Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › New Gaming Machine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Gaming Machine

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Tell me what you think I want all the input I can get

Abit Fatal1ty Sli Motherboard

Samsung Combo Drive

Samsung DVD Burner

Thermaltake Kandalf


eVGA Geforce 7800GT

OCZ PowerStream

Logitech 280 Watt Speakers

Zboard

2x Maxtor DiamondMax
200GB



Fujiplus Silver-Black 19"


SENNHEISER PC 150

2x G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB (2 x 512MB)

AMD Opteron 148
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 44
I'd recommend a Seasonic 500 or 600W instead of the OCZ PSU as it's cheaper and probably slightly better.
Also, I'd rather get a DFI nF4 SLI mobo as they have had better results than the Abit.
The AMD 4000+ is just a 3700+ with an extra multiplier, so I'd say go for the 3700+ to say a few $ or, if you can find any in stock, an Opteron 939 146. These are likely to overclock just as well, but are a good deal cheaper.
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
The AMD 4000+ is just a 3700+ with an extra multiplier, so I'd say go for the 3700+ to say a few $ or, if you can find any in stock, an Opteron 939 146. These are likely to overclock just as well, but are a good deal cheaper.
Yeah, it's about $100 cheaper... I almost started to buy the 4000+ then someone pointed out to me what you just said... lol

And I don't think $100 is worth an extra 0.2 GHz...
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 44
Yeah, get the 3700+. with the 100 bucks you save get an Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme music, $112.00.... It will sound great with the speakers you have chosen

If you can afford it go for a 19" screen. thats too much of a killer rig for 17"
post #5 of 44
Thread Starter 
so is the 3700+ and the 4000+ the same processer just one is at 2.2 and the others at 2.4.

EDIT: I was going to get a Opteron 150 But wasn't sure what stepping I would get so
I decided on this.

EDIT#2: I was also planing on adding a WC system down the road.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 44
Pretty much. and you can overclock the 3700 to 2.5 easy. Even with 2 gigs of ram.
post #7 of 44
Take out the combo drive, and just use a DVD-ROM, you won't be able to burn 2x cd's at a time, unless you open two programs at a time, the DVD-Burner can burn cd's as well as dvd's no use in two burners: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151214

Instead of the plantronics (I've grown tired of them, and switched to a more reliable brand), get some sennheiser PC-150 headsets: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106346

You may not be aware, but the new 939pin AMD Opteron's are very popular overclockers, I suggest you get one, they can easily get better clocks than a 4000+ can get, and you will get lower temperatures as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103596

Save your money and instead of getting 2GB so soon, just get 2x512MB sticks, no-one makes 1GB sticks of TCCD memory, so I suggest you get this pair of memory, the TCCD will allow you to very high FSB (better overclock), and you'll be able to run better timings, and you won't NEED 2GB for a while, unless you are planning on maxxing everything out on BF2 (if you even have BF2): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231035

About the motherboard, I personally don't trust ABIT, every board I've dealt with them was very shotty, so I suggest you get an Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe, alot easier to deal with if anything goes wrong (which I doubt anything will): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131517

As far as the powersupply, I am a huge fan of OCZ PowerStreams, but there is only 1 problem with them, low powered fans, however you have chosen the new SLi edition, and I don't know if the fans have been updated but my powerstreams fans are extremely weak, and don't push that much air at all. If you don't really need to stick with the PowerStream, get a Seasonic 600W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151025

As far as your hard drive goes, do you REALLY need that much space? If so, then I suggest maybe getting 2x of those hard drives, and running them in RAID-0, which drasticly improves your pc speed (read, write) resulting in faster game loads, faster windows startup, faster everything really . But if you don't need that much space, check out 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145082
Project Omega
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600K ASUS Sabertooth P67 MSI GTX 570 TwinFrozr II G.SKILL Sniper PC3-14900 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 15TB Lite-On Bluray Player Windows 7 ASUS VW246H (2) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 750TX Antec P280 Logitech G5 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries Experience I-2 X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Omega
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600K ASUS Sabertooth P67 MSI GTX 570 TwinFrozr II G.SKILL Sniper PC3-14900 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 15TB Lite-On Bluray Player Windows 7 ASUS VW246H (2) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 750TX Antec P280 Logitech G5 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries Experience I-2 X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsource
Take out the combo drive, and just use a DVD-ROM, you won't be able to burn 2x cd's at a time, unless you open two programs at a time, the DVD-Burner can burn cd's as well as dvd's no use in two burners: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151214

Instead of the plantronics (I've grown tired of them, and switched to a more reliable brand), get some sennheiser PC-150 headsets: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106346

You may not be aware, but the new 939pin AMD Opteron's are very popular overclockers, I suggest you get one, they can easily get better clocks than a 4000+ can get, and you will get lower temperatures as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103596

Save your money and instead of getting 2GB so soon, just get 2x512MB sticks, no-one makes 1GB sticks of TCCD memory, so I suggest you get this pair of memory, the TCCD will allow you to very high FSB (better overclock), and you'll be able to run better timings, and you won't NEED 2GB for a while, unless you are planning on maxxing everything out on BF2 (if you even have BF2): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231035

About the motherboard, I personally don't trust ABIT, every board I've dealt with them was very shotty, so I suggest you get an Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe, alot easier to deal with if anything goes wrong (which I doubt anything will): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131517

As far as the powersupply, I am a huge fan of OCZ PowerStreams, but there is only 1 problem with them, low powered fans, however you have chosen the new SLi edition, and I don't know if the fans have been updated but my powerstreams fans are extremely weak, and don't push that much air at all. If you don't really need to stick with the PowerStream, get a Seasonic 600W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151025

As far as your hard drive goes, do you REALLY need that much space? If so, then I suggest maybe getting 2x of those hard drives, and running them in RAID-0, which drasticly improves your pc speed (read, write) resulting in faster game loads, faster windows startup, faster everything really . But if you don't need that much space, check out 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145082
I see one problem with that ram, It's not dual channel. Will it still perform as good?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Northwood 3.0 12 caps GA-8s648fx-l <= CRAP xp pro 17 inch 
PowerCaseMouse
480w oxide GE wireless optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Northwood 3.0 12 caps GA-8s648fx-l <= CRAP xp pro 17 inch 
PowerCaseMouse
480w oxide GE wireless optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 44
Thread Starter 
plz elaberate on the Raid-0 ? what is it how does it work.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndragon
I see one problem with that ram, It's not dual channel. Will it still perform as good?
What do you mean its not dual channel? all DDR is dual channel.
Project Omega
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600K ASUS Sabertooth P67 MSI GTX 570 TwinFrozr II G.SKILL Sniper PC3-14900 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 15TB Lite-On Bluray Player Windows 7 ASUS VW246H (2) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 750TX Antec P280 Logitech G5 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries Experience I-2 X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Omega
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600K ASUS Sabertooth P67 MSI GTX 570 TwinFrozr II G.SKILL Sniper PC3-14900 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 15TB Lite-On Bluray Player Windows 7 ASUS VW246H (2) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 750TX Antec P280 Logitech G5 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries Experience I-2 X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › New Gaming Machine