Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs. - Page 447

post #4461 of 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbournex View Post

No more need to hope... It will come true. Can't tell you what's happening internally, but we're working on something big... or shall I say small... ph34r-smiley.gif

We'll have to see about your definition of small. tongue.gif I kid I kid.

Anything in the mITX space is great for the SFF community.

My initial and main problem with the Prodigy is not necessarily the case itself. What I worry about is other case manufacturers seeing this and latching onto the idea thus creating larger and larger mITX cases. It was and is probably an over reaction on my part to view at it like this but it is not a completely ridiculous thought. Looking at everything Prodigy in the last few months, it would be a smart business move to also contribute to the larger mITX market. Hopefully my fears are unfounded.

I might seem to be leading some crusade against the Prodigy but I am just being somewhat territorial over the SFF space. I apologize if I have made myself seem like an ass because of this.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3450S Asus P8H77-I AMD HD7790 G.Skill Sniper  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Scorpio Black OCZ Vertex II Samsung HD204UI Samsung HD204UI 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung HD204UI LG L246WP Razer Blackwidow Ultimate PicoPSU-160-XT 
CaseMouseAudio
My desk Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Fiio E10 USB DAC 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-3615QM GT 650m Samsung Crucial M4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 17.3" 1920x1080 Delta SADP-90FH D 90W 
MouseAudio
Logitech M505 Fiio E10 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3450S Asus P8H77-I AMD HD7790 G.Skill Sniper  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Scorpio Black OCZ Vertex II Samsung HD204UI Samsung HD204UI 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Samsung HD204UI LG L246WP Razer Blackwidow Ultimate PicoPSU-160-XT 
CaseMouseAudio
My desk Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Fiio E10 USB DAC 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-3615QM GT 650m Samsung Crucial M4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 17.3" 1920x1080 Delta SADP-90FH D 90W 
MouseAudio
Logitech M505 Fiio E10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4462 of 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourcore9brker View Post

We'll have to see about your definition of small. tongue.gif I kid I kid.
Anything in the mITX space is great for the SFF community.
My initial and main problem with the Prodigy is not necessarily the case itself. What I worry about is other case manufacturers seeing this and latching onto the idea thus creating larger and larger mITX cases. It was and is probably an over reaction on my part to view at it like this but it is not a completely ridiculous thought. Looking at everything Prodigy in the last few months, it would be a smart business move to also contribute to the larger mITX market. Hopefully my fears are unfounded.
I might seem to be leading some crusade against the Prodigy but I am just being somewhat territorial over the SFF space. I apologize if I have made myself seem like an ass because of this.
Prodigy wasn't made to be "SFF", and ITX does not necessarily mean SFF (ITX doesn't HAVE TO be this/that). We called it a compact case, without compromise. If companies had continued to consider the ITX mindset as the "smallest possible case", there would actually be less interest in high performance boards in the market, just because motherboard companies will think "I don't really need this overclocking feature in this board because there's not going to be a heatsink that will support it" etc etc.
The way we designed it, is we sat down and brainstormed what fun things we wanted in the case, and in the ITX form factor. Yes, there's cases with mATX support out there that are similar in size with the Prodigy. But their design compromises many of the fun things we brainstormed.

We understand that there are smaller cases out there, and then there's Prodigy, but as I've said, they were made for different purposes. It's exactly like getting a EATX motherboard/XLATX, and finding the case that just fits 1x triple 120mm rad, 1x dual 120mm rad and calling it a day, or a case that fits 2 x quadruple 120mm and 4 x triple 120mm. Both fits the motherboard just fine. With Prodigy, there's room for that one thick radiator, 2 if you really tried. There's the A side of ITX, there's the B side.

For the user that has a Prodigy and has a single gpu, single HDD, and stock heatsink, well that is completely up to the user because everyone is subjective to their choice of cases in terms of styling. Or, they want the flexibility to upgrade in the future to a NAS, or build the city's water pipe line in their case.

Just my 2 cents.
Edited by xbournex - 8/21/12 at 9:31am
post #4463 of 13202
Well said Bourne...Last I checked, this wasn't the SFF club, it's for mATX and mITX builds that are "beastly"

