Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Phase Change › I need 0C Temps!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need 0C Temps!

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Hey eveyone,

After looking at water cooling my new Opti 148, I decided that temperatures will not be That much different then what I have now, at least now worth 150-200$ I decided that I would like to make something for around the same price if thats possible that will give me around 0C temps, a little higher would be fine, Im not going full blown phase -50C here, unless someone can find me one for 200-300$ which i doubt. Would a water chiller give me these temps? Is it possible with my lack of experience? Ive never done anything like this before so i need ideas and a run through of how to accomplish them also.

Thanks!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Hey eveyone,

After looking at water cooling my new Opti 148, I decided that temperatures will not be That much different then what I have now, at least now worth 150-200$ I decided that I would like to make something for around the same price if thats possible that will give me around 0C temps, a little higher would be fine, Im not going full blown phase -50C here, unless someone can find me one for 200-300$ which i doubt. Would a water chiller give me these temps? Is it possible with my lack of experience? Ive never done anything like this before so i need ideas and a run through of how to accomplish them also.

Thanks!
Yes a waterchiller would definitely get you 0 or sub 0C temps quite easily and still be within yoru budget! Towlieee is doing the same thing and took pictures of his progress, that would be a great thread to read first before you begin.

I went through the same process about four years ago and can answer specific questions when they pop up. Basically you'll want to get an AC or dehumidifier and dip the cooling coils into a large reservoir of coolant. Now mind you the coolant will definitely go below zero so you'll have to mix antifreeze with water and you'll also have to condensation proof your system which can get quite messy but can be cleaned up.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Newbie
Yes a waterchiller would definitely get you 0 or sub 0C temps quite easily and still be within yoru budget! Towlieee is doing the same thing and took pictures of his progress, that would be a great thread to read first before you begin.

I went through the same process about four years ago and can answer specific questions when they pop up. Basically you'll want to get an AC or dehumidifier and dip the cooling coils into a large reservoir of coolant. Now mind you the coolant will definitely go below zero so you'll have to mix antifreeze with water and you'll also have to condensation proof your system which can get quite messy but can be cleaned up.
Great, thanks for the help. I have a few questions already:
-will this unit be very loud?
-what do I need to do in order to condensation proof my stuff?

*EDIT*
also, what other hardware will i need besides an air conditioner or dehumidifier and a resevior and will this effect my electric bill as though i am running an air conditioner whenever my computer is on?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Great, thanks for the help. I have a few questions already:
-will this unit be very loud?
-what do I need to do in order to condensation proof my stuff?

*EDIT*
also, what other hardware will i need besides an air conditioner or dehumidifier and a resevior and will this effect my electric bill as though i am running an air conditioner whenever my computer is on?
zerohour before you begin, make sure you look at what Towlieee has done!

Yes a chiller will be loud, perhaps not as bad as Tornado but it'll definitely be louder than stock. Do you find an AC or dehumidifier noisy?

As for condensation proofing, you'll need to wrap your tubing with pipe insulation. You will need to spread dielectric grease in and around the CPU socket and liquid electrical tape works well at protecting the PCB. Neoprene is also important to insulate the surrounding area and behind the motherboard. If you can't find neoprene, buy a bunch of those $1 mouse pads, they're usually made of neoprene.

It will increase your electric bill since it draws quite a bit of power, how much exactly I don't know.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Newbie
zerohour before you begin, make sure you look at what Towlieee has done!

Yes a chiller will be loud, perhaps not as bad as Tornado but it'll definitely be louder than stock. Do you find an AC or dehumidifier noisy?

As for condensation proofing, you'll need to wrap your tubing with pipe insulation. You will need to spread dielectric grease in and around the CPU socket and liquid electrical tape works well at protecting the PCB. Neoprene is also important to insulate the surrounding area and behind the motherboard. If you can't find neoprene, buy a bunch of those $1 mouse pads, they're usually made of neoprene.

It will increase your electric bill since it draws quite a bit of power, how much exactly I don't know.
Yes, i read Towlieee's post, it was very helpful. What goes from the coils to the cpu?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Yes, i read Towlieee's post, it was very helpful. What goes from the coils to the cpu?
Sorry I don't quite understand your question, um here is how the loop should go.

You dip the cooling coils into the reservoir which contains the coolant, which is then pumped (metal pumps recommended, plastic models can shatter) through the tubing to the CPU waterblock (no plastic tops, they crack) then back to the reservoir. That's the cycle, on the way from teh CPU block back to the res, you can also insert a videocard waterblock or two as well.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Newbie
Sorry I don't quite understand your question, um here is how the loop should go.

You dip the cooling coils into the reservoir which contains the coolant, which is then pumped (metal pumps recommended, plastic models can shatter) through the tubing to the CPU waterblock (no plastic tops, they crack) then back to the reservoir. That's the cycle, on the way from teh CPU block back to the res, you can also insert a videocard waterblock or two as