Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Lancool Dragonlord Owners Thread!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Lancool Dragonlord Owners Thread!! - Page 87

post #861 of 2022
Hi, new poster here... Anyway, I'm planning on purchasing this case, and according to the user reviews on Newegg, the 4 fans all use very short 3 pin cables.

Now, according to the online user manual for the motherboard I'm getting, there are only 2 system fan headers (but only one of them 3 pin, the other one 4 pin).

There is also a "power fan header" that's 3 pin also.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H.

So ANYWAY....... I need to figure out exactly what additionally I'm going to have to buy to make sure I can safely have all 4 fans hooked up to the motherboard. (Please give links to product on Newegg... I'm a first time system builder here..).
thenext8seconds
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.82 Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H G.Skill Eco Series 4GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Asus VS247H-P 24" LED 1080p Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech Z-2300 speakers Denon AH-D2000 headphones FiiO E17 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
thenext8seconds
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.82 Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H G.Skill Eco Series 4GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Asus VS247H-P 24" LED 1080p Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech Z-2300 speakers Denon AH-D2000 headphones FiiO E17 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #862 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext8seconds View Post
Hi, new poster here... Anyway, I'm planning on purchasing this case, and according to the user reviews on Newegg, the 4 fans all use very short 3 pin cables.

Now, according to the online user manual for the motherboard I'm getting, there are only 2 system fan headers (but only one of them 3 pin, the other one 4 pin).

There is also a "power fan header" that's 3 pin also.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H.

So ANYWAY....... I need to figure out exactly what additionally I'm going to have to buy to make sure I can safely have all 4 fans hooked up to the motherboard. (Please give links to product on Newegg... I'm a first time system builder here..).
What youll probably want to get is a fan cable extension, or you could do something like a Y-Splitter, to run 2 fans off the same header, which can also act as the fan cable extension.

3-pin Fan Extension

3-pin Fan Y-Splitter

4-pin Fan Y-Splitter (for PWM)
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #863 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmisery View Post
What youll probably want to get is a fan cable extension, or you could do something like a Y-Splitter, to run 2 fans off the same header, which can also act as the fan cable extension.

3-pin Fan Extension

3-pin Fan Y-Splitter

4-pin Fan Y-Splitter (for PWM)
what does pwm stand for? and so, i'll need to purchase how many of each one of these? and where will i plug each thing into? please be a little more detailed. i just need what i'm going to have to do to be explained step by step. lol i'm a noob at this stuff

oh, and what about the fact that that's a 4 pin? won't i then have to purchase two 3-pin to 4-pin adapters? so confused
Edited by thenext8seconds - 6/12/10 at 5:06pm
thenext8seconds
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.82 Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H G.Skill Eco Series 4GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Asus VS247H-P 24" LED 1080p Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech Z-2300 speakers Denon AH-D2000 headphones FiiO E17 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
thenext8seconds
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.82 Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H G.Skill Eco Series 4GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Asus VS247H-P 24" LED 1080p Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech Z-2300 speakers Denon AH-D2000 headphones FiiO E17 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #864 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext8seconds View Post
what does pwm stand for? and so, i'll need to purchase how many of each one of these? and where will i plug each thing into? please be a little more detailed. i just need what i'm going to have to do to be explained step by step. lol i'm a noob at this stuff

oh, and what about the fact that that's a 4 pin? won't i then have to purchase two 3-pin to 4-pin adapters? so confused
No worries.

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) refers to the method of applying a signal to the fan that will vary the width of the fan's pulse. On a PWM fan, the 4th wire consists of the PWM line and will be directly proportional to the speed of the fan. That is to say, a high duty cycle will produce high speeds and a low duty cycle will produce idle speeds.

So what does this really mean? Rather than running your fan at 100% full speed, the motherboard can automatically control the speed of the fan for you, based on different criteria, typically by temperature ratings. The warmer it gets, the faster the fan goes, the cooler it gets, the slower the fan goes.

