Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs. - Page 100

post #991 of 13159
I had a question for you guys, I'm doing a custom case for an matx build and I've noticed there's pretty much two ways to go to keep the size small.

1) Tower style with PSU on the bottom or on top. (I would probably do bottom if I did it this way to have a fan at the top)

2) Desktop style with PSU over the CPU.

Now the the number 2 option, doesn't the PSU get in the way of any air cooler for the CPU?

Has anyone ever considered combining the 2 for optimal size? Tower style with the PSU over the CPU.

Hypothetically, with a big enough fan on the top of the case and one at the lower bottom, could this possibly provide enough cooling?

Should I draw a diagram? I'm not sure people will understand me....
Mini Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
core I5 2310 Asrock Z77-E ITX Asus 6850 DirectCU 1GB 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
128GB Kingston SSDNOW SATAIII Seagate 7200RPM 500GB SATAII Windows 7 Home Premium Sony Bravia NX720 46" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Standard Keyboard 450w Silverstone SFX Silverstone SUGO SG05BB Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
Audio
Creative Labs Omega Tactic 3d 
  hide details  
Reply
Mini Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
core I5 2310 Asrock Z77-E ITX Asus 6850 DirectCU 1GB 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
128GB Kingston SSDNOW SATAIII Seagate 7200RPM 500GB SATAII Windows 7 Home Premium Sony Bravia NX720 46" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Standard Keyboard 450w Silverstone SFX Silverstone SUGO SG05BB Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
Audio
Creative Labs Omega Tactic 3d 
  hide details  
Reply
post #992 of 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by exad View Post

Now the the number 2 option, doesn't the PSU get in the way of any air cooler for the CPU?

Has anyone ever considered combining the 2 for optimal size? Tower style with the PSU over the CPU.

Hypothetically, with a big enough fan on the top of the case and one at the lower bottom, could this possibly provide enough cooling?

Should I draw a diagram? I'm not sure people will understand me....
1) yes, it gets in the way. In my SG02, I always recommended getting a PSU with at least a 120mm+ fan on the bottom to help pull away hot air from the CPU socket area, or a very good, but Low Profile, CPU air cooler.

2) SG04, iirc

3) Antec P180 mini, but it's possibly the largest mATX case in history, lol
Longshot r4.2
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Maximus IV GENE-Z eVGA GTX780 Ti 3GB Sniper 8GB 1600 1.25V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M4 256GB + C300 128GB + WD Red 4TB LG Blu-ray RW external Windows 10 U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 AX850 FT03b Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Bubbles Pad NR1604 + RB-51 II 
  hide details  
Reply
Longshot r4.2
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Maximus IV GENE-Z eVGA GTX780 Ti 3GB Sniper 8GB 1600 1.25V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M4 256GB + C300 128GB + WD Red 4TB LG Blu-ray RW external Windows 10 U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 AX850 FT03b Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Bubbles Pad NR1604 + RB-51 II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #993 of 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
1) yes, it gets in the way. In my SG02, I always recommended getting a PSU with at least a 120mm+ fan on the bottom to help pull away hot air from the CPU socket area, or a very good, but Low Profile, CPU air cooler.

2) SG04, iirc

3) Antec P180 mini, but it's possibly the largest mATX case in history, lol
This is what I meant.



Is this feasible?
Mini Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
core I5 2310 Asrock Z77-E ITX Asus 6850 DirectCU 1GB 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
128GB Kingston SSDNOW SATAIII Seagate 7200RPM 500GB SATAII Windows 7 Home Premium Sony Bravia NX720 46" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Standard Keyboard 450w Silverstone SFX Silverstone SUGO SG05BB Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
Audio
Creative Labs Omega Tactic 3d 
  hide details  
Reply
Mini Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
core I5 2310 Asrock Z77-E ITX Asus 6850 DirectCU 1GB 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
128GB Kingston SSDNOW SATAIII Seagate 7200RPM 500GB SATAII Windows 7 Home Premium Sony Bravia NX720 46" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Standard Keyboard 450w Silverstone SFX Silverstone SUGO SG05BB Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
Audio
Creative Labs Omega Tactic 3d 
  hide details  
Reply
post #994 of 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by exad View Post
This is what I meant.



Is this feasible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
1) yes, it gets in the way. In my SG02, I always recommended getting a PSU with at least a 120mm+ fan on the bottom to help pull away hot air from the CPU socket area, or a very good, but Low Profile, CPU air cooler.

2) SG04, iirc

3) Antec P180 mini, but it's possibly the largest mATX case in history, lol
SG04
Longshot r4.2
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Maximus IV GENE-Z eVGA GTX780 Ti 3GB Sniper 8GB 1600 1.25V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M4 256GB + C300 128GB + WD Red 4TB LG Blu-ray RW external Windows 10 U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 AX850 FT03b Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Bubbles Pad NR1604 + RB-51 II 
  hide details  
Reply
Longshot r4.2
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Maximus IV GENE-Z eVGA GTX780 Ti 3GB Sniper 8GB 1600 1.25V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M4 256GB + C300 128GB + WD Red 4TB LG Blu-ray RW external Windows 10 U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 AX850 FT03b Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Bubbles Pad NR1604 + RB-51 II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #995 of 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
Oh lol, well at least I know it'll work! Thanks, sorry I didn't check the link I assumed you were talking about a different SG case without checking.
Mini Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
core I5 2310 Asrock Z77-E ITX Asus 6850 DirectCU 1GB 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
128GB Kingston SSDNOW SATAIII Seagate 7200RPM 500GB SATAII Windows 7 Home Premium Sony Bravia NX720 46" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Standard Keyboard 450w Silverstone SFX Silverstone SUGO SG05BB Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
Audio
Creative Labs Omega Tactic 3d 
  hide details  
Reply
Mini Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
core I5 2310 Asrock Z77-E ITX Asus 6850 DirectCU 1GB 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
128GB Kingston SSDNOW SATAIII Seagate 7200RPM 500GB SATAII Windows 7 Home Premium Sony Bravia NX720 46" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Standard Keyboard 450w Silverstone SFX Silverstone SUGO SG05BB Microsoft Sidewinder X5 
Audio
Creative Labs Omega Tactic 3d 
  hide details  
Reply
post #996 of 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by exad View Post
Oh lol, well at least I know it'll work! Thanks, sorry I didn't check the link I assumed you were talking about a different SG case without checking.
Thank you for asking in the right place, and (hopefully soon), welcome to the mATX club (more of a social stomping ground, since we have no club registrar).
Longshot r4.2
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Maximus IV GENE-Z eVGA GTX780 Ti 3GB Sniper 8GB 1600 1.25V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M4 256GB + C300 128GB + WD Red 4TB LG Blu-ray RW external Windows 10 U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 AX850 FT03b Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Bubbles Pad NR1604 + RB-51 II 
  hide details  
Reply
Longshot r4.2
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Maximus IV GENE-Z eVGA GTX780 Ti 3GB Sniper 8GB 1600 1.25V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
M4 256GB + C300 128GB + WD Red 4TB LG Blu-ray RW external Windows 10 U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 AX850 FT03b Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Bubbles Pad NR1604 + RB-51 II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #997 of 13159
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say that I'm amazed how you guys squeeze so much hardware into such little space! So after reading this thread for a while I finally decided that I also want a little machine that can blow out anything on it's way. So I will be very thankful if someone will answer a few questions I came upon:

1) I decided that for the looks I would want a case in a form factor like Lian Li PC-V350 i.e not something like nzxt vulcan because I really do want to change the shape
2) So then what is the most spacious case like that and what is the biggest video card that can fit in it? Is there any chance of putting smth like 5870 or 470\\480gtx in there?
3) As far as I understood the H50 is the way to go for cpu cooling?
4) What is the best possible hdd setup - a ssd + hdd or 2 hdd's in raid0?
5) What is better in terms of productivity out of such small hardware - amd or intel platform?

and finally I would be really glad if someone could put up some parts list for a budget of 1200$-1500$ (actually of course the less the better )
Edited by Iozeg - 7/16/10 at 1:25am
SFF Power
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3570k ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR Western Digital WD6400AAKS Scythe KAZE MASTER Thermalright AXP-100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Asus WV222U Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 Chieftec GPS-500C 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 120 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
SFF Power
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3570k ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR Western Digital WD6400AAKS Scythe KAZE MASTER Thermalright AXP-100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Asus WV222U Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 Chieftec GPS-500C 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 120 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #998 of 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iozeg View Post
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say that I'm amazed how you guys squeeze so much hardware into such little space! So after reading this thread for a while I finally decided that I also want a little machine that can blow out anything on it's way. So I will be very thankful if someone will answer a few questions I came upon:

1) I decided that for the looks I would want a case in a form factor like Lian Li PC-V350 i.e not something like nzxt vulcan because I really do want to change the shape
2) So then what is the most spacious case like that and what is the biggest video card that can fit in it? Is there any chance of putting smth like 5870 or 470\\480gtx in there?
3) As far as I understood the H50 is the way to go for cpu cooling?
4) What is the best possible hdd setup - a ssd + hdd or 2 hdd's in raid0?
5) What is better in terms of productivity out of such small hardware - amd or intel platform?

and finally I would be really glad if someone could put up some parts list for a budget of 1200$-1500$ (actually of course the less the better )
hold it right there.........brb
gonna start a preliminary parts list for you mate

wait, do you need moniter, OS, keyboard etc?
I'm just gonna do a basic parts list for you excluding what I listed
Edited by Mr.Pie - 7/16/10 at 4:46am
post #999 of 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post
hold it right there.........brb
gonna start a preliminary parts list for you mate

wait, do you need moniter, OS, keyboard etc?
I'm just gonna do a basic parts list for you excluding what I listed
Thanks a lot! No I need only the case + parts nothing more The budget is more oк less settled to 1350$ but keep in mind, that a rig that costs ~500$ in the US costs ~650$-700$ here Plus not all the parts are available. Thanks again!

It's actually my rig sold and what I'll earn will be going into the new one.
Edited by Iozeg - 7/16/10 at 5:13am
SFF Power
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3570k ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR Western Digital WD6400AAKS Scythe KAZE MASTER Thermalright AXP-100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Asus WV222U Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 Chieftec GPS-500C 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 120 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
SFF Power
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3570k ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR Western Digital WD6400AAKS Scythe KAZE MASTER Thermalright AXP-100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit Asus WV222U Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 Chieftec GPS-500C 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master Elite 120 Logitech G9x 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1000 of 13159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iozeg View Post
Thanks a lot! No I need only the case + parts nothing more The budget is more oк less settled to 1350$ but keep in mind, that a rig that costs ~500$ in the US costs ~650$-700$ here Plus not all the parts are available. Thanks again!

It's actually my rig sold and what I'll earn will be going into the new one.
so will you keep your old HDDs?

whats your currency? GBP?

I'll list the parts and prices from the egg
and I'll build a AMD and a Intel Platform for you to choose

Edit
AMD Platform (look at attatched pic for more info)
PII X4 955 BE
Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL7
MSI 890GXM G65
Evga GTX470 with JC2 Coupon
Corsair TX750w PSU
Corsair H50 Cooler with 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoons
TIM: TX3
Lian Li PC-V352R M-ATX HTPC case

Intel

I will finish a build after I wake up

Edited by Mr.Pie - 7/16/10 at 5:32am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs.