Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 or 930 to 4.0ghz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 or 930 to 4.0ghz - Page 75

post #741 of 1477
thanks for your help gobbo353

yea my minimum stable vcore with HT on is 1.352 .. I tried a notch below that and it became unstable

my mobo only has one PLL and I'm assuming its the cpu PLL, and thats set at 1.88, don't have a QPI PLL or its named something different in my bios, but there really arent any other options in there, and I dont think theres any options for the cpu clock drive or the pci-e clock drive either (I havnt seen or found it in there)

the reason I only have a push on the TRUE is because the rear 120mm exhaust fan (also a tricool at the same rpm) on my 1200 case kinda lines up with the TRUE, so i figured I really dont need a pull fan since its only about 3 inches away from the TRUE and basically doing the same thing, but I might try to put a pull fan in there since the alignment of the rear exhaust and the TRUE are off by an inch vertically

and yea I've been meaning to tighten my ram timings, just havn't really gotten to it yet

so when I get home I guess I'll try to notch up the ICH and notch down the VTT
Edited by dezerteagle323 - 6/28/10 at 7:23am
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #742 of 1477
Hi gobbo353, you kept mentioning that increasing the ICH (SB) will help the RAM. I was just wondering if you could explain how? I thought that it was the IOH (NB) that helped the RAM. I've trying to find answers to this, but the discussions I found don't directly explain this. Thanks in advance.
The Tempest Keep
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 D0 3941B669 @ 4.2GHz MSI x58 Pro-E EVGA GTX 275 896MB SLI G.SKILL F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 NEC 20WMGX2 | Samsung 206BW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPQ-850 NZXT Tempest EVO Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Tempest Keep
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 D0 3941B669 @ 4.2GHz MSI x58 Pro-E EVGA GTX 275 896MB SLI G.SKILL F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 NEC 20WMGX2 | Samsung 206BW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPQ-850 NZXT Tempest EVO Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #743 of 1477
well gobbo353 i tried your advice, still no luck

vcore at 1.312 (cpuz) i raised ICH to 1.24 and 1.26 (tried both) along with lowering VTT a notch or two, with HT on, , cant get stable for more than a few mins in prime95, my temps are ok they don't go above 80, also my mobo has a "IOH CSI" voltage and a "IOH/ICH PCIE" voltage... don't know what either of those are .. so both are on auto ...

so I'm not sure, overclocking a 930 is something else
Edited by dezerteagle323 - 6/28/10 at 5:03pm
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #744 of 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezerteagle323 View Post
well gobbo353 i tried your advice, still no luck

vcore at 1.312 (cpuz) i raised ICH to 1.24 and 1.26 (tried both) along with lowering VTT a notch or two, with HT on, cant get stable for more than a few mins in prime95, my temps are ok they don't go above 80 ... so I'm not sure, overclocking a 930 is something else
Hey dezert, are you getting BSODs or workers that are just stopping? Is that vcore volt before or after droop? If before try upping the vcore a couple more notches. You appear to be good with temps still. I'd put ich back to auto.
Edited by kuya1284 - 6/28/10 at 5:06pm
The Tempest Keep
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 D0 3941B669 @ 4.2GHz MSI x58 Pro-E EVGA GTX 275 896MB SLI G.SKILL F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 NEC 20WMGX2 | Samsung 206BW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPQ-850 NZXT Tempest EVO Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Tempest Keep
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 D0 3941B669 @ 4.2GHz MSI x58 Pro-E EVGA GTX 275 896MB SLI G.SKILL F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 NEC 20WMGX2 | Samsung 206BW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPQ-850 NZXT Tempest EVO Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #745 of 1477
i'm getting BSOD's

