Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › [Official] Mechanical Keyboard Club - Because saving money is boring.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Mechanical Keyboard Club - Because saving money is boring. - Page 44

post #431 of 36893
cables for the model M's can be found on ebay from 6-12 bucks and I may some caps, which ones are you needing?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3.20Ghz Pentium 4 (Northwood HT/512k/800FSB) Asus P4P800-E Deluxe HIS Radeon HD 3850 IceQ3 Turbo AGP 4 GB OCZ El Platinum Dual Channel (2-3-2-5) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB WD Caviar Blue SATA II/400GB Seagate IDEx2 Optiarc 7201A + ASUS DRW-1814BL XP Professional SP3 HP LP2065/ Samsung Syncmaster 170MP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135b/IBM Model F-AT TT 750watt Toughpower Qfan Raidmax Cobra Black(lightly modded) MS Optical 2.0/ Kensington Expert Trackball v5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3.20Ghz Pentium 4 (Northwood HT/512k/800FSB) Asus P4P800-E Deluxe HIS Radeon HD 3850 IceQ3 Turbo AGP 4 GB OCZ El Platinum Dual Channel (2-3-2-5) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB WD Caviar Blue SATA II/400GB Seagate IDEx2 Optiarc 7201A + ASUS DRW-1814BL XP Professional SP3 HP LP2065/ Samsung Syncmaster 170MP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135b/IBM Model F-AT TT 750watt Toughpower Qfan Raidmax Cobra Black(lightly modded) MS Optical 2.0/ Kensington Expert Trackball v5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #432 of 36893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
Generally speaking, the original IBM models are worth more than the Lexmark models, by maybe $5-$10. The only time there's a significant price hike is if it's NIB, a SpaceSaver (Mini), or Industrial.
Which is stupid, because in many ways, the Lexmark ones are superior.
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #433 of 36893
i have a question.

are there any mechanical keyboards that dont produce lots of noise? and are there any with "flat" keys?

flat keys example:
Hindenburg
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 7700k Asus Strix Z270E Asus Strix 1070 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 250gb Sata 3 M.2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB  Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Benq XL2411 CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate Corsair TX750 750W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Logitech G700s Logitech G440 
  hide details  
Reply
Hindenburg
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 7700k Asus Strix Z270E Asus Strix 1070 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 250gb Sata 3 M.2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB  Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Benq XL2411 CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate Corsair TX750 750W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Logitech G700s Logitech G440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #434 of 36893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_123 View Post
Which is stupid, because in many ways, the Lexmark ones are superior.
Out of curiosity, in what ways?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3.20Ghz Pentium 4 (Northwood HT/512k/800FSB) Asus P4P800-E Deluxe HIS Radeon HD 3850 IceQ3 Turbo AGP 4 GB OCZ El Platinum Dual Channel (2-3-2-5) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB WD Caviar Blue SATA II/400GB Seagate IDEx2 Optiarc 7201A + ASUS DRW-1814BL XP Professional SP3 HP LP2065/ Samsung Syncmaster 170MP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135b/IBM Model F-AT TT 750watt Toughpower Qfan Raidmax Cobra Black(lightly modded) MS Optical 2.0/ Kensington Expert Trackball v5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3.20Ghz Pentium 4 (Northwood HT/512k/800FSB) Asus P4P800-E Deluxe HIS Radeon HD 3850 IceQ3 Turbo AGP 4 GB OCZ El Platinum Dual Channel (2-3-2-5) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB WD Caviar Blue SATA II/400GB Seagate IDEx2 Optiarc 7201A + ASUS DRW-1814BL XP Professional SP3 HP LP2065/ Samsung Syncmaster 170MP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Adesso MKB-135b/IBM Model F-AT TT 750watt Toughpower Qfan Raidmax Cobra Black(lightly modded) MS Optical 2.0/ Kensington Expert Trackball v5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #435 of 36893
There are quiet mechanical keyboards - in particular ones that use Cherry MX Brown switches, or Topre switches. Common keyboards that use these include -