Is this something you really need? Well, that's up to you. I personally don't run any PWM fans. Mine are all 3-pin and run 100% full speed. Alternatively, you could look into getting a Fan Controller and you can hook up your fans directly to it, then manually control the speeds of all of your fans. This is pretty common with the overclock enthusiasts.

So, getting back to your question regarding what to buy. Since your motherboard supports 2-3 fan headers, and you have 4 fans to power, I would look into getting (2) of the 3-pin Y-Splitters. You basically would plug 2 fans into the top of the Y, and the bottom of the Y, into one of your motherboard's 3-pin headers. Then repeat for the other 2 fans.

Also note, you can plug a 3-pin fan or Y-Splitter into the 4-pin header on the motherboard if you wanted to. There is nothing wrong with doing so, it just wouldn't take advantage of the PWM capability.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #865 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmisery View Post
No worries.

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) refers to the method of applying a signal to the fan that will vary the width of the fan's pulse. On a PWM fan, the 4th wire consists of the PWM line and will be directly proportional to the speed of the fan. That is to say, a high duty cycle will produce high speeds and a low duty cycle will produce idle speeds.

So what does this really mean? Rather than running your fan at 100% full speed, the motherboard can automatically control the speed of the fan for you, based on different criteria, typically by temperature ratings. The warmer it gets, the faster the fan goes, the cooler it gets, the slower the fan goes.

Is this something you really need? Well, that's up to you. I personally don't run any PWM fans. Mine are all 3-pin and run 100% full speed. Alternatively, you could look into getting a Fan Controller and you can hook up your fans directly to it, then manually control the speeds of all of your fans. This is pretty common with the overclock enthusiasts.

So, getting back to your question regarding what to buy. Since your motherboard supports 2-3 fan headers, and you have 4 fans to power, I would look into getting (2) of the 3-pin Y-Splitters. You basically would plug 2 fans into the top of the Y, and the bottom of the Y, into one of your motherboard's 3-pin headers. Then repeat for the other 2 fans.

Also note, you can plug a 3-pin fan or Y-Splitter into the 4-pin header on the motherboard if you wanted to. There is nothing wrong with doing so, it just wouldn't take advantage of the PWM capability.
So are you saying that after plugging in the first 3-pin y-splitter into the 3-pin system fan header, then I can plug the second 3-pin y-splitter into the other system fan header (even though it's a 4-pin connector) on the motherboard? Or would I need to use the 3-pin "power" fan header, and if so isn't that supposed to be reserved to power something else like the power led or the psu's fan?
thenext8seconds
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.82 Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H G.Skill Eco Series 4GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Asus VS247H-P 24" LED 1080p Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech Z-2300 speakers Denon AH-D2000 headphones FiiO E17 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
thenext8seconds
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.82 Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H G.Skill Eco Series 4GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Asus VS247H-P 24" LED 1080p Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech Z-2300 speakers Denon AH-D2000 headphones FiiO E17 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #866 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext8seconds View Post
So are you saying that after plugging in the first 3-pin y-splitter into the 3-pin system fan header, then I can plug the second 3-pin y-splitter into the other system fan header (even though it's a 4-pin connector) on the motherboard? Or would I need to use the 3-pin "power" fan header, and if so isn't that supposed to be reserved to power something else like the power led or the psu's fan?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. If you wanted to, you could plug a 3-pin (fan or Y-splitter) into a 4-pin header, you just wont get the PWM ability out of it. In which, you may not even want it to begin with. If you have (2) 3-pin headers and (1) 4-pin header available on your motherboard, you could just plug the Y-Splitters into the (2) 3-pin headers and leave the (1) 4-pin open/available, in the even you want to do PWM later down the road. If not, it really doesn't matter which one you plug into though.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #867 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmisery View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. If you wanted to, you could plug a 3-pin (fan or Y-splitter) into a 4-pin header, you just wont get the PWM ability out of it. In which, you may not even want it to begin with. If you have (2) 3-pin headers and (1) 4-pin header available on your motherboard, you could just plug the Y-Splitters into the (2) 3-pin headers and leave the (1) 4-pin open/available, in the even you want to do PWM later down the road. If not, it really doesn't matter which one you plug into though.
xmisery, you are the man!

i have one more question

so there are two system fan headers on this motherboard. one is a 3-pin header. one is a 4-pin header.

then, there is a power fan header which is 3-pins.

Now which header has the PWM ability? the 4-pin system fan header OR the 3-pin power fan header?

Though I have to say, I don't think it will matter as I don't have much interest in controlling the fan speeds. From what I hear about this case, all the stock fans are pretty quiet.

*EDIT*

well, nevermind i guess. From what i understand after a more thorough look at the manual on gigabyte's website, the 3-pin power fan header and 3-pin system2 fan header are the same thing... The 4-pin system1 header is the one that says it has "speed control" as one of its functions.

So looks like, I will just plug my two y-splitters into each one of the 3-pin headers. They happen to both be on the same side of the motherboard anyway while the 4-pin one is clear on the opposite side.
Edited by thenext8seconds - 6/12/10 at 7:36pm
thenext8seconds
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.82 Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H G.Skill Eco Series 4GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Asus VS247H-P 24" LED 1080p Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech Z-2300 speakers Denon AH-D2000 headphones FiiO E17 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
thenext8seconds
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.82 Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H G.Skill Eco Series 4GB 1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Asus VS247H-P 24" LED 1080p Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 ATX Full Tower 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech Z-2300 speakers Denon AH-D2000 headphones FiiO E17 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #868 of 2022
There is a 4 pin molex (psu) to 3 pin fan header adapter included in the case accessories. You can also use the y cable on that.
Shhh
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 4Ghz Asus P5Q-E Sapphire HD5870 G.Skill 2x2Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 80GB SSD/Seagate 500x2 Raid LiteON IHAS324-08 Win 7 Pro 64bit Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Lancool K58 
  hide details  
Reply
Shhh
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 4Ghz Asus P5Q-E Sapphire HD5870 G.Skill 2x2Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 80GB SSD/Seagate 500x2 Raid LiteON IHAS324-08 Win 7 Pro 64bit Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750 Lancool K58 
  hide details  
Reply
post #869 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext8seconds View Post
xmisery, you are the man!

i have one more question

so there are two system fan headers on this motherboard. one is a 3-pin header. one is a 4-pin header.

then, there is a power fan header which is 3-pins.

Now which header has the PWM ability? the 4-pin system fan header OR the 3-pin power fan header?

Though I have to say, I don't think it will matter as I don't have much interest in controlling the fan speeds. From what I hear about this case, all the stock fans are pretty quiet.

*EDIT*

well, nevermind i guess. From what i understand after a more thorough look at the manual on gigabyte's website, the 3-pin power fan header and 3-pin system2 fan header are the same thing... The 4-pin system1 header is the one that says it has "speed control" as one of its functions.

So looks like, I will just plug my two y-splitters into each one of the 3-pin headers. They happen to both be on the same side of the motherboard anyway while the 4-pin one is clear on the opposite side.
No worries, glad to help out a fellow OCN'er! Enjoy your new case! This baby is sweeeeet!!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #870 of 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by looser101 View Post
There is a 4 pin molex (psu) to 3 pin fan header adapter included in the case accessories. You can also use the y cable on that.
Hey, I see you got rid of your H50 and went with a full custom loop? Inside the K58 no less. Pretty cool. Can you post some pics of your rig when you get a chance? Was it a tight fit? Any custom modding that had to be done?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 w/ HT On [4.2ghz @ 1.28v] Asus P6X58D Premium [0904] [CrossFireX] - XFX HD5770 2GB [1010/1410 @ 1.237v] Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR3 [1600Mhz / 7-8-7-20] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25-M 80GB + Samsung F3 4x2TB [RAID-5] Plextor Blu-Ray [PX-B320SA] Windows 7 Professional [64-Bit] Dell 24" LCD [1080p] 
PowerCase
Corsair HX-Series [850w] Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 [DragonLord] 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Lancool Dragonlord Owners Thread!!