Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery - Page 3900  

post #38991 of 107307
SigRig, new case and extra radiator.

I'm not one for looks of a case but if you think this looks bad you should see how it looked in the old case tongue.gif






Thanks SpecialTech, we love u.
post #38992 of 107307
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

I guess I'm going to go with B Neg's advice and setup the video cards in series. I have a single D5, that should be plenty for only dual SLI right? Also, I am correct on setting up the crystal link this way right:



Thanks!

Dont take my word for it,for the price of an extra d plug,you could find out if your loop is better one way or the other.

And one D5 is plenty for your loop Majin. thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

SigRig, new case and extra radiator.


Thanks SpecialTech, we love u.


Yes...Yes we do! thumb.gif
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
post #38993 of 107307
Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post

Warning: Snip (Click to show)
A little video showing why serial is a better method.

The reason you get more overall flow is that less water is actually circulating around the block,higher overall flow is a double edged sword as this makes laminar flow more pronounced,this is to be avoided as the cooling power of your loop is decreased.

I have never seen anyone get better temps with a parallel setup,they are normally on par or worse,not much testing (IE. Martin) has been been done on this so you can take this as my opinion rather than fact.
My own TriSLi setup is in series and the card temps are identical (34c fully loaded,last GPU sometimes goes to 35c),those thinking that series flow will negatively impact GPU temps are mistaken (in my loop at least this is not the case)

Bear in mind the difference's in temps between the 2 are a few degrees at worst.


Mainly this seems to be an aesthetic exercise.


I am more than willing to revise my opinion if empirical evidence can be shown to the contrary by users who have tested this in their own loop with both methods and good test methodology,Im sure im not the only one that would be interested in the results.

Not arguing just sharing my experience.

I have not done anything even close to scientific testing, but it seems that at a certain point if flow drops too low temps do indeed start to go up. I had my tri-sli 580's set up in series first (dedicated D5, 250ml res, Alphacool 420 rad) and temps were ok. You could clearly see though that flow was quite low. I picked up an EK tri bridge and ran in parallel and saw my temps drop considerably (4-5 degrees C average) and the flow was up as well. Obviously there are many variables involved, but it was pretty plain for me that parallel was the way to go.
Edited by num1son - 3/8/13 at 8:32am
 
Test Rig
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS P5N-T EVGA GT 430 Patriot PDC24G6400ELK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB LG Blu Ray/HD DVD Enzotech SCW-REV.A Swiftech MCR320-QP-K x2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows7 Proffesional 64bit Acer 23" LCD Logitech G15 Corsair GS600 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom White Custom Mods Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 EVO Calibre GTX 480 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 2 LG DVD What ever is being tested Windows 7 professional 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" Generic High Power Astro PT 700w Antec 900/TBD 
MouseMouse Pad
ooold Microsoft POS Wood 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 SLI GTX Titans Samsung Green 30nm 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 3 240GB raid0 WD Caviar Black 1TB Dual Loop Water Cooling Windows7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Achieva Shimian 27" 1440p Acer 23" 1080p Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mech Enermax Max Revo 1350 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enermax Fulmo GT Razer Naga EVGA Titan pad Logitec 5.1 
  hide details  
 
Test Rig
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 ASUS P5N-T EVGA GT 430 Patriot PDC24G6400ELK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB LG Blu Ray/HD DVD Enzotech SCW-REV.A Swiftech MCR320-QP-K x2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows7 Proffesional 64bit Acer 23" LCD Logitech G15 Corsair GS600 
CaseMouse
NZXT Phantom White Custom Mods Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K ASUS P8P67 EVO Calibre GTX 480 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 2 LG DVD What ever is being tested Windows 7 professional 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 23" Generic High Power Astro PT 700w Antec 900/TBD 
MouseMouse Pad
ooold Microsoft POS Wood 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770K Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 SLI GTX Titans Samsung Green 30nm 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Vertex 3 240GB raid0 WD Caviar Black 1TB Dual Loop Water Cooling Windows7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Achieva Shimian 27" 1440p Acer 23" 1080p Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mech Enermax Max Revo 1350 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Enermax Fulmo GT Razer Naga EVGA Titan pad Logitec 5.1 
  hide details  
post #38994 of 107307
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1son View Post

Not arguing just sharing my experience.

I have not done anything even close to scientific testing, but it seems that at a certain point if flow drops too low temps do indeed start to go up. I had my tri-sli 580's set up in serial first (dedicated D5, 250ml res, Alphacool 420 rad) and temps were ok. You could clearly see though that flow was quite low. I picked up an EK tri bridge and ran in parallel and saw my temps drop considerably (4-5 degrees C average) and the flow was up as well. Obviously there are many variables involved, but it was pretty plain for me that parallel was the way to go.

I guess he means it depends on the pump you have.

I have 2x 35X which are kings of pressure and should flow fine in Series.

Even tho i did spend another 20$ for the extra 2 crystal links for parallel XD lol.

I just thought after cpu --> 7950 ---> 7950 --> 7950 that the last 7950 would suffer in Series =/
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
post #38995 of 107307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

SigRig, new case and extra radiator.

I'm not one for looks of a case but if you think this looks bad you should see how it looked in the old case tongue.gif

Thanks SpecialTech, we love u.

Looks fantastic! If anybody asks me "What should I do to upgrade my PC?" I will always say "get a new case and make it a BIG one".

Speaking of which I have just added a couple of Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm fans to my HAF X case, as seen below



Now a noobish question; if I want to watercool my RAM it seems that all the major makers seem to assume I must have Corsair Dominator RAM. I don't, I have Gskill Ripjaws X. So my question is - although most of the RAM is advertised for Corsair Dominator, will it actually fit other makes of RAM, once the heat spreaders are removed?
post #38996 of 107307
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinzaC55 View Post

Looks fantastic! If anybody asks me "What should I do to upgrade my PC?" I will always say "get a new case and make it a BIG one".

Speaking of which I have just added a couple of Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm fans to my HAF X case, as seen below



Now a noobish question; if I want to watercool my RAM it seems that all the major makers seem to assume I must have Corsair Dominator RAM. I don't, I have Gskill Ripjaws X. So my question is - although most of the RAM is advertised for Corsair Dominator, will it actually fit other makes of RAM, once the heat spreaders are removed?

LoL yeah Big cases pwn wink.gif

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k 5.2ghz  GIGABYTE G1 Assassin Sniper 3 7950 with Alphacool block 7950 w/ Alphacool Block 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
7950 w/ Alphacool block G.SKILL Trident X 2500mhz 2x4gb SanDisk Extreme 240gb sata III 6gbs x5 SwiftTech Apongee Drive II 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Monsta 360 86mm thick rad X 4 MCP 35X Pump x2 400ML Frozen Q Fusion res x3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
CatLeap 2560x1440 + Acer hn274h bmiiid 120hz 3D Logitech G19 Corsair Ax1200 watts  Mountain Mods Ascension 
MouseAudio
Logitech M570 Pioneer SP-BS21 Bookshelf Loudspeakers + Lepai Amp 
  hide details  
post #38997 of 107307
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1son View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post

Warning: Snip (Click to show)
A little video showing why serial is a better method.

The reason you get more overall flow is that less water is actually circulating around the block,higher overall flow is a double edged sword as this makes laminar flow more pronounced,this is to be avoided as the cooling power of your loop is decreased.

I have never seen anyone get better temps with a parallel setup,they are normally on par or worse,not much testing (IE. Martin) has been been done on this so you can take this as my opinion rather than fact.
My own TriSLi setup is in series and the card temps are identical (34c fully loaded,last GPU sometimes goes to 35c),those thinking that series flow will negatively impact GPU temps are mistaken (in my loop at least this is not the case)

Bear in mind the difference's in temps between the 2 are a few degrees at worst.


Mainly this seems to be an aesthetic exercise.


I am more than willing to revise my opinion if empirical evidence can be shown to the contrary by users who have tested this in their own loop with both methods and good test methodology,Im sure im not the only one that would be interested in the results.

Not arguing just sharing my experience.

I have not done anything even close to scientific testing, but it seems that at a certain point if flow drops too low temps do indeed start to go up. I had my tri-sli 580's set up in series first (dedicated D5, 250ml res, Alphacool 420 rad) and temps were ok. You could clearly see though that flow was quite low. I picked up an EK tri bridge and ran in parallel and saw my temps drop considerably (4-5 degrees C average) and the flow was up as well. Obviously there are many variables involved, but it was pretty plain for me that parallel was the way to go.

I wasnt arguing either. thumb.gif

By temps,do you mean all temps or just the CPU or GPU?

A D5 is more than enough for that loop,I cant see how the flow was lower in a series setup thru the GPUs when the video shown clearly shows flow being poorer in a parallel setup.
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
post #38998 of 107307
I tried both methods on my latest quad rig and parallel takes a huge amount of flow, but once I established that with three pumps the temps are vastly superior to serial operation.
I read that same article that accompanies the video and there are a number of differences between that and mine including just the age of the setup, number of pumps, power of those pumps, blocks, bridge instead of links, 4 cards, etc.
The temp difference is in favor of the parallel by 9c.
I wouldn't go around recommending it because of the flow it takes to run parallel, but it is working very well for me in this case.
2.2 kW Holodeck
(14 items)
 
Chernobyl
(0 items)
Power Station
(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 5.2GHz Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 4 x MSI R 290X 4GB Gaming 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Seagate 1 TB 7200 2 x Asus Optiarc Koolance 370 CPU WB/ AlphaCool Water cooling: ... Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1x3+1 Eyefiniy 5760x1080 Gigabyte 8100K V.2 1-AX1200w + 2x FSP x500w Coolermaster Cosmos II Full Tower 
  hide details  
2.2 kW Holodeck
(14 items)
 
Chernobyl
(0 items)
Power Station
(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 5.2GHz Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 4 x MSI R 290X 4GB Gaming 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Seagate 1 TB 7200 2 x Asus Optiarc Koolance 370 CPU WB/ AlphaCool Water cooling: ... Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1x3+1 Eyefiniy 5760x1080 Gigabyte 8100K V.2 1-AX1200w + 2x FSP x500w Coolermaster Cosmos II Full Tower 
  hide details  
post #38999 of 107307
Thanks guys, I should be tearing the old loop down tonight and rebuilding tomorrow. biggrin.gif
post #39000 of 107307
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

I tried both methods on my latest quad rig and parallel takes a huge amount of flow, but once I established that with three pumps the temps are vastly superior to serial operation.
I read that same article that accompanies the video and there are a number of differences between that and mine including just the age of the setup, number of pumps, power of those pumps, blocks, bridge instead of links, 4 cards, etc.
The temp difference is in favor of the parallel by 9c.
I wouldn't go around recommending it because of the flow it takes to run parallel, but it is working very well for me in this case.

Pumping power is something im not short of....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokies83 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1son View Post

Not arguing just sharing my experience.

I have not done anything even close to scientific testing, but it seems that at a certain point if flow drops too low temps do indeed start to go up. I had my tri-sli 580's set up in serial first (dedicated D5, 250ml res, Alphacool 420 rad) and temps were ok. You could clearly see though that flow was quite low. I picked up an EK tri bridge and ran in parallel and saw my temps drop considerably (4-5 degrees C average) and the flow was up as well. Obviously there are many variables involved, but it was pretty plain for me that parallel was the way to go.

I guess he means it depends on the pump you have.

I have 2x 35X which are kings of pressure and should flow fine in Series.

Even tho i did spend another 20$ for the extra 2 crystal links for parallel XD lol.

I just thought after cpu --> 7950 ---> 7950 --> 7950 that the last 7950 would suffer in Series =/

24v D5 Strongs are the Kings of Pressure at 8.4psi v 6.4 psi for the 35x........

I didnt buy them for nothing. thumb.gif

Still didnt get any improvement over serial and i have a crazy amount of heat sources in my loop. Perhaps my loop is too large to see improvement but i doubt it.


This is one 24v D5 thru 2 CPU blocks,3 FC GPU blocks,mobo block,VRM block,numerous 90's and 3 480 rads.








Good for surfing me thinks!
Edited by B NEGATIVE - 3/8/13 at 9:05am
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
MILSPEC II
(8 items)
 
| LUMO |
(6 items)
 
CLoS3 IMPACT
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
5820k X99m WS 980ti strix 980ti strix 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
KLEVV Cras DDR4  3tb Red Corsair 600w SFX + 450w SFX Caselabs BH4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4970k Z97 Gryphon GTX 680 x2 Crucial Ballistix Elite 16Gb 
PowerCase
Be Quiet Dark Power 850 InWin D Frame Mini 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS Impact ITX R9 290 Gskill Trident 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCase
Samsung EV0 250 x2 WD black Loop.....oh yes...... Caselabs S3....modded 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › OCN Water Cooling Club And Picture Gallery