Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › [Guide] Air Cooling Questions Answered Here! (Updated 8/16/10)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Guide] Air Cooling Questions Answered Here! (Updated 8/16/10) - Page 99

post #981 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

"multiple molex connections" means the fans were plugged directly into the PSU, right?

I believe so, I'll double check that. If the cable goes to a HD first and then to the fan, would that cause the fan to not get power? I saw there were two open connections and tried them both, but I didn't pay close attention to what it was directly connected to, just assumed that it would get power since it was ultimately connected to the psu. Like I said, I'm a total newb at this frown.gif.
HTPC
(5 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSPower
AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 245 AM3 MSI 880GM-E41 Win 7 ATX12V Flex 275W Power Supply 
Case
APEX DM-387 Black Steel Micro ATX Media Center... 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(5 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSPower
AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 245 AM3 MSI 880GM-E41 Win 7 ATX12V Flex 275W Power Supply 
Case
APEX DM-387 Black Steel Micro ATX Media Center... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #982 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgando View Post

I believe so, I'll double check that. If the cable goes to a HD first and then to the fan, would that cause the fan to not get power? I saw there were two open connections and tried them both, but I didn't pay close attention to what it was directly connected to, just assumed that it would get power since it was ultimately connected to the psu. Like I said, I'm a total newb at this frown.gif.

No. Molex connectors are actually shorted with each other. Your problem is with your PSU, no doubt.
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #983 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

No. Molex connectors are actually shorted with each other. Your problem is with your PSU, no doubt.

So you think replacing the PSU should fix the problem? It just seems odd to me that everything else seems to be powered just fine, and even when the cpu fan is connected to the proper spot on the MOBO, it doesn't spin... I appreciate everyone's help on this!
HTPC
(5 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSPower
AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 245 AM3 MSI 880GM-E41 Win 7 ATX12V Flex 275W Power Supply 
Case
APEX DM-387 Black Steel Micro ATX Media Center... 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(5 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSPower
AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 245 AM3 MSI 880GM-E41 Win 7 ATX12V Flex 275W Power Supply 
Case
APEX DM-387 Black Steel Micro ATX Media Center... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #984 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgando View Post

So you think replacing the PSU should fix the problem? It just seems odd to me that everything else seems to be powered just fine, and even when the cpu fan is connected to the proper spot on the MOBO, it doesn't spin... I appreciate everyone's help on this!

Well, I can't say for sure but it's worth a try. Is your PSU still under warranty? It's just that your PSU is connected to the mobo, so it's natural that if your fan has problems when it is directly connected to the PSU then it would also have problems when connected directly to the mobo.

Do you have a voltmeter at hand? You could try measuring the 12V rail and see if the voltage is not fluctuating. Also, you can try removing the PSU from the computer, powering it with the metal short test while the fan is directly connected to one molex connector.

And please fill up your system specs sig so that we can help you better.
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 2x8GB G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) @ 2... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB CPU: Swiftech H220-X Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 MX Brown and Red LED Seasonic P-760 SS-760XP2 Cooler Master HAF 922 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Savu Steelseries QCK Mass Edifier HCS2330 2.1 Speaker System (using Onboa... HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset 
Other
APC BR1500GI UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #985 of 1086
Hey guys, quick question: Scythe Ninja 3 or Thermalright Macho at the same price?
All I want is for the cpu cooler to stay DEAD SILENT when idle. Both of them can work without a fan.
post #986 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by syryanyang View Post

Hey guys, quick question: Scythe Ninja 3 or Thermalright Macho at the same price?
All I want is for the cpu cooler to stay DEAD SILENT when idle. Both of them can work without a fan.

Macho
Wanted: [WTB] GPU upgrade
$210 (USD) or best offer
  
Reply
Wanted: [WTB] GPU upgrade
$210 (USD) or best offer
  
Reply
post #987 of 1086
HR-02 is slightly better than Ninja but very close in all respects.
http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/scythe-thermalright-noiseless.shtml
post #988 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

HR-02 is slightly better than Ninja but very close in all respects.
http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/scythe-thermalright-noiseless.shtml

How do I read this in English?
post #989 of 1086
I zip-tied the stock cpu fan to the back cpu bracket. Really did drop my socket temps 8-10 C. I read that in this guide and didn't believe it so I tried it... Great tip!
post #990 of 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by syryanyang View Post

How do I read this in English?
you can use Google webpage translate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › [Guide] Air Cooling Questions Answered Here! (Updated 8/16/10)