Cherry -
Filco Tactile Touch
Das S Silent

Topre -
Realforce 87U/103U
HHKB Pro

There are flat key ones - the Cherry ML (supposedly quite mediocre), but I don't know why you'd want them... mechanical switches activate about half way down the travel of the key, so they're as 'quick' as flat scissor switches.
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #436 of 36893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch_123 View Post
There are quiet mechanical keyboards - in particular ones that use Cherry MX Brown switches, or Topre switches. Common keyboards that use these include -

Cherry -
Filco Tactile Touch
Das S Silent

Topre -
Realforce 87U/103U
HHKB Pro

There are flat key ones - the Cherry ML (supposedly quite mediocre), but I don't know why you'd want them... mechanical switches activate about half way down the travel of the key, so they're as 'quick' as flat scissor switches.
many thanks. ill take a llok at them, i wanna buy a mechanical keyboard sometime in the future.

i like flat keys because i really like the tactile feeback. its easier for me to type with flat keys. dont know why.
Hindenburg
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 7700k Asus Strix Z270E Asus Strix 1070 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 250gb Sata 3 M.2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB  Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Benq XL2411 CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate Corsair TX750 750W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Logitech G700s Logitech G440 
  hide details  
Reply
Hindenburg
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 7700k Asus Strix Z270E Asus Strix 1070 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 250gb Sata 3 M.2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB  Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Benq XL2411 CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate Corsair TX750 750W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Logitech G700s Logitech G440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #437 of 36893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakDown View Post
many thanks. ill take a llok at them, i wanna buy a mechanical keyboard sometime in the future.

i like flat keys because i really like the tactile feeback. its easier for me to type with flat keys. dont know why.
One of the nice things about mechanical keyboards like the ones that ch_123 mentioned is actually the tactile feedback.

Up until I got into mechanical keyboards (or more accurately, up until I got my first and only mechanical board 2½ months ago), I strongly preferred typing on my mom's laptop (a Sony Vaio with a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4) just because of the way the keys responded and because of how quiet they were. I don't know what switch type my mom's laptop uses, but it certainly has a feel that I like and that I couldn't really stop thinking about when I would use my keyboard.

So then I ended up trying out the Razer Lycosa which I really liked in comparison to my old, cheap membrane board (here's a picture of it I found on the internet). But I think I liked it just because it was new, y'know? I mean, it had never been used, so it was as snappy as a membrane board could be. However, I still strongly preferred typing on my mom's laptop.

Then one day I decided to replace the Lycosa with something else, and I ended up learning about mechanical keyboards. I resisted quite strongly at first and I even scoffed at them. But I eventually bought the Filco Majestouch Tactile Click NKRO. The typing experience on this thing far exceeds the typing experience I get with my mom's laptop because I don't have to press the keys all the way down, and plus there's a nice spring inside each switch that works with me, not against me. This is because it is just springy enough to provide a perfect amount of resistance, and the result is a significantly superior typing experience. Or really, it's just a significantly superior keypressing experience; I even find myself enjoying single keypresses, such as navigating my BIOS or something.

So due to the way these keyboards feel and respond, they don't feel as deep as they look. This is because the keys don't have to be pressed all the way down to actuate: they only need to be pressed approximately halfway down!

Therefore, I no longer care about using those flat keyboards to get the feel I want: I get all that plus a whole lot more goodness out of this mechanical keyboard.

But as far as quiet keyboards go: the sound of mechanical keyboards like the Das Model S "Silent" boards and the Filco Majestouch Tactile Touch boards (or really, almost any good mechanical keyboard fitted with the Cherry MX Browns) is dictated by how hard you type. If you're constantly bottoming out every single key, then it's definitely going to make noise. But if you can type gently and almost never bottom out (which should be super easy with the Cherry MX Brown boards), then the board will be very quiet. (But it can never be rubber-quiet.)

