticks of RAM without any problems, but once I had it in dual channel mode with 2 sticks, it would cause errors in memtest. I went through different methods such as disabling and enabling USB3, but it wasn't until I manually set ALL the timings (not just the 4-5 that show up in CPU-Z) in the BIOS to get the 2 sticks to clear 250-300% in memtest. Try going to AMD Overdrive to look up all the timings. It should show up on the bottom left of the first page.
We have USB3 ? I didn't know that
- 2 x USB 2.0 connectors

-- edit --- woops now i realized what you meant
SubCow
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom ii X4 965BE C3 @ 4.10Ghz (200x20.5) 1.5v MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire + XFX 5770's + EVGA 9800GTX+ 8gb (4 x 2gb) DDR3-1333 6-6-6-15-T1 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Hitachi - 500GB Seagate - 400GB Seagate LG DVD-RW Win 7 Ult x64 / Snow Leo 10.6.6 / Ubuntu 10.10 x64 AOC 2036S 20" + HP vs15 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Agiler Wireless Corsair TX850w Rosewill Challenger - CM590(dead) Agiler Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
SubCow
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom ii X4 965BE C3 @ 4.10Ghz (200x20.5) 1.5v MSI 790FX-GD70 Sapphire + XFX 5770's + EVGA 9800GTX+ 8gb (4 x 2gb) DDR3-1333 6-6-6-15-T1 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Hitachi - 500GB Seagate - 400GB Seagate LG DVD-RW Win 7 Ult x64 / Snow Leo 10.6.6 / Ubuntu 10.10 x64 AOC 2036S 20" + HP vs15 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Agiler Wireless Corsair TX850w Rosewill Challenger - CM590(dead) Agiler Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8359 of 9641
Hey guys!

I FINALLY GOT A HIGHER O/C Its not quite the 4GHz im after but its stable in prime95 after 10 runs on the small setting - my idel is between 29 - 32 degress and my load (while in prime) was 53- 54 (went to 55 once then just sat at 53/54)
CPUZ
Im very happy that my NB Freq is @ 2.7Ghz (i might try bumping that multi up and see if i can get more)


At this point i think the RAM is holding me back. So now im just going to have to wait untill after xmas for my Upgrade - New GPU & RAM here i come!
post #8360 of 9641
Have you guys ever tinkered with the Drive Strength options? I have ddr3 1333 4x2gb Corsair Dominators stock 9-9-9-24-34, and I boosted all my drive strength options for both dual channels, and I'm currently ddr3 1680, 840mhz, at 8-8-8-24-32 1t, 4.028ghz, 2756mhz nb...

All I did was 1.5x on all the options, and this RAM really came to life. I also manually set all my sub RAM timings based on SPD values in the Memory-Z tool. Someone else should try it and see they're results. I dont notice anything wrong, but I also havent fully stability tested. Mebbe I can snap a pic of the bios later after X-mas chores , so you guys can peep it out. Mebbe I'm damaging my RAM, lol, who knows.
Jack out the box
(17 items)
 
Back-up Beauty
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8350 Gigabyte 990FX UD3 R5 Sapphire RX 480 reference Corsair Dominator Platinums 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 1TB WD Black LG dvd+r Custom water loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windoze 7 Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD USB generic SeaSonic X750 GOLD 85+ 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
MicroCool Banchetto 101 tech station Razer Diamondback epic galaxy deep space render E-MU 
Other
This rig is awesome :) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 185 ASUS A8N32_SLI Deluxe eVGA GTX 950 2GB 16GB DDR1 Samsung UCCC 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 640 GB Western digital Caviar Black 120GB Crucial M4 SSD Generic DVD+R, SATA Corsair tower cooler, generic. Not very good, b... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 52" Sony Bravia 1080p Logitech K400 wireless kb/mouse Corsair TX650, 2011+ model 
CaseAudio
Modded Antec 902 On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
Jack out the box
(17 items)
 
Back-up Beauty
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8350 Gigabyte 990FX UD3 R5 Sapphire RX 480 reference Corsair Dominator Platinums 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 1TB WD Black LG dvd+r Custom water loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windoze 7 Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD USB generic SeaSonic X750 GOLD 85+ 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
MicroCool Banchetto 101 tech station Razer Diamondback epic galaxy deep space render E-MU 
Other
This rig is awesome :) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Opteron 185 ASUS A8N32_SLI Deluxe eVGA GTX 950 2GB 16GB DDR1 Samsung UCCC 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 640 GB Western digital Caviar Black 120GB Crucial M4 SSD Generic DVD+R, SATA Corsair tower cooler, generic. Not very good, b... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 52" Sony Bravia 1080p Logitech K400 wireless kb/mouse Corsair TX650, 2011+ model 
CaseAudio
Modded Antec 902 On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club