Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Peltiers / TEC › Custom 62mm TEC Water block
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom 62mm TEC Water block - Page 49  

post #481 of 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy) View Post
OK lets back the truck up. Why do you want the cover made from copper instead of plastic ? what does it matter except for a very small gain it cooling performance you could get ?
Plastic goes pretty cold but if you look at the data sheets that is generally short term I'm not prepared to use plastics at low temps. It is a bit of a bubbling pot of arguement with neither the sayers or the nayers getting a clear win but it is my choice and I choose no plastic.
It is precisely the sheer bulk of your block + a copper top if it had one that would work particularly well in my project.
post #482 of 680
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
Plastic goes pretty cold but if you look at the data sheets that is generally short term I'm not prepared to use plastics at low temps. It is a bit of a bubbling pot of arguement with neither the sayers or the nayers getting a clear win but it is my choice and I choose no plastic.
It is precisely the sheer bulk of your block + a copper top if it had one that would work particularly well in my project.
i thought you were gonna bring up the Plastic at cold TEMPS thing

Im 100% that this is another overclock.net wifes tale (like dielectric grease in the socket). Plastic is fine. But your right it's your choice.

My chiller has acrylic covers and it was fine and my water block has plastic covers and it was fine. and the cpu socket is plastic and it is fine.

As far as i know the argument was that plastic is more brittle when super cold. This i don't doubt. However it's irrelevant in my opinion. because when cold your not hitting it with a hammer.
post #483 of 680
I thought it was a common thing to hit your processor with a hammer?
POLARity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz MSI Big Bang Xpower 2x 5850 @ 765MHz/1120MHz 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 CL7 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair 64GB SSD | 4x Samsung F3 1TB RAID10 Win7 Professional 64bit Samsung P2770H 27" Roccat Arvo 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 850W POLARity TJ07 Roccat Kone Roccat Sota 
  hide details  
POLARity
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz MSI Big Bang Xpower 2x 5850 @ 765MHz/1120MHz 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 CL7 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair 64GB SSD | 4x Samsung F3 1TB RAID10 Win7 Professional 64bit Samsung P2770H 27" Roccat Arvo 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Revolution 850W POLARity TJ07 Roccat Kone Roccat Sota 
  hide details  
post #484 of 680
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverw92 View Post
I thought it was a common thing to hit your processor with a hammer?
i guess that's where the term suicide run comes from?

im rather passionate about this topic
post #485 of 680
I think that too many people play on the "what if it breaks" thing with plastic. If it's reasonably thick then it's not likely to break unless you do something to it. At least that's just my own opinion.
theonering
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Asus Striker II Formula 8800GTS 512 SLI Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Seagate 500GB, 2x Seagate 1TB LG HD-DVD Bluray Windows 7 x64 Samsung Syncmaster 305T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Reclusa Coolermaster Realpower 850w Lian-Li PC-V2000B Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
theonering
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Asus Striker II Formula 8800GTS 512 SLI Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Seagate 500GB, 2x Seagate 1TB LG HD-DVD Bluray Windows 7 x64 Samsung Syncmaster 305T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Reclusa Coolermaster Realpower 850w Lian-Li PC-V2000B Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
post #486 of 680
well you have a come up with something that hit me about 9 months at which I realized my project was probably no more than a folly and a museum piece but then I sussed I am not sharing this with anyone else it's my project for my use so who cares if it is a museum piece. In the extremely unlikely event they ever decide to make CPU sockets out of anything else things might be different.
The way I look at it, bearing in mind heavy LN2 users do have problems with CPU sockets breaking/ coming apart, plastics have little use in long term/excessive cold situations.
As it happens all things are a point of conjecture because untill I get further built there is no saying how low I am going anyway so I just start out how I mean to go on and keep plastic use low.
Edited by zipdogso - 11/3/09 at 5:09pm
post #487 of 680
TBH i'd go for the brass top... but thats for a chiller. plastic is nice, for above-0 temps. a TEC block will only get hot. so plastic is fine.
post #488 of 680
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
well you have a come up with something that hit me about 9 months at which I realized my project was probably no more than a folly and a museum piece but then I sussed I am not sharing this with anyone else it's my project for my use so who cares if it is a museum piece. In the extremely unlikely event they ever decide to make CPU sockets out of anything else things might be different.
.
What did i come up with 9 months ago ? my chiller ?
post #489 of 680
Well I know my project is still as unattainable as ever, but that won't stop me. TECs are just so fun to play with. It's even more fun when you have a final product I suspect.
theonering
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Asus Striker II Formula 8800GTS 512 SLI Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Seagate 500GB, 2x Seagate 1TB LG HD-DVD Bluray Windows 7 x64 Samsung Syncmaster 305T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Reclusa Coolermaster Realpower 850w Lian-Li PC-V2000B Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
theonering
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Asus Striker II Formula 8800GTS 512 SLI Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x Seagate 500GB, 2x Seagate 1TB LG HD-DVD Bluray Windows 7 x64 Samsung Syncmaster 305T+ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Reclusa Coolermaster Realpower 850w Lian-Li PC-V2000B Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
post #490 of 680
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flak-spammer View Post
Well I know my project is still as unattainable as ever, but that won't stop me. TECs are just so fun to play with. It's even more fun when you have a final product I suspect.
NOpe NOpe

The fun is the journey . once completed you have to come up with a new project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Peltiers / TEC
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Peltiers / TEC › Custom 62mm TEC Water block