If you want SFF according to the definition some people have been floating around in this thread, go get a rasberry pi and then build a "real" SFF. I'm tired of coming into this thread and seeing a certain group of people judging by their own ill-informed definitions...Rather than judging, how about being more encouraging because the more companies that are producing a product like the Prodigy (I term it a lan-party case but "compact" works) The more mITX motherboards will be produced by more manufacturers...The more motherboards that are produced will lead to smaller and better innovation not to mention the other complimentary products that will go along with making mITX more mainstream...next thing you know, the entire SFF niche makes a leap forward with even smaller, better, faster, etc...rather than judging, you should be thanking these companies for trying to help further the choices available for your "hobby"

my two cents...and isn't meant to single any individual out.
monsterITX
(13 items)
 
mPowered
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k EVGA Z87 Stinger Sapphire 290x EVGA  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 34UM65 EVGA Supernova 750G Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech Performance MX 
Audio
Denon AVR-1913 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k MSI MPower Max AC MSI GTX 780 Lightning MSI GTX 780 Lightning 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
GSkill Trident Samsung 850 Pro EVGA 1300 Watt Case Labs Mercury S8 
  hide details  
Reply
monsterITX
(13 items)
 
mPowered
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k EVGA Z87 Stinger Sapphire 290x EVGA  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 34UM65 EVGA Supernova 750G Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech Performance MX 
Audio
Denon AVR-1913 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k MSI MPower Max AC MSI GTX 780 Lightning MSI GTX 780 Lightning 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
GSkill Trident Samsung 850 Pro EVGA 1300 Watt Case Labs Mercury S8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4464 of 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by longroadtrip View Post

Well said Bourne...Last I checked, this wasn't the SFF club, it's for mATX and mITX builds that are "beastly"
If you want SFF according to the definition some people have been floating around in this thread, go get a rasberry pi and then build a "real" SFF.

Hang on mate, no need to get divisive! redface.gif

SFF does have an official (*if you can agree about calling Intel's documents official) definition: 8-19 liters. Prodigy is bigger, even with the hat and boots off. No problem: bitfenix rep even agrees it's not SFF. Raspberry Pi is not SFF. The thread is talking about "mATX and mITX" because it predates the subforum and was moved in here on creation. The name is unfortunate, has caused many arguments in the past and the original poster didn't hang around to clean up the mess or continue the club. But the subforum itself is called Small Form Factor. You have to understand that those of us who were here before the Prodigy was released are feeling like a bunch of tourists just invaded our local bar.
drunken.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by longroadtrip View Post

I'm tired of coming into this thread and seeing a certain group of people judging by their own ill-informed definitions... and isn't meant to single any individual out

We had this (10,000 imperial pints volume)


and then came this (15,500 imperial pints volume)


and now you are all like "club says Mini on the door - we're coming in like it or not!" tongue.gifthumb.gif
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4465 of 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

You have to understand that those of us who were here before the Prodigy was released are feeling like a bunch of tourists just invaded our local bar.
drunken.gif

This is an absolutely perfect analogy
Nihilus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 - 4.5GHz Rampage IV Formula EVGA GTX680 - 1.25GHz Samsung Green - 2000MHz/CL10/4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Green - 1TB Plextor M3 - 128GB Custom Water Windows 7 Professonal - x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM Ducky G2 Pro Seasonic 660XP - 660W Define R4 - Pearl Black 
MouseMouse Pad
Kone Pure Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Nihilus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3820 - 4.5GHz Rampage IV Formula EVGA GTX680 - 1.25GHz Samsung Green - 2000MHz/CL10/4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Green - 1TB Plextor M3 - 128GB Custom Water Windows 7 Professonal - x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM Ducky G2 Pro Seasonic 660XP - 660W Define R4 - Pearl Black 
MouseMouse Pad
Kone Pure Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4466 of 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

Hang on mate, no need to get divisive! redface.gif
SFF does have an official (*if you can agree about calling Intel's documents official) definition: 8-19 liters. Prodigy is bigger, even with the hat and boots off. No problem: bitfenix rep even agrees it's not SFF. Raspberry Pi is not SFF. The thread is talking about "mATX and mITX" because it predates the subforum and was moved in here on creation. The name is unfortunate, has caused many arguments in the past and the original poster didn't hang around to clean up the mess or continue the club. But the subforum itself is called Small Form Factor. You have to understand that those of us who were here before the Prodigy was released are feeling like a bunch of tourists just invaded our local bar.
drunken.gif
We had this (10,000 imperial pints volume) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
and then came this (15,500 imperial pints volume) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
and now you are all like "club says Mini on the door - we're coming in like it or not!" tongue.gifthumb.gif

I have to agree that this is not the sff club. I posted my smallish case last year here and no one complained about it. It's bigger than a Prodigy. I have seen plenty of other builds here over the last year or so that are also larger than the Prodigy. It looks to me like some people have a bee in their rears because they just don't like the Prodigy.

