Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club - Page 951

post #9501 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoliani View Post

I went ahead and bought a dual 12800 1600Mhz memory. It only operates at 1333Mhz and if you go with the overclock value in BIOS 1:4 it reaches it's standards 1600Mhz. So how do I really oc this mem to go above its 1600Mhz?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

To oc the ram beyond 1600, you need to raise the reference clock(cpu frequency/fsb).
Here is a chart to show how raising the ref clock will affect cpu freq/nb freq/ram freq, not shown is HT link speed that will increase at the same rate as NB freq.
http://www.overclock.net/t/594829/phenom-ii-cpu-northbridge-ram-chart-am2-am3/0_20
Good luck
Gyro

 

 

You should also note that with your 965, your ram isn't going to go much higher than ~1850mhz, so at that point you should try and tighten the timings.

Mix & Match
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
775 / 1155 / AM3 TA890FXE / EP45T-USB3P / UP7 Far Too Many Hypers / PSC / BBSE 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
90GB Force GT / F3 1TB / WD 640GB Stripped ;) Dell Ultrasharp U2410 24in Enermax Evo 1250W 
Case
Dwood LN2 Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
Mix & Match
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
775 / 1155 / AM3 TA890FXE / EP45T-USB3P / UP7 Far Too Many Hypers / PSC / BBSE 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
90GB Force GT / F3 1TB / WD 640GB Stripped ;) Dell Ultrasharp U2410 24in Enermax Evo 1250W 
Case
Dwood LN2 Bench 
  hide details  
Reply

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #9502 of 9641
Hello people,
total OC noob here. I'm running a Phenom II 1090T with 12GB of ram (Kingston Hyper-X) at default values. Obviously my memory modules are operating at 1333mhz and i'd like to unlock them to run at 1600mhz. Can someone point me out on how to do it?
Finding an answer in more than 900 pages has been kind of hard...
post #9503 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig092 View Post

Obviously my memory modules are operating at 1333mhz and i'd like to unlock them to run at 1600mhz. Can someone point me out on how to do it?

Yes. As stated on MSI website 1600MHz is not supported by the chipset natively, so for you the only chance to do that is to jack up the speed of the FSB synchronously that it will run at 1600MHz. Of course that would mean that you will overclock on FSB alone which is not why you would get a Black Edition CPU. Do you think the trade off is worth it? If I were you I would try instead to see how low I could get on the CAS timing, I think that would be better in this case
post #9504 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig092 View Post

Hello people,
total OC noob here. I'm running a Phenom II 1090T with 12GB of ram (Kingston Hyper-X) at default values. Obviously my memory modules are operating at 1333mhz and i'd like to unlock them to run at 1600mhz. Can someone point me out on how to do it?
Finding an answer in more than 900 pages has been kind of hard...

Easy, enter BIOS (hit DEL key when powering on).
Go to CELL MENU:

399

Change the FSB/DRAM ratio to [1:4].
post #9505 of 9641
Thanks to MARSTG and nicoliani for taking the time to answer.
I will do as nicoliani says, do some testing to see how it goes...
post #9506 of 9641
I'm going to raise the CPU-NB VDD VOLTAGE in my BIOS although I don't know what value it's on now. In AMD Overdrive I don't find any "CPU-NB VDD" could it be under another name?
There are this:

CPU VID
NB VID
Memory VDDQ
CPU VDDC
NB Core Voltage
CPU HT Voltage
post #9507 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoliani View Post

I'm going to raise the CPU-NB VDD VOLTAGE in my BIOS although I don't know what value it's on now. In AMD Overdrive I don't find any "CPU-NB VDD" could it be under another name?
There are this:
CPU VID
NB VID
Memory VDDQ
CPU VDDC
NB Core Voltage
CPU HT Voltage

 

Are you trying to raise it through AMD Overdrive, or just through the BIOS.  I would recommend doing it in the BIOS, and it should just be called CPU-NB voltage iirc.

Mix & Match
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
775 / 1155 / AM3 TA890FXE / EP45T-USB3P / UP7 Far Too Many Hypers / PSC / BBSE 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
90GB Force GT / F3 1TB / WD 640GB Stripped ;) Dell Ultrasharp U2410 24in Enermax Evo 1250W 
Case
Dwood LN2 Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
Mix & Match
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
775 / 1155 / AM3 TA890FXE / EP45T-USB3P / UP7 Far Too Many Hypers / PSC / BBSE 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
90GB Force GT / F3 1TB / WD 640GB Stripped ;) Dell Ultrasharp U2410 24in Enermax Evo 1250W 
Case
Dwood LN2 Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9508 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post

Are you trying to raise it through AMD Overdrive, or just through the BIOS.  I would recommend doing it in the BIOS, and it should just be called CPU-NB voltage iirc.

I'm going to raise it in BIOS although I want to see my stock settings in Overdrive, although I don't know which entry to read for it in Overdrive.
post #9509 of 9641

Does it not show you the stock settings in the BIOS?  If not then I'd guess it's ~1.25v

Mix & Match
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
775 / 1155 / AM3 TA890FXE / EP45T-USB3P / UP7 Far Too Many Hypers / PSC / BBSE 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
90GB Force GT / F3 1TB / WD 640GB Stripped ;) Dell Ultrasharp U2410 24in Enermax Evo 1250W 
Case
Dwood LN2 Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
Mix & Match
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
775 / 1155 / AM3 TA890FXE / EP45T-USB3P / UP7 Far Too Many Hypers / PSC / BBSE 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
90GB Force GT / F3 1TB / WD 640GB Stripped ;) Dell Ultrasharp U2410 24in Enermax Evo 1250W 
Case
Dwood LN2 Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9510 of 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post

Does it not show you the stock settings in the BIOS?  If not then I'd guess it's ~1.25v

No, it's on Auto. If I change the value + I get a voltage, I don't know if that new voltage is one step over the stock, and if I go - that would be one step under the stock.

According to this guide: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=135581.0

the stock is 1.25. Yet I don't know if updated BIOS versions or anything else can change that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] MSI 790FX-GD70 Owners Club