Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI HD58xx Owners Club **OFFICIAL**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATI HD58xx Owners Club **OFFICIAL** - Page 353

post #3521 of 3765
Which driver you guys use in yours HD 5870 ?
I'm using 10.7.

Also, add me to the club. I have a HD5870 HIS.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690K B85M-E R9 280X 8GB OCZ Gold 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 1TB WD caviar black Windows 7 LG W2353V 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 550VX NZXT Phantom Razer Tron Gaming Mouse Razer Goliathus Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690K B85M-E R9 280X 8GB OCZ Gold 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 1TB WD caviar black Windows 7 LG W2353V 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 550VX NZXT Phantom Razer Tron Gaming Mouse Razer Goliathus Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3522 of 3765
Does anyone know the physical length of this card?
Foinally!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
core i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 MSI GTX 680 Corsair XMS3 2x2gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128gb WD6401AALS Win7 64bit Dell U2713HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch tenkeyless cherry browns Corsair AX650w Antec p183 CMStorm spawn 
Audio
Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
Foinally!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
core i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 MSI GTX 680 Corsair XMS3 2x2gb 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128gb WD6401AALS Win7 64bit Dell U2713HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch tenkeyless cherry browns Corsair AX650w Antec p183 CMStorm spawn 
Audio
Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3523 of 3765
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyr View Post
Which driver you guys use in yours HD 5870 ?
I'm using 10.7.

Also, add me to the club. I have a HD5870 HIS.
10.12 is great
Sexy Sandy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H Gigabyte hd 7850 Corsair Vengence 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
c300 SSD rando Corsair H50 Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2209W 22" TTe Sports Challenger Pro Corsair AX850 CM HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Death Adder desk samsung makes a good soundbar 
  hide details  
Reply
Sexy Sandy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H Gigabyte hd 7850 Corsair Vengence 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
c300 SSD rando Corsair H50 Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2209W 22" TTe Sports Challenger Pro Corsair AX850 CM HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Death Adder desk samsung makes a good soundbar 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3524 of 3765
I am not sure which thread this should be posted in but this seems like the right one. Here's my situation. For about a year now I have been using my laptop hooked up to my 52" Samsung LCD through VGA to surf the net, watch HD movies, etc... along with using the analog RCA headphone out to my receiver for sound. I have no complaints at all because the picture is excellent (super crisp and clean) and my receiver can matrix 2 channel audio to 5.1 so the sound is quite good.

However, now I think it's time to step it up a little and use the full capabilities of my desktop video cards. First off, I have 2 x XFX 5870's running in crossfire mode. They have been excellent thus far for games and such but now since I have an extensive HD collection I want to utilize them to play HD audio and video on my television and just take more advantage of their power overall.

I have a DVI cable running to my 22" LCD desktop display and a HDMI cable running to my 52" television. Actually the HDMI goes to my receiver then the television but the results are the same either way. It took me for freaking ever to get the resolution right on each display and to stay that way too I might add. Somehow I still don't think it's entirely right but I digress.

My issue is that the picture quality of the HDMI from my desktop to my television is very much inferior to the clarity of my laptop through VGA. I mean, during movie watching the picture looks great. Nice and sharp, very smooth. But when I am on just the desktop or surfing the net it or whatever it looks kinda of bad. I think the VGA looks far superior and almost like my desktop 22" LCD monitor.

Is this normal for HDMI to a television from a 5870 or other HDMI video cards in general? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Jim
Edited by buffalofloyd - 2/1/11 at 11:41pm
post #3525 of 3765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyr View Post
Which driver you guys use in yours HD 5870 ?
I'm using 10.7.

Also, add me to the club. I have a HD5870 HIS.
10.10e for me. Every release since 10.12 causes me to get the random 99% GPU Utilization at idle bug many people are having. Cheers
Yukirin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 PRO EVGA GTX 780 ACX 8GB RipJaw 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung SpinpoinF3 1TB Samsung EVO 120GB SSD Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS VG248QE 144hz 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms Acer X233H KBT Pure 60% Corsair 750TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Heavy Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Yukirin
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K ASUS P8P67 PRO EVGA GTX 780 ACX 8GB RipJaw 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
1TB Samsung SpinpoinF3 1TB Samsung EVO 120GB SSD Windows 8.1 Pro ASUS VG248QE 144hz 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms Acer X233H KBT Pure 60% Corsair 750TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Heavy Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3526 of 3765


One is HIS Turbo Edition the other is Sapphire Toxic 2GB Edition.

I've been using the Sapphire for few months now, absolutely LOVE it. Much much better than my old Sapphire 4870 512MB. The coolness, smoothness and quietness were too fabulous I just had to buy another one and try Crossfire. So I got the HIS Turbo, wanted to compare performance so I tried the HIS by itself. Uninstall CCC, restart with new card in, reinstall CCC, restart, good to go.

Ran PCMark tests but scores are not relevant in this post. Anyway, The HIS OC setting is capped at 775 for core and 1150 for memory in both MSI Afterburn and ATI Overdrive while Sapphire is 1000 and 1300 respectively. I was really surprised and disappointed, but to be fair at stock clock the HIS performs better in Divinity 2. My first question is how do I break that mediocre OC limit? BIOS? Firmware?

Move on to Crossfire. I've tried reinstalling driver, swapping slots, these problems still persist.
First, I can not get the Sapphire to be master.
Second, the Sapphire yields display corruption when running by itself, such as flashing pixels, color corruption, green pixels in windows and games. This was not the case when I was using it by itself before.
Third, unstable performance in games, most commonly frame lag or stuck frames.
What to do? Lol. My guess is driver is stuck with the HIS since it was used last, but what about the decrease in performance? Downloading new PCMarks, gonna test for official result later.

Right now I have the HIS on top because for unsure reason the Sapphire gets really hot sitting on top. LOL. Could be insufficient cooling since its heatsink is thicker and the HIS yields more heat. At idle, HIS top 51C Sapphire bottom 30C, before I didn't need to monitor to feel the immense heat from the Sapphire on top.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
post #3527 of 3765
By the way,
Mobo: Biostar TA890FXE
CPU: Phenom II x4 965 @ 4Ghz
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz @ 7-7-7-20-1T
PSU: CM SilentPro M 850W
Rest are irrelevant right?
post #3528 of 3765
i have a WCed sapphire 5870... wouldn't mind being added! ill update this post with pics later AND what about sapphire trixx? im using that to OC my 5870 right now
intel-a-thon
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k Gigabyte x99-UD4- CF Powercolor R9 290 4x4GB G. Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 730 Series NZXT Kraken X61 Windows 10 Acer K272HULbmiidp 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x asus 21.5" Varmilo VA87MD Corsair RM850 Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse Pad
Func MS-1 Roccat Taito 
  hide details  
Reply
intel-a-thon
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820k Gigabyte x99-UD4- CF Powercolor R9 290 4x4GB G. Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 730 Series NZXT Kraken X61 Windows 10 Acer K272HULbmiidp 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x asus 21.5" Varmilo VA87MD Corsair RM850 Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse Pad
Func MS-1 Roccat Taito 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3529 of 3765
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
I am not sure which thread this should be posted in but this seems like the right one. Here's my situation. For about a year now I have been using my laptop hooked up to my 52" Samsung LCD through VGA to surf the net, watch HD movies, etc... along with using the analog RCA headphone out to my receiver for sound. I have no complaints at all because the picture is excellent (super crisp and clean) and my receiver can matrix 2 channel audio to 5.1 so the sound is quite good.

However, now I think it's time to step it up a little and use the full capabilities of my desktop video cards. First off, I have 2 x XFX 5870's running in crossfire mode. They have been excellent thus far for games and such but now since I have an extensive HD collection I want to utilize them to play HD audio and video on my television and just take more advantage of their power overall.

I have a DVI cable running to my 22" LCD desktop display and a HDMI cable running to my 52" television. Actually the HDMI goes to my receiver then the television but the results are the same either way. It took me for freaking ever to get the resolution right on each display and to stay that way too I might add. Somehow I still don't think it's entirely right but I digress.

My issue is that the picture quality of the HDMI from my desktop to my television is very much inferior to the clarity of my laptop through VGA. I mean, during movie watching the picture looks great. Nice and sharp, very smooth. But when I am on just the desktop or surfing the net it or whatever it looks kinda of bad. I think the VGA looks far superior and almost like my desktop 22" LCD monitor.

Is this normal for HDMI to a television from a 5870 or other HDMI video cards in general? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Jim
Hey Jim, to tell you the truth, my boyfriend and I weren't particularly blown away when we went from a DVI cable to an HDMI with the 5850 going into our little 32" Sony EX400. Not easy to tell but I think the picture quality took a slight step backwards tbh. Colours didn't look so good and the picture wasn't quite as crisp. So you're definitely not the only one un-impressed with that!
Viper
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Sapphire 5850 1GB A-Data 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ Gaming Series 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
32GB A-Data S596 SSD, 1TB Samsung F3, 1TB WD Blue EK Supreme HF Nickel + Acetal CPU Block EK Supreme HF Nickel + Copper GPU block Win 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic VX2433WM 24" Logitech OEM bundled keyboard Silverstone Strider 600W Modded CM 690 2 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Steelseries Medium Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music 
  hide details  
Reply
Viper
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Sapphire 5850 1GB A-Data 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ Gaming Series 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
32GB A-Data S596 SSD, 1TB Samsung F3, 1TB WD Blue EK Supreme HF Nickel + Acetal CPU Block EK Supreme HF Nickel + Copper GPU block Win 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic VX2433WM 24" Logitech OEM bundled keyboard Silverstone Strider 600W Modded CM 690 2 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Steelseries Medium Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3530 of 3765
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderm0nkey View Post
Hey Jim, to tell you the truth, my boyfriend and I weren't particularly blown away when we went from a DVI cable to an HDMI with the 5850 going into our little 32" Sony EX400. Not easy to tell but I think the picture quality took a slight step backwards tbh. Colours didn't look so good and the picture wasn't quite as crisp. So you're definitely not the only one un-impressed with that!
that shouldnt happen since hdmi is just dvi with sound added. Unless you got crappy hdmi cables it shouldnt have changed visual quality one bit
Sexy Sandy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H Gigabyte hd 7850 Corsair Vengence 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
c300 SSD rando Corsair H50 Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2209W 22" TTe Sports Challenger Pro Corsair AX850 CM HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Death Adder desk samsung makes a good soundbar 
  hide details  
Reply
Sexy Sandy
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H Gigabyte hd 7850 Corsair Vengence 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
c300 SSD rando Corsair H50 Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2209W 22" TTe Sports Challenger Pro Corsair AX850 CM HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Death Adder desk samsung makes a good soundbar 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI HD58xx Owners Club **OFFICIAL**