So I recommend using YouTube to look up anything related to mechanical keyboards, like "mechanical keyboard", "cherry mx blues", "cherry mx browns", "filco majestouch", "topre realforce", "IBM Model M", "Unicomp Customizer 104", "Unicomp SpaceSaver 104", etc. After a while of watching these videos, you'll end up with a clearer idea of which switch you think you will like the most, and you might even have a good idea of which keyboards you will consider. You see, the best thing to do is to choose the switch type first, and then choose a keyboard that has those switches.
Edited by TwoCables - 5/27/10 at 6:28am
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #438 of 36893
I see. It does sound VERY nice.

I am confident i will recieve a good keyboard, i just have trouble finding which one would fit me better. I cannot try them out at any store, since this type of market is really small in Spain and store do not display them at all.

ill check out the videos on youtube.

many thanks.
Hindenburg
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 7700k Asus Strix Z270E Asus Strix 1070 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 250gb Sata 3 M.2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB  Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Benq XL2411 CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate Corsair TX750 750W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Logitech G700s Logitech G440 
  hide details  
Reply
Hindenburg
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 7700k Asus Strix Z270E Asus Strix 1070 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 250gb Sata 3 M.2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB  Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Benq XL2411 CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate Corsair TX750 750W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Logitech G700s Logitech G440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #439 of 36893
Quote:
Originally Posted by voixdelion View Post
Out of curiosity, in what ways?
There's a big thread on Geekhack about this, but the low down is as follows -

There are four generations of Model M -

The first generation ones (1985 - 1989) are the heaviest ones, and are considered to have the best quality casings.

The second generation ones (1989 - 1992) did away with the stabilizer bars on all the large keys except for the space bar and used special inserts instead... this actually made these keys less wobbly. They also had a thinner backplate which made the keyboard lighter than it's predecessors. There were also some internal changes to the circuitry.

The third generation ones (1992 - 1996, with a few made as late as 1999) were the original Lexmark ones, and included drainage channels inside the keyboard which fed out to holes underneath the case at the front of the keyboard. Otherwise they were the same as the 2nd generation. Some were made without detachable cables.

The fourth generation ones (1995 - present day) had a redesigned case which did way with the speaker grille and removed the possibility of having a detachable cable. Most, if not all, of these examples were made with a different plastic to the earlier models and thus aren't really up to the same standard. IIRC, they also had a thinner backplate. They retained the drainage channes of the third generation design.

Supposedly either the second or third generation design added in more internal supports, but I'm not too sure about this.

As for the best one? There's a case to be made for the oldest ones being the best, but I personally would go for the drainage channels and lack of stabilizer bars of the third generation one...

An important point to make is that, assuming you find samples in good condition, there is no real difference in the feel of the buckling spring mechanism between the first three generations. It is often considered that the fourth generation wasn't as stiff as the earlier ones, and this can be a bonus or a negative depending on your point of view.
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
Daedalus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Gigabyte MA78GM-UD2H Gainward 9600GT GS 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Samsung P120S, 1TB Samsung F1 Window 7 64bit/Arch Linux Samsung 204B 20"/Dell 1701FP IBM Model F and others 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 Lian-Li V350B Steelseries Ikari Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #440 of 36893
Guys... I just got my Das Keyboard Silent M. I've had it for a minute now and its already dusty... I don't know what I'm going to do about the dust problem but I'm going to just ignore it for now.

I will be doing a little review later on after I get the chance to upload some pics. As for now. Typing on this is pretty damn fun. I think I'm in love. Still getting the hang of not bottoming out keys at the moment but I'm sure I will get it soon!
Yes
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 MSI 790FX-GD70 Radeon HD 5870 Corsair Vengeance 16G 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
250Gx2 WD Caviar Blue Raid 0 Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 21.5" Sceptre 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 1087 OCZ 700W ModxStream Lian Li K62 Roccat Kone+ 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 4HD Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Yes
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 MSI 790FX-GD70 Radeon HD 5870 Corsair Vengeance 16G 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
250Gx2 WD Caviar Blue Raid 0 Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 21.5" Sceptre 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky 1087 OCZ 700W ModxStream Lian Li K62 Roccat Kone+ 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries 4HD Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › [Official] Mechanical Keyboard Club - Because saving money is boring.