Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › My First AMD Build.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My First AMD Build. - Page 2

post #11 of 44
think of it logically, the first mobo to have a built in SLI bridge and the ability to switch SLI on and off via software is bound to have issues. And they weren't noobs. Difference is space between cards and inbuilt SLI bridge with software toggle, not truly necessary if it means a safe cpu.

and by the way i remember saying they were running stock speeds, voltage would have been untampered.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 @ 3.2gHz Gigabyte x48-DQ6 BFG 9800GTX+ (G92) OC Edition 2gb Patriot D9s + 2gb G.Skill Pi PC2-8500 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.5 Tb of WD's SATAII (2 x 500 in RAID 0) Pioneer SATA 20x DVDRW Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 *super-tweaked* Panasonic 42" Widescreen Plasma 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ELITE multimedia 750w Pc Power & Cooling Silencer (Red) Thermaltake Xaser XI Black w/t Window Logitech G5 2000 dpi gaming 
Mouse Pad
Flexiglow :D 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 @ 3.2gHz Gigabyte x48-DQ6 BFG 9800GTX+ (G92) OC Edition 2gb Patriot D9s + 2gb G.Skill Pi PC2-8500 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.5 Tb of WD's SATAII (2 x 500 in RAID 0) Pioneer SATA 20x DVDRW Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 *super-tweaked* Panasonic 42" Widescreen Plasma 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ELITE multimedia 750w Pc Power & Cooling Silencer (Red) Thermaltake Xaser XI Black w/t Window Logitech G5 2000 dpi gaming 
Mouse Pad
Flexiglow :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt_shark
think of it logically, the first mobo to have a built in SLI bridge and the ability to switch SLI on and off via software is bound to have issues. And they weren't noobs. Difference is space between cards and inbuilt SLI bridge with software toggle, not truly necessary if it means a safe cpu.

and by the way i remember saying they were running stock speeds, voltage would have been untampered.
The ability to switch SLI on and off is to save power and load off the PSU, if you use it correctly, then it is a smart idea to be able to control.

Thats not the ONLY difference, the OTHER differences are more voltage options, more RAM options, more RAM support and if you ask me thats pretty important, Colin aka OC noob has that board and he has absolutely no problems with it.

They would have to have done something for the CPU to fry, theres no other excuse except for voltages.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ @ 3.0 DFI lan P UT Ultra-D Win XP Pro liquidvideo 17" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
a wal mart one truepower 2 550W Sunbeam Transformer razer diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ @ 3.0 DFI lan P UT Ultra-D Win XP Pro liquidvideo 17" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
a wal mart one truepower 2 550W Sunbeam Transformer razer diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 44
I did not say it fries with everyone but the problem does exist. It has nothing to do with voltages, it was caused by the chipset. A new chipset, never before seen on the market, obviously can have issues. In most cases the cpu fried cause of malfunctioning chipsets or the chipset overheating and the cpu dying.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 @ 3.2gHz Gigabyte x48-DQ6 BFG 9800GTX+ (G92) OC Edition 2gb Patriot D9s + 2gb G.Skill Pi PC2-8500 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.5 Tb of WD's SATAII (2 x 500 in RAID 0) Pioneer SATA 20x DVDRW Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 *super-tweaked* Panasonic 42" Widescreen Plasma 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ELITE multimedia 750w Pc Power & Cooling Silencer (Red) Thermaltake Xaser XI Black w/t Window Logitech G5 2000 dpi gaming 
Mouse Pad
Flexiglow :D 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 @ 3.2gHz Gigabyte x48-DQ6 BFG 9800GTX+ (G92) OC Edition 2gb Patriot D9s + 2gb G.Skill Pi PC2-8500 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.5 Tb of WD's SATAII (2 x 500 in RAID 0) Pioneer SATA 20x DVDRW Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 *super-tweaked* Panasonic 42" Widescreen Plasma 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ELITE multimedia 750w Pc Power & Cooling Silencer (Red) Thermaltake Xaser XI Black w/t Window Logitech G5 2000 dpi gaming 
Mouse Pad
Flexiglow :D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 44
Thread Starter 
yup, cant find gskill, i can get ocz,geil,corsair, and those type of brands
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ A8N32-SLI Deluxe Windows XP Home Sony 19" XBRITE LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech S510 Seasonic S12-600W Lian-Li V1000Plus :D Logitech Mediaplay crdles 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ A8N32-SLI Deluxe Windows XP Home Sony 19" XBRITE LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech S510 Seasonic S12-600W Lian-Li V1000Plus :D Logitech Mediaplay crdles 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 44
What sound card will you be using? On board? Almost all games, Doom 3 being the exception, have the sound on a separate thread. You can DL a patch for Doom 3 to multi thread it though. The only sound cards I know of that have their own processor are made by Creative Labs. If you are using anything but a Creative card it will use your CPU to process the sound and lower your FPS if your GPU is bottlenecked by your processor which it will if your going with 7800s. A Dual Core will improve your performance considerably unless you want to spend $300 on a sound card.

Also consider that RTS games like Lord of the Realms III, and Age of Empires III are multi threaded. Each little guy on the map has its own separate AI controlled by the CPU on a totally separate thread from the graphics which are done by your GPU and CPU together. If you are into these types of games at all you will have a lot less stuttering ingame when you have a lot of guys on screen with a Dual Core. Your GPU can be bottlenecked by your CPU and when half your processing power is being used to control 400 AIs you will be lucky to see 7 or 8 FPS. Dual Cores have no problem with this.

I hope this helps.
post #16 of 44
I've heard of the CPU frying on DFI LanParty UT RDX200 CrossFire boards, but not on the SLI-DR Expert. On the RDX200, the problem was only with FX procs and it only happened when people tried to raise the multi. Haven't heard anything about the SLI-DR Expert. Do you have a link to any info on this?
post #17 of 44
if you're going to get a processor to do some overclocking, get an opetron 148. i'm a flippin retard for not buying one. i'm about to buy one as soon as i get my credit card payed down a little to stick in my second computer w/ a neo2-f and do some massive overclockin on it
The pink bicycle
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 @ 3.4 GHz Asus P5N-E Asus 4890 1 gb 2 x 2 GB OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 150 GB Raptors RAID0 work in progress Windows 7 7600 x64 19" Acer LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft basic Antec 650w my desk mx518 
Mouse Pad
steelpad QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
The pink bicycle
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 @ 3.4 GHz Asus P5N-E Asus 4890 1 gb 2 x 2 GB OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 150 GB Raptors RAID0 work in progress Windows 7 7600 x64 19" Acer LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft basic Antec 650w my desk mx518 
Mouse Pad
steelpad QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt_shark
I did not say it fries with everyone but the problem does exist. It has nothing to do with voltages, it was caused by the chipset. A new chipset, never before seen on the market, obviously can have issues. In most cases the cpu fried cause of malfunctioning chipsets or the chipset overheating and the cpu dying.
The NF4 Sli is not that new of chipset it's on many other boards made by many other company's.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 44
*cough cough* get OCZ plat 2 gb w/ xtra low timings and don't get any msi motherboards because they have crappy memory voltage....and you can't push the vcore past 1.71.... *cough cough cough*
The pink bicycle
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 @ 3.4 GHz Asus P5N-E Asus 4890 1 gb 2 x 2 GB OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 150 GB Raptors RAID0 work in progress Windows 7 7600 x64 19" Acer LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft basic Antec 650w my desk mx518 
Mouse Pad
steelpad QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
The pink bicycle
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 @ 3.4 GHz Asus P5N-E Asus 4890 1 gb 2 x 2 GB OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 150 GB Raptors RAID0 work in progress Windows 7 7600 x64 19" Acer LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft basic Antec 650w my desk mx518 
Mouse Pad
steelpad QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyleck
What sound card will you be using? On board? Almost all games, Doom 3 being the exception, have the sound on a separate thread. You can DL a patch for Doom 3 to multi thread it though. The only sound cards I know of that have their own processor are made by Creative Labs. If you are using anything but a Creative card it will use your CPU to process the sound and lower your FPS if your GPU is bottlenecked by your processor which it will if your going with 7800s. A Dual Core will improve your performance considerably unless you want to spend $300 on a sound card.

Also consider that RTS games like Lord of the Realms III, and Age of Empires III are multi threaded. Each little guy on the map has its own separate AI controlled by the CPU on a totally separate thread from the graphics which are done by your GPU and CPU together. If you are into these types of games at all you will have a lot less stuttering ingame when you have a lot of guys on screen with a Dual Core. Your GPU can be bottlenecked by your CPU and when half your processing power is being used to control 400 AIs you will be lucky to see 7 or 8 FPS. Dual Cores have no problem with this.

I hope this helps.

I can probably push to get a 4400+ but ill have to go with a 1Gig of ram and get more later. Or I could get the 3700+ and get a 2gig...not sure which to go with. What do you or anyone else thing?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ A8N32-SLI Deluxe Windows XP Home Sony 19" XBRITE LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech S510 Seasonic S12-600W Lian-Li V1000Plus :D Logitech Mediaplay crdles 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ A8N32-SLI Deluxe Windows XP Home Sony 19" XBRITE LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech S510 Seasonic S12-600W Lian-Li V1000Plus :D Logitech Mediaplay crdles 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › My First AMD Build.