in bios its set at "without droop" ... not sure whats meant by before or after
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #746 of 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuya1284 View Post
Hi gobbo353, you kept mentioning that increasing the ICH (SB) will help the RAM. I was just wondering if you could explain how? I thought that it was the IOH (NB) that helped the RAM. I've trying to find answers to this, but the discussions I found don't directly explain this. Thanks in advance.
Kuya, you are correct. Not sure why gobbo thinks the RAM is linked to the Southbridge. IOH = NB, ICH=SB. The northbridge basically handles the interaction between the CPU, RAM, and PCI Express Lanes. The southbridge basically handles the Input/Output devices.
.
BMW 932i
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz (1.28V) ASUS P6X58D-E EVGA GTX 780 Classified (376.53) 3 x 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600 MHz (7-8-8-22) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Sony AD-7240S DVD RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H55 (GT AP-15 Pull + Shroud) Windows 10 Professional 64-bit ASUS PB278Q 27" LED 1440p ViewSonic VX2433wm 24" LCD 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD TV 1080p Logitech G510s EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3  Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Roccat Kone XTD (Laser) SteelSeries 4HD NVIDIA / Yamaha RX-V467 / SteelSeries Siberia v2 
  hide details  
Reply
BMW 932i
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz (1.28V) ASUS P6X58D-E EVGA GTX 780 Classified (376.53) 3 x 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600 MHz (7-8-8-22) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Sony AD-7240S DVD RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H55 (GT AP-15 Pull + Shroud) Windows 10 Professional 64-bit ASUS PB278Q 27" LED 1440p ViewSonic VX2433wm 24" LCD 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD TV 1080p Logitech G510s EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3  Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Roccat Kone XTD (Laser) SteelSeries 4HD NVIDIA / Yamaha RX-V467 / SteelSeries Siberia v2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #747 of 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezerteagle323 View Post
i'm getting BSOD's
What error code are you getting with the BSOD? It will begin with "0x", such as 0x00000124.
.
BMW 932i
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz (1.28V) ASUS P6X58D-E EVGA GTX 780 Classified (376.53) 3 x 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600 MHz (7-8-8-22) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Sony AD-7240S DVD RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H55 (GT AP-15 Pull + Shroud) Windows 10 Professional 64-bit ASUS PB278Q 27" LED 1440p ViewSonic VX2433wm 24" LCD 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD TV 1080p Logitech G510s EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3  Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Roccat Kone XTD (Laser) SteelSeries 4HD NVIDIA / Yamaha RX-V467 / SteelSeries Siberia v2 
  hide details  
Reply
BMW 932i
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz (1.28V) ASUS P6X58D-E EVGA GTX 780 Classified (376.53) 3 x 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600 MHz (7-8-8-22) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Sony AD-7240S DVD RW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H55 (GT AP-15 Pull + Shroud) Windows 10 Professional 64-bit ASUS PB278Q 27" LED 1440p ViewSonic VX2433wm 24" LCD 1080p 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD TV 1080p Logitech G510s EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3  Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Roccat Kone XTD (Laser) SteelSeries 4HD NVIDIA / Yamaha RX-V467 / SteelSeries Siberia v2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #748 of 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezerteagle323 View Post
i'm getting BSOD's

in bios its set at "without droop" ... not sure whats meant by before or after
OK, I just read your previous post (a few posts back). Sorry, I should have read that first. Just to confirm on what you're trying to accomplish, you were able to get your 4.2 OC with HT on at 1.35 volts to your VID, correct? So you're goal right now is to run 4.2 with HT, but with lower temps, right? If so, that might be a little difficult to accomplish on Air. I was running into the same heat issues as your were.

If I were you, especially while having a system that's running on Air, I would save multiple profiles in the BIOS for different needs. Here are the four profiles that I created:

1. 4.2 without HT
2. 4.0 with HT (this runs HOT, especially my IOH)
3. 4.0 without HT (for cooler temps)
4. 3.8 (to run my RAM at 1600MHz)

Good luck.
The Tempest Keep
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 D0 3941B669 @ 4.2GHz MSI x58 Pro-E EVGA GTX 275 896MB SLI G.SKILL F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 NEC 20WMGX2 | Samsung 206BW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPQ-850 NZXT Tempest EVO Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Tempest Keep
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-930 D0 3941B669 @ 4.2GHz MSI x58 Pro-E EVGA GTX 275 896MB SLI G.SKILL F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 NEC 20WMGX2 | Samsung 206BW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Antec TPQ-850 NZXT Tempest EVO Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #749 of 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Con View Post
What error code are you getting with the BSOD? It will begin with "0x", such as 0x00000124.
.
I'm getting 0x0000000A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuya1284 View Post
OK, I just read your previous post (a few posts back). Sorry, I should have read that first. Just to confirm on what you're trying to accomplish, you were able to get your 4.2 OC with HT on at 1.35 volts to your VID, correct? So you're goal right now is to run 4.2 with HT, but with lower temps, right? If so, that might be a little difficult to accomplish on Air. I was running into the same heat issues as your were.

If I were you, especially while having a system that's running on Air, I would save multiple profiles in the BIOS for different needs. Here are the four profiles that I created:

1. 4.2 without HT
2. 4.0 with HT (this runs HOT, especially my IOH)
3. 4.0 without HT (for cooler temps)
4. 3.8 (to run my RAM at 1600MHz)

Good luck.
it works fine with HT OFF @4.2ghz with vcore 1.312 (VTT=1.34, PLL=1.88, IOH=1.2, ICH=1.2, vdimm=1.654)

with HT on vcore has to be @1.352 (rest of the settings same as above)

the more I think about it, I think you're right its just the physical barrier I have to live with, considering I'm on air cooling, considering its a 930 (which tend to need higher volts than 920), and considering HT is on ....... 1.352 might just be that number I won't be able to pass

btw thanks for the help guys its really appreciated
Edited by dezerteagle323 - 6/28/10 at 7:15pm
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #750 of 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezerteagle323 View Post
thanks for your help gobbo353

yea my minimum stable vcore with HT on is 1.352 .. I tried a notch below that and it became unstable

my mobo only has one PLL and I'm assuming its the cpu PLL, and thats set at 1.88, don't have a QPI PLL or its named something different in my bios, but there really arent any other options in there, and I dont think theres any options for the cpu clock drive or the pci-e clock drive either (I havnt seen or found it in there)

the reason I only have a push on the TRUE is because the rear 120mm exhaust fan (also a tricool at the same rpm) on my 1200 case kinda lines up with the TRUE, so i figured I really dont need a pull fan since its only about 3 inches away from the TRUE and basically doing the same thing, but I might try to put a pull fan in there since the alignment of the rear exhaust and the TRUE are off by an inch vertically

and yea I've been meaning to tighten my ram timings, just havn't really gotten to it yet

so when I get home I guess I'll try to notch up the ICH and notch down the VTT

As mentioned i have Antec 1200 and did the same but with Push/Pull and found a lowering in temps a couple of degrees.. you should also..

I'm assuming direct contact with the heatsink as opposed to rear fan forces flow i.e airflow tend to follow path of least resistence.
960 Done Right
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 960 (25x180) @4.50 (VC1.55 HT & SS on) GA-X58A-UD7 rev1 ATI Radeon HD 5970 @950/1200 .. GTS 450 @940/2200 12GB GSKILL F3-16000CL9-2TGBTD @1760 88820 1.62v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
GSkill Falcon I - 128GB SSD whatever WINDOWS 7 x64 48" Sony 1080p 
PowerCase
CORSAIR HX-850 ANTEC 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
960 Done Right
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 960 (25x180) @4.50 (VC1.55 HT & SS on) GA-X58A-UD7 rev1 ATI Radeon HD 5970 @950/1200 .. GTS 450 @940/2200 12GB GSKILL F3-16000CL9-2TGBTD @1760 88820 1.62v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
GSkill Falcon I - 128GB SSD whatever WINDOWS 7 x64 48" Sony 1080p 
PowerCase
CORSAIR HX-850 ANTEC 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 or 930 to 4.0ghz