Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › adding a resevoir increase performance ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

adding a resevoir increase performance ? - Page 3

post #21 of 30
a bigger reservoir will do nothing but cause equilibrium in a slower manner beacause there is a larger body of cool water to heat up, but once it all reaches equilibrium, there will be absolutely no performance gain by having a larger reservoir

it may be different for cars, but i know that thats how it works for PC water cooling systems
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Intel Xeon 5420 2.5 GHz @ 3.00 GHz (400x7.5) Intel D5400XS Skulltrail MSI Radeon HD4870 1GB 8GB (4x2GB) A-Data DDR2-800 FB-DIMM ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD VelociRaptor 150GB+2x WD Caviar Black 500GB 2x Black Samsung DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 3x Samsung SycnMaster 940BF 19" 2ms LCD's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II Corsair Professional Series AX850 Lian Li PC-75B Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
19x13" Office Depot Desk Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Intel Xeon 5420 2.5 GHz @ 3.00 GHz (400x7.5) Intel D5400XS Skulltrail MSI Radeon HD4870 1GB 8GB (4x2GB) A-Data DDR2-800 FB-DIMM ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD VelociRaptor 150GB+2x WD Caviar Black 500GB 2x Black Samsung DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 3x Samsung SycnMaster 940BF 19" 2ms LCD's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II Corsair Professional Series AX850 Lian Li PC-75B Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
19x13" Office Depot Desk Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 30
I am with the guy above me .....
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T @ 3808 ( 272x14) MSI 890CXM-G65 HD5770 8 gigs Crucial 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD 64g XP Pro Viewsonic 19 inch Lcd Memorex 
PowerMouse
ThermalTake 850 Modular Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T @ 3808 ( 272x14) MSI 890CXM-G65 HD5770 8 gigs Crucial 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD 64g XP Pro Viewsonic 19 inch Lcd Memorex 
PowerMouse
ThermalTake 850 Modular Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 30
Seems like you just want to argue, I will admit that the reservior temps may rise slightly over time but as long as the radiator is large enough to be efficent it will keep the temps down enough so they will only reach a certain point. Here is something else I guess I should admit, My reservoir actually does provide some pre cooling, if you look you will see that my outlet is at the very top creating a lot of surface turbulance and I leave the cap loose and the intake is at the bottom. I guess if I were thinking about something like a bay reservoir which holds very little and is closed your theory would apply. So I guess it would be more correct to say that it is possible to make the reservoir a beneficial part of the system if it is built something like mine
You win, I win OK
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400@4.0 DFI Blood Iron EVGA 9600GT 8 Gigs Gskill pc6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Maxtor Diamond Max Windows7 Pro Acer AL2016W yes 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 500w SXS Ultra Aluminus yes yes 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400@4.0 DFI Blood Iron EVGA 9600GT 8 Gigs Gskill pc6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Maxtor Diamond Max Windows7 Pro Acer AL2016W yes 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 500w SXS Ultra Aluminus yes yes 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstfrddy
Seems like you just want to argue, I will admit that the reservior temps may rise slightly over time but as long as the radiator is large enough to be efficent it will keep the temps down enough so they will only reach a certain point. Here is something else I guess I should admit, My reservoir actually does provide some pre cooling, if you look you will see that my outlet is at the very top creating a lot of surface turbulance and I leave the cap loose and the intake is at the bottom. I guess if I were thinking about something like a bay reservoir which holds very little and is closed your theory would apply. So I guess it would be more correct to say that it is possible to make the reservoir a beneficial part of the system if it is built something like mine
You win, I win OK
I dont want to argue at all,,But I do want to provide completly 100% accurate information..I dont want to win eather..I just want to provide precise information..

A Reservoir does nothing to provide cooling in a loop..It behaves Exactly like tubing..Not a Radiator..Even if the water experences turbulance you are not cooling it in any way you could measure or in any way that would provide a system performance increase as it passes through it.

Just like saying the rad needs to be before the CPU block to cool better . Not correct , the order of the parts mattes not..What matters is tube bends and length,,The less you have the better . .
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T @ 3808 ( 272x14) MSI 890CXM-G65 HD5770 8 gigs Crucial 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD 64g XP Pro Viewsonic 19 inch Lcd Memorex 
PowerMouse
ThermalTake 850 Modular Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T @ 3808 ( 272x14) MSI 890CXM-G65 HD5770 8 gigs Crucial 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD 64g XP Pro Viewsonic 19 inch Lcd Memorex 
PowerMouse
ThermalTake 850 Modular Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehrd
A Reservoir does nothing to provide cooling in a loop..It behaves Exactly like tubing..Not a Radiator..Even if the water experences turbulance you are not cooling it in any way you could measure or in any way that would provide a system performance increase as it passes through it.
I just love how you completly ignore the Laws of Thermal Dynamics.
Heat always moves from areas of high temperature to areas of low temperature. That means that whenever the water is not absorbing heat it is disapating it into the air. In a computer WC system the water absorbs heat from the waterblock and pump, everywhere else that heat is being transfered to the air. The more time it spends outside the waterblock and pump, the cooler it's gonna get. Now the radiator is designed to transfer a lot of heat quickly, but other parts of the system, like the tubing and reservoir, transfer heat too, just less effeciently.
With a WC system you are limited by the temperature of the air, the water can't become colder than the surrounding air. IF you have a very good radiator that can cool the water close to room temperature, then adding a reservoir will make little difference. If your radiater isn't that good than a reservoir will help keep the temps down. If you had a big enough resevoir you could forgo the radiator altogether.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Pentium 4 640 @ 4.0GHz Asus P5GDC-Deluxe Pirated Win XP Pro Samsung 17" SyncMaster 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech Comfort Duo Aspire Xnavigator silver Logitech Comfort Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Pentium 4 640 @ 4.0GHz Asus P5GDC-Deluxe Pirated Win XP Pro Samsung 17" SyncMaster 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech Comfort Duo Aspire Xnavigator silver Logitech Comfort Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabryl
I just love how you completly ignore the Laws of Thermal Dynamics.
Heat always moves from areas of high temperature to areas of low temperature. That means that whenever the water is not absorbing heat it is disapating it into the air. In a computer WC system the water absorbs heat from the waterblock and pump, everywhere else that heat is being transfered to the air. The more time it spends outside the waterblock and pump, the cooler it's gonna get. Now the radiator is designed to transfer a lot of heat quickly, but other parts of the system, like the tubing and reservoir, transfer heat too, just less effeciently.
With a WC system you are limited by the temperature of the air, the water can't become colder than the surrounding air. IF you have a very good radiator that can cool the water close to room temperature, then adding a reservoir will make little difference. If your radiater isn't that good than a reservoir will help keep the temps down. If you had a big enough resevoir you could forgo the radiator altogether.
Look a resivor DOES not aid in cooling down the water eather does the tubing The tubing is more an insulator then a conductor of heat as is the resivor which are almost always plastic based.

And of course a MASSIVE resivour can remove the need for a rad but it is not something any PC cooling system will soon see LOL...

Lets take the argument to the complete end of extream and just hook the system up to a tap in the house that you let run 24/7..Now ya dont need a pump,rad or res....ha ha ha ha ha ....

Keep on topic to the most common and basic water cooling loop one can go buy as a kit or in pieces to assemble..In this out fitting which is about 95% of all water cooling a RES does not aide in cooling the water to any measurable degree worth even mentioning..

Like I said to the last guy do some controlled testing with the res in his picture and measure temps with it before and after rad..Then post the results here,.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T @ 3808 ( 272x14) MSI 890CXM-G65 HD5770 8 gigs Crucial 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD 64g XP Pro Viewsonic 19 inch Lcd Memorex 
PowerMouse
ThermalTake 850 Modular Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T @ 3808 ( 272x14) MSI 890CXM-G65 HD5770 8 gigs Crucial 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD 64g XP Pro Viewsonic 19 inch Lcd Memorex 
PowerMouse
ThermalTake 850 Modular Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehrd
Look a resivor DOES not aid in cooling down the water eather does the tubing The tubing is more an insulator then a conductor of heat as is the resivor which are almost always plastic based.