This is the case I posted and no one complained about it being too big for this forum:



Of course, I'm still in awe at the little tiny cases people here tend to use and what they do with them, but it's really been very few people who have complained about the Prodigy, and none of them complained about cases like the one above or any others of similar size I've seen here over the last year. It really looks like a few people just don't like the Prodigy for some reason. Otherwise I would have expected more complaints previous to the Prodigy.
Nukeyork
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4770k ASUS Sabertooth Z87 MSI Radeon RX480 Gaming X 8GB MSI Radeon RX480 Gaming X 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16G Kingston 1600MHz Corsair Force Series SSD 180GB Crucial MX300 SSD 525GB Western Digital WD10EALS 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-ray RW Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate Windows 10 64 pro LG 34UM65-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Hcman Zhuque Teamwolf Mechanical Corsair AX750 Corsair 760T Steel Series Sensei Wireless Gaming Mouse 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Steel Series 4HD Pro On Board Thermaltake X 5G Superspeed USB 3.0 Hard Drive ... Logitech Driving Force GT Steering Wheel 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Joystick NZXT Hue LED Controller Razer Orbweaver Chroma RGB Mechanical Gaming Co... Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm 
  hide details  
Reply
Nukeyork
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4770k ASUS Sabertooth Z87 MSI Radeon RX480 Gaming X 8GB MSI Radeon RX480 Gaming X 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16G Kingston 1600MHz Corsair Force Series SSD 180GB Crucial MX300 SSD 525GB Western Digital WD10EALS 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-ray RW Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate Windows 10 64 pro LG 34UM65-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Hcman Zhuque Teamwolf Mechanical Corsair AX750 Corsair 760T Steel Series Sensei Wireless Gaming Mouse 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Steel Series 4HD Pro On Board Thermaltake X 5G Superspeed USB 3.0 Hard Drive ... Logitech Driving Force GT Steering Wheel 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X Joystick NZXT Hue LED Controller Razer Orbweaver Chroma RGB Mechanical Gaming Co... Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4467 of 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenesis View Post

Yep, people haven't been able to get the Z77 ASRock board to work with Mountain Lion.
Also has anyone posted this yet? http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037498566&postcount=589
The prodigy looks like an exact clone of that Windy...but with more plastic.
That thing is cool. Never seen it before. +r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHunter View Post

Well here's my PC-Q08B, my pride and joy ^L_^
I apologise for the bad pictures, I don't have a good phone or a DSLR like everyone else in the First World. Inb4 cable management thumb.gif {pics}
I'd say you've got a pretty decent build there. The pictures aren't anywhere near terribad either. It's cute next to that gigantic display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbournex View Post

No more need to hope... It will come true. Can't tell you what's happening internally, but we're working on something big... or shall I say small... ph34r-smiley.gif
Any clues as to whether it's a Prodigy v2? Or is it a totally new case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbournex View Post

Prodigy wasn't made to be "SFF", and ITX does not necessarily mean SFF (ITX doesn't HAVE TO be this/that). We called it a compact case, without compromise. If companies had continued to consider the ITX mindset as the "smallest possible case", there would actually be less interest in high performance boards in the market, just because motherboard companies will think "I don't really need this overclocking feature in this board because there's not going to be a heatsink that will support it" etc etc.
The way we designed it, is we sat down and brainstormed what fun things we wanted in the case, and in the ITX form factor. Yes, there's cases with mATX support out there that are similar in size with the Prodigy. But their design compromises many of the fun things we brainstormed.
We understand that there are smaller cases out there, and then there's Prodigy, but as I've said, they were made for different purposes. It's exactly like getting a EATX motherboard/XLATX, and finding the case that just fits 1x triple 120mm rad, 1x dual 120mm rad and calling it a day, or a case that fits 2 x quadruple 120mm and 4 x triple 120mm. Both fits the motherboard just fine. With Prodigy, there's room for that one thick radiator, 2 if you really tried. There's the A side of ITX, there's the B side.
For the user that has a Prodigy and has a single gpu, single HDD, and stock heatsink, well that is completely up to the user because everyone is subjective to their choice of cases in terms of styling. Or, they want the flexibility to upgrade in the future to a NAS, or build the city's water pipe line in their case.
Just my 2 cents.
I think all of us who have been discussing the purpose of the Prodigy understand this viewpoint very clearly.
It's been stated two or three times. There totally is a market for the Prodigy. Somebody posted a log in here very recently that makes use of a WC'd 690 and CPU on 200+240. That's efficient and it isn't hard to tell. Granted, thanks for throwing out your two cents.
I am going to comment on your post however: Usually, when someone trys to resolve any misunderstanding, and, in the process humbles them-self and calls them-self an ass in the process, one responds with something like,
"Oh, no! Don't worry about it. We're all just having a friendly discussion here. I didn't take it that way at all."
In addition, noting that your post was a reply to armour, you literally addressed absolutely nothing he was talking about. His post was an apology and a comment on how he hopes large ITX cases don't become a trend. You responded by discussing the awesome features of the Prodigy and basically said "I didn't say it was SFF!" (note, neither did armour, the person you're replying to). In technical terms, this classifies as a Fallacy(Red Herring). I'm just going to state again that his attempt at resolving any heat or misunderstanding in the form of an apology was promptly ignored. I don't mean this as a personal attack. This is simply a small criticism, as I would expect a little bit more from a vendor rep. You have been very friendly so far, and I sincerely hope that you remain active with this community. Company presence here is invaluable to us as a forum of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroid View Post

I have to agree that this is not the sff club. I posted my smallish case last year here and no one complained about it. It's bigger than a Prodigy. I have seen plenty of other builds here over the last year or so that are also larger than the Prodigy. It looks to me like some people have a bee in their rears because they just don't like the Prodigy.
This is the case I posted and no one complained about it being too big for this forum:
{pic}
Of course, I'm still in awe at the little tiny cases people here tend to use and what they do with them, but it's really been very few people who have complained about the Prodigy, and none of them complained about cases like the one above or any others of similar size I've seen here over the last year. It really looks like a few people just don't like the Prodigy for some reason. Otherwise I would have expected more complaints previous to the Prodigy.
I think there are a few things to note here.

- That is an mATX form factor case. Conventional mATX cases don't get much smaller than that.
- I'm willing to infer that that board is more on the budget side of things. This is not the case with builds that use Asus and Asrock SFF baords such as the Rampage series.
- Naturally, one would expect a certain level of quality and sensibility when it comes to a build that is clearly being built by someone with the ability to purchase all of the correct parts.
- (I'm not saying budget builds cannot be of high quality)
- I like the Prodigy. I don't like what some people use it for.
- It's rather rude when you dismiss someone's well-expressed, valid opinion as complaining.
- I'm glad we share an appreciation for a large spectrum of builds.

Now, this is the SFF Sub-Forum.
Granted, this thread didn't start out technically as the SFF Club, but I'd like you to define SFF for me.
From the title, you can deduce that the builds in here are going to be smaller than normal.
Granted, that doesn't mean large builds aren't welcome here. It's not like we have a ban in this club on anything over xL for xxx form factor or anything. It's rather open.

However.
I'm going to use an analogy here.
If you were to put an mATX ROG board into a TJ07, throw a 560Ti in it, use the stock cooler on a Pentium, and post it on the forum, you would most definitely be chastised, because you're not utilizing the entirety of such a fantastic enthusiast case. It's not exactly the same, but the same principle applies to the Prodigy or the Arc Midi or any other case out there.

I don't believe there is any prejudice here at all.
We're all just discussing, I hope.
post #4468 of 13202
Why do people hate the prodigy!?!? i think its an awesome case and was done right the first time. will i buy one? probably not, but it seems like a all rounded case, you can fit bigger hardware (long video cards) and have room to comfortably water cool your system with the right about of rad surface, all well looking somewhat classy and not over the top gamer looking. its perfect for someone who wants a portable gaming desktop imo.

I was an early adopter of the Raven RV01 or FT03, I love Silverstone to death but those to cases had some serious and minor flaws, hence the reason i dont own them anymore, but at least they fixed there problems releasing the RV02 and FT03 mini. Bitfenix on the other hand brought out an amazing case and seems perfect on its first try.

why do people hate because its m-itx and isnt as small as the Silverstone Sugo series or smaller Antec Li Lian cases??
Edited by Qu1ckset - 8/21/12 at 7:37pm
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4469 of 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qu1ckset View Post

Why do people hate the prodigy!?!?
doh.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthybox View Post

- I like the Prodigy. I don't like what some people use it for.
^ i'm pretty sure this is the consensus for anyone criticizing the case.
post #4470 of 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qu1ckset View Post

Why do people hate the prodigy!?!?
No one is showing hate towards it. Whether or not it is an SFF case is in question. (although xbournex already pointed out it is a compact case that doesn't compromise functionality).
Cashews
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz (1.272V) ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M PNY GTX 660 Ti SLI PNY 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1333MHz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM Arctic Cooling ACFZ13 92MM CPU Cooler Windows 7  Dell S2440L 24" LED Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K520 PC Power and Cooling MKIII 600W Fractal Design Core 1000 Logitech M310 
Audio
Logitech Z130 Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Cashews
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz (1.272V) ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M PNY GTX 660 Ti SLI PNY 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1333MHz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM Arctic Cooling ACFZ13 92MM CPU Cooler Windows 7  Dell S2440L 24" LED Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K520 PC Power and Cooling MKIII 600W Fractal Design Core 1000 Logitech M310 
Audio
Logitech Z130 Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs.