Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Need Some Help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Some Help!

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hello, I have a 600VA(350W) UPS. My power supply is 400W & my Monitor is 100W. Whenever a power faliure happens the computer restarts. Can anyone tell me if i need a powerful UPS or theres something wrong with the one that i have. Thanks........
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.1GHz Gigabyte P35-DS3R GeForce 7600GS KVR 2GB 667 (2x1GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Hitachi 160GB x2 - RAID0 Samsung DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate Mipaq 500W 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.1GHz Gigabyte P35-DS3R GeForce 7600GS KVR 2GB 667 (2x1GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Hitachi 160GB x2 - RAID0 Samsung DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate Mipaq 500W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
It restarts? as in if you unplug the UPS from the wall the computer shuts off but then turns back on?

If it turns off and back on with no plug in the wall then theres either something wrong with the UPS or you need more power to keep steady power without interrupting the computer, try plugging just the PC into it and plug the monitor in the wall, or try an alarm clock plugged into the UPS, it should reset if the power flow is broken when you unplug the UPS.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by accskyman
It restarts? as in if you unplug the UPS from the wall the computer shuts off but then turns back on?

If it turns off and back on with no plug in the wall then theres either something wrong with the UPS or you need more power to keep steady power without interrupting the computer, try plugging just the PC into it and plug the monitor in the wall, or try an alarm clock plugged into the UPS, it should reset if the power flow is broken when you unplug the UPS.
You mean that the ups isnt enough for the load?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.1GHz Gigabyte P35-DS3R GeForce 7600GS KVR 2GB 667 (2x1GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Hitachi 160GB x2 - RAID0 Samsung DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate Mipaq 500W 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.1GHz Gigabyte P35-DS3R GeForce 7600GS KVR 2GB 667 (2x1GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Hitachi 160GB x2 - RAID0 Samsung DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate Mipaq 500W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
You mean that the ups isnt enough for the load?
That or there's something wrong with the UPS, try the alarm clock thing, if it resets theres something wrong with the UPS, if does not reset then theres nothing wrong with the UPS and your computer just needs a better UPS.
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by accskyman
That or there's something wrong with the UPS, try the alarm clock thing, if it resets theres something wrong with the UPS, if does not reset then theres nothing wrong with the UPS and your computer just needs a better UPS.

What is alarm clock thing?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.1GHz Gigabyte P35-DS3R GeForce 7600GS KVR 2GB 667 (2x1GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Hitachi 160GB x2 - RAID0 Samsung DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate Mipaq 500W 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E4400 @ 3.1GHz Gigabyte P35-DS3R GeForce 7600GS KVR 2GB 667 (2x1GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Hitachi 160GB x2 - RAID0 Samsung DVDRW Windows Vista Ultimate Mipaq 500W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
What I used to do:

Although your PSU says 400 watts that's the load it would pull under full power (maybe I'm wrong; correct me if I am pls) I guess that if you just had 1 or 2 HDDs in there it wouldn't be pulling 400 W.

Either way, never plug your monitor into a UPS !
The idea behind a UPS is to give the PC 5 mins or so to shut itself down gracefully, and having a monitor sharing what power is available will only considerably shorten the available power the UPS has to offer.

I always set my UPSs to force power down whatever's open or running since I'd always rather lose a few minutes work or play than deal with fragged HDDs.

Also, I once spent several hours investigating why my UPS wasn't working only to discover that I'd plugged the PC into the part of the UPS that only filters the juice and protects against spikes and dips, and wasn't on the UPS battery circuit itself at all! Had a rather red face I can tell you.....

G'luck.

Will
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Need Some Help!