GOT IT INSTALLED. The experience...
1. Went to Comcast this afternoon to swap my modem for the new DOCSYS 3.0 modem. This is the modem that allows users to take advantage of the new extra bandwidth.
2. After waiting line for an hour, I finally got to the window. I explained that I needed to swap the modem out, and the 2nd tier techs checked on availability at this location, and that it was confirmed on availability. She looked at me funny and told me that she would ask the manager and the tech.
3. 2 min later, she comes back and smugishly tells me that they don't do that here. I asked her to clarify, and she said "Exactly what I said, we don't do that here..." I told her that I spoke with the high level tech support, and they confirmed that I can swap the modem out for the DOCSYS 3.0, and I asked for the manager.
4. The manager comes back, and after talking with the clerk, she tells me that they have never heard of the DOCSYS modem. I told her the situation, and she looked at my account. She glances over and tells me that I can just use my old modem for this. I told her that she was wrong, and I asked to speak to HER manager.
5. She tells me that she will call her manager, and ask her about it. I told her that I waited in line for an hour, and I demanded her to call her manager instantly, which she did.
6. She told me to have a sit on the bench, and I waited for another twenty minutes.
7. She calls me over and tells me that she is very sorry. She was not told of this new DOCSYS system, and she had confirmation that they are authorized to give out the new modems.
8. I told her it was okay, and picked up my new modem.
TOTAL TIME SPENT: 2 hours
9. After getting home, I installed the new modem, and tried to get online. No luck.
10. I called Tech Support, and told them to send over a diagnostic signal to see if the modem had the right boot code. It did not. So she sent over the signal, and it took about 5 min for it to boot up.
11. Series of blinking green and blue lights, and no internet.
12. She makes me jump through few more hoops, resetting the modem dozen times, resetting my router dozen times, and she tells me that it's my router that is the culprit. She tells me that these DOCSYS modems are very picky about routers, and she tells me that I should get one from them.
13. I plug in my laptop directly to the modem, without telling her, and NO GO.
14. I explain to her that I am an IT pro, and I tell her that it's not my router.
15. She calls her boss and asks if she did everything okay.
16. She did not.
17. She finally does it the right way, and BOOM! We are good to go.
18. She apologizes, I accept, and I am doing speed tests.
19. Screenshots included.