Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Which offers better performance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which offers better performance?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Is a higher mutliplier and lower fsb speed better or is a lower multiplier and higher fsb better? Also, how does HTT play into this and where should it be set? I also have an option for HTT that offers me something where I can choose 16/16, 16/8, 8/16, 8/8 but I don't know whatthey do since there is nothing in my manual about. It came with the newest bios update. Any help would be appreciated!!
The Beast
(13 items)
 
Kids PC!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR EVGA 8600GTS 256MB 4 GB G.Skill F1-3200phu2-2gbns 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Thermaltake Blue Orb II Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 
PowerCase
Antec EA380D Zalman Z5 Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(13 items)
 
Kids PC!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR EVGA 8600GTS 256MB 4 GB G.Skill F1-3200phu2-2gbns 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Thermaltake Blue Orb II Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 
PowerCase
Antec EA380D Zalman Z5 Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
lower multis and higher fsb offer better ram bandwidth, but you better have ram that'll take it other wise you'll murder ram timings, if you can get it to post at all.
YOu can also raise fsb speed and set a ram/cpu divider ratio to set your ram speed closer to its original spec while still maintaining the high fsb bus speeds.

the option you speak of is htt width otherwise known as the width of the hyper transport bus to the chipset and other things, keeping it set at 16/16 is a good idea.

when you overclock, there is also a a htt link/fsb ratio. you want to set it to maitain speeds of close to 1000 if possible ie

5 x 200fsb
4 x250fsb
3 x 333fsb
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Toledo - CCBWE 0530 XPMW DFI NF4 SLi-DR eXpert xp pro 19" Acer AL1914 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G15 SilverStone St65zf ThermalTake VA9000swa logitech mx-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Toledo - CCBWE 0530 XPMW DFI NF4 SLi-DR eXpert xp pro 19" Acer AL1914 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G15 SilverStone St65zf ThermalTake VA9000swa logitech mx-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdispenser
lower multis and higher fsb offer better ram bandwidth, but you better have ram that'll take it other wise you'll murder ram timings, if you can get it to post at all.
YOu can also raise fsb speed and set a ram/cpu divider ratio to set your ram speed closer to its original spec while still maintaining the high fsb bus speeds.

the option you speak of is htt width otherwise known as the width of the hyper transport bus to the chipset and other things, keeping it set at 16/16 is a good idea.

when you overclock, there is also a a htt link/fsb ratio. you want to set it to maitain speeds of close to 1000 if possible ie

5 x 200fsb
4 x250fsb
3 x 333fsb
Thank you, this helps. I have asked this before but still not sure what to look for as far as setting a divider. The only thing I have seen in my bios that might be what you are talking about is I can choose the speed of the memory from 100Mhz, 133Mhz, 166Mhz, and 200Mhz. Is this what I use as the divider?
The Beast
(13 items)
 
Kids PC!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR EVGA 8600GTS 256MB 4 GB G.Skill F1-3200phu2-2gbns 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Thermaltake Blue Orb II Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 
PowerCase
Antec EA380D Zalman Z5 Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(13 items)
 
Kids PC!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR EVGA 8600GTS 256MB 4 GB G.Skill F1-3200phu2-2gbns 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Thermaltake Blue Orb II Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 
PowerCase
Antec EA380D Zalman Z5 Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
yes thats the mem divider say all you have is std ddr400 and you want to run 240fsb

your setting would be something like 240fsb, 4x htt/fsb, and you would pick the 166 option, it would give you the final tally of this:

240 x cpu multiplier
240 x 4 = 960 htt link (1000 is ideal, err under but going over by a FEW won't hurt either, for stability's sake)
240 x 4/5 (166/200)= 200 = ddr400
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Toledo - CCBWE 0530 XPMW DFI NF4 SLi-DR eXpert xp pro 19" Acer AL1914 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G15 SilverStone St65zf ThermalTake VA9000swa logitech mx-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Toledo - CCBWE 0530 XPMW DFI NF4 SLi-DR eXpert xp pro 19" Acer AL1914 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G15 SilverStone St65zf ThermalTake VA9000swa logitech mx-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Yes, RAM dividers will help if you have cheap RAM, which it looks like you don't have . Corsair 3200C2 is some pretty good stuff. Look at the sticker on the chip and see what revision your RAM is. This will tell you what kind of chips your RAM uses.

XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.0 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond CH-5
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.1/2.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond BH-6
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.2/2.2 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond CH-6
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.3 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Winbond UTT ?
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.4 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Mosel Vitelic 5ns ~ Brainpower PCB
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.5 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Winbond New BH-5 ~ Brainpower PCB
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.6 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Winbond UTT ~ Brainpower PCB
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.7 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Winbond New BH-5\\UTT ~ Brainpower PCB ?
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev3.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Infineon B-5
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev4.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev4.2 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD & TCC5
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev4.3 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD & TCC5 (Rev. F) ~ Brainpower PCB
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev5.1/6.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Mosel Vitelic 5ns

Basically, you want any of the Winbond chips or Samsung TCCD/TCC5 (Brainpower PCB also helps, but not by much). Mosel Vitelic is crap and I have no experience with Infineon.

Winbond CH-5/CH-6/BH-5/BH-6/UTT ---> these love a lot of voltage (typically around 3.3 - 3.5 volts) and can do DDR520 (260MHz) and beyond with tight timings of 2-2-2-5 (I think the record is around DDR580 at timings of 2-2-2-5, but that was with a whopping 3.8 volts and some massive cooling). These chips have become scarce, but there are still some of them left.

Samsung TCCD/TCC5 ---> a lot of bandwidth can be squeezed out of these (typically more than DDR600 or 300MHz) on low volts (nothing over 3.0 volts or you'll FRY these), but with looser timings than Winbond chips. You'll need CL2.5 for anything over DDR440 (220MHz), but CL2.5 is enough to get you over DDR600 (300MHz). Samsung recently stopped binning chips for TCCD, but they kept manufacturing the same stuff. TCC5, which is binned at lower standards than TCCD, now encompasses what TCCD used to be and what it already is, so basically you might be getting chips binned at TCC5 that can really perform more like TCCD, but real TCC5 doesn't perform much worse than TCCD, so you're basically in the same boat with either.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashovride02
Is a higher mutliplier and lower fsb speed better or is a lower multiplier and higher fsb better? Also, how does HTT play into this and where should it be set? I also have an option for HTT that offers me something where I can choose 16/16, 16/8, 8/16, 8/8 but I don't know whatthey do since there is nothing in my manual about. It came with the newest bios update. Any help would be appreciated!!
Hmm, where to start...

With Athlon64s, you'll want to use whatever combination that allows you to run with the highest CPU clock speed. Also, this is starting to sound like a broken record but the Athlon64 does not use a FSB, it connects to the rest of the system via a HTT bus. It has already been determined many times that HTT does not like overclocking, that's why most overclockers try to keep HTT at stock speeds.

The rule of higher FSB = better performance does not apply with Athlon64's and the only benefit from running with a fast motherboard clock speed is that it'll allow you to clock your memory higher.

The 16/16, etc refer to HTT bus width, you'll want to keep that at stock. Using an 8 setting effectively cuts the bandwidth up or downstream by half which will definitely affect system performance.

Also, lower clocked memory with low latencies beat out high speed/high latency memory (aside from Sandra) in pretty much everything.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosniper0
Yes, RAM dividers will help if you have cheap RAM, which it looks like you don't have . Corsair 3200C2 is some pretty good stuff. Look at the sticker on the chip and see what revision your RAM is. This will tell you what kind of chips your RAM uses.

XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.0 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond CH-5
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.1/2.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond BH-6
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.2/2.2 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond CH-6
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.3 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Winbond UTT ?
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.4 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Mosel Vitelic 5ns ~ Brainpower PCB
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.5 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Winbond New BH-5 ~ Brainpower PCB
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.6 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Winbond UTT ~ Brainpower PCB
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.7 (2-2-2-5-1T) --chip--> Winbond New BH-5\\UTT ~ Brainpower PCB ?
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev3.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Infineon B-5
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev4.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev4.2 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD & TCC5
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev4.3 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Samsung TCCD & TCC5 (Rev. F) ~ Brainpower PCB
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev5.1/6.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Mosel Vitelic 5ns

Basically, you want any of the Winbond chips or Samsung TCCD/TCC5 (Brainpower PCB also helps, but not by much). Mosel Vitelic is crap and I have no experience with Infineon.

Winbond CH-5/CH-6/BH-5/BH-6/UTT ---> these love a lot of voltage (typically around 3.3 - 3.5 volts) and can do DDR520 (260MHz) and beyond with tight timings of 2-2-2-5 (I think the record is around DDR580 at timings of 2-2-2-5, but that was with a whopping 3.8 volts and some massive cooling). These chips have become scarce, but there are still some of them left.

Samsung TCCD/TCC5 ---> a lot of bandwidth can be squeezed out of these (typically more than DDR600 or 300MHz) on low volts (nothing over 3.0 volts or you'll FRY these), but with looser timings than Winbond chips. You'll need CL2.5 for anything over DDR440 (220MHz), but CL2.5 is enough to get you over DDR600 (300MHz). Samsung recently stopped binning chips for TCCD, but they kept manufacturing the same stuff. TCC5, which is binned at lower standards than TCCD, now encompasses what TCCD used to be and what it already is, so basically you might be getting chips binned at TCC5 that can really perform more like TCCD, but real TCC5 doesn't perform much worse than TCCD, so you're basically in the same boat with either.
They are v1.2 and by what you said that would be a good thing. I have played a little with OC'ing but it doesn't want to go much beyond 210Mhz before it won't boot. timings are 2t, 2-3-3-6. I'm not sure why. Should I try raising the vdimm?
The Beast
(13 items)
 
Kids PC!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR EVGA 8600GTS 256MB 4 GB G.Skill F1-3200phu2-2gbns 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Thermaltake Blue Orb II Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 
PowerCase
Antec EA380D Zalman Z5 Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(13 items)
 
Kids PC!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR EVGA 8600GTS 256MB 4 GB G.Skill F1-3200phu2-2gbns 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Thermaltake Blue Orb II Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 
PowerCase
Antec EA380D Zalman Z5 Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
what is the vdimm now?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Toledo - CCBWE 0530 XPMW DFI NF4 SLi-DR eXpert xp pro 19" Acer AL1914 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G15 SilverStone St65zf ThermalTake VA9000swa logitech mx-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Toledo - CCBWE 0530 XPMW DFI NF4 SLi-DR eXpert xp pro 19" Acer AL1914 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G15 SilverStone St65zf ThermalTake VA9000swa logitech mx-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdispenser
what is the vdimm now?
Right now it's at 2.7v. Is that too low?
The Beast
(13 items)
 
Kids PC!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR EVGA 8600GTS 256MB 4 GB G.Skill F1-3200phu2-2gbns 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Thermaltake Blue Orb II Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 
PowerCase
Antec EA380D Zalman Z5 Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(13 items)
 
Kids PC!
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 @ 2.25Ghz DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR EVGA 8600GTS 256MB 4 GB G.Skill F1-3200phu2-2gbns 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Thermaltake Blue Orb II Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 
PowerCase
Antec EA380D Zalman Z5 Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
those sticks like 2.75 to run at stock. you can boost it to 2.85 and not worry about warranty. I had mind to 245 without any problems. I just put the timings at 2.5-3-3-8 I think.... but make the timings looser, see how far they will go then you can try to tighten them up once you get to the speed you want.
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Which offers better performance?