And of course a MASSIVE resivour can remove the need for a rad but it is not something any PC cooling system will soon see LOL...

Lets take the argument to the complete end of extream and just hook the system up to a tap in the house that you let run 24/7..Now ya dont need a pump,rad or res....ha ha ha ha ha ....

Keep on topic to the most common and basic water cooling loop one can go buy as a kit or in pieces to assemble..In this out fitting which is about 95% of all water cooling a RES does not aide in cooling the water to any measurable degree worth even mentioning..

Like I said to the last guy do some controlled testing with the res in his picture and measure temps with it before and after rad..Then post the results here,.
I am sorry, I am unable to continue this discussion. Unlike you, I cannot rise above logic and reason. My brain just won't let me do it.
I congrajulate you for the courage you display in going where sane men fear to tread. All for the sake of prooving that small transparent boxes of toxic water are incapable of radiating heat.

Good Night.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Pentium 4 640 @ 4.0GHz Asus P5GDC-Deluxe Pirated Win XP Pro Samsung 17" SyncMaster 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech Comfort Duo Aspire Xnavigator silver Logitech Comfort Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Pentium 4 640 @ 4.0GHz Asus P5GDC-Deluxe Pirated Win XP Pro Samsung 17" SyncMaster 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech Comfort Duo Aspire Xnavigator silver Logitech Comfort Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabryl
I am sorry, I am unable to continue this discussion. Unlike you, I cannot rise above logic and reason. My brain just won't let me do it.
I congrajulate you for the courage you display in going where sane men fear to tread. All for the sake of prooving that small transparent boxes of toxic water are incapable of radiating heat.

Good Night.

It is a shame you just dont do the testing to prove having a res in front of the rad cools the water off,,rather you just would rather pretend to have the answer and come across as above common sense..Good night..
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T @ 3808 ( 272x14) MSI 890CXM-G65 HD5770 8 gigs Crucial 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD 64g XP Pro Viewsonic 19 inch Lcd Memorex 
PowerMouse
ThermalTake 850 Modular Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T @ 3808 ( 272x14) MSI 890CXM-G65 HD5770 8 gigs Crucial 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Kingston SSD 64g XP Pro Viewsonic 19 inch Lcd Memorex 
PowerMouse
ThermalTake 850 Modular Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 30
all i can say is that ive got 2 reservoirs and both were mounted inside the case where it is typically a lot warmer than outside the case so i moved them out of the case and my temp dropped a tad over time, i spose when youve got ya res inside it will slowly heat up the liquid if the rad cannot expel the extra heat.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 3800 ALBATRON KM51PV M-ATX Gainward 7900GT 512MB Team Group PC4K 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
4 x 250GB That is me. 19" LCD WOLF CLAW V2 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone Grunt Aspire X-QPACK The trigger machanism 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 3800 ALBATRON KM51PV M-ATX Gainward 7900GT 512MB Team Group PC4K 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
4 x 250GB That is me. 19" LCD WOLF CLAW V2 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone Grunt Aspire X-QPACK The trigger machanism 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 30
Thread Starter 
ok CLOSE THIS SESSION PLEASE THANKS
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD64 4000+ San Diego Asus A8N-SLI Windows XP Pro pirated Dell 24" Widescreen LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless MX Ultra X-Finty 600W SLi TTArmor Series Logitech Lazer MX 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD64 4000+ San Diego Asus A8N-SLI Windows XP Pro pirated Dell 24" Widescreen LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless MX Ultra X-Finty 600W SLi TTArmor Series Logitech Lazer MX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › adding a resevoir increase performance ?