Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › X800XL failure after new heatsink
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

X800XL failure after new heatsink

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I bought a Thermaltake VGA waterblock yesterday to hook up my Gecube X800XL card to my Rocket. Removed the retail fan+heatpipe and connected the waterblock to the card as instructed in the manual. No leakage! I put the card back in the PCIe slot and now it's dead. The machine starts up but there's no screen.
I have VNC hooked up on that same machine and when I connect the screen is black 640X480 apart from the default windows arrow..

Did I just destroy my almost new X800 card?
post #2 of 10
Um, any ramsinks on that?
post #3 of 10
did you set off any emc while setting it up? it happens quite often during cold days.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD sempron :'( 2600+ K8V-X ( i was low on $) Windows Xp Spetrum (17") crazy thick 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM 400W generic Stealth Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD sempron :'( 2600+ K8V-X ( i was low on $) Windows Xp Spetrum (17") crazy thick 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM 400W generic Stealth Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
No ramsink, however it was only running for an minute or two.

EMC (=Electro Magnetic Current?)
I was carefull to hold the card by its rims and I touched a radiator probably ten times in the process of changeing heatsinks..
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudman
No ramsink, however it was only running for an minute or two.

EMC (=Electro Magnetic Current?)
I was carefull to hold the card by its rims and I touched a radiator probably ten times in the process of changeing heatsinks..
so your saying that your card ran for a while before it died?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD sempron :'( 2600+ K8V-X ( i was low on $) Windows Xp Spetrum (17") crazy thick 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM 400W generic Stealth Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD sempron :'( 2600+ K8V-X ( i was low on $) Windows Xp Spetrum (17") crazy thick 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM 400W generic Stealth Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboy888
so your saying that your card ran for a while before it died?
Not really. I put it back in the slot, plugged in the VGA cable and started the computer. The screen is black.
The card gets warm after it's been running for a while so I guess there's still some hope.
Ever heard of anything like this happening?
Been handleing ProTools Audiocards the same way for years and nothing's ever gone wrong before..
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
oh..
I ran it black for a minute before accepting the fact that the screen was black..
post #8 of 10
Didn't make a simple mistake of no power cord?

knock off any resistors?
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudman
Not really. I put it back in the slot, plugged in the VGA cable and started the computer. The screen is black.
The card gets warm after it's been running for a while so I guess there's still some hope.
Ever heard of anything like this happening?
Been handleing ProTools Audiocards the same way for years and nothing's ever gone wrong before..
Have you tried removing the Waterblock and putting the old Heatsink Back on? Maybe the waterblock isn't seated correctly.
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Have you tried removing the Waterblock and putting the old Heatsink Back on? Maybe the waterblock isn't seated correctly.
It reacts to the heatsink that fast even though still in bios mode?
I haven't tried putting the old one back but i've taken the new one apart three times to check if anything's wrong. No sign of any overheating or any other optically evident malfunction.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › X800XL failure after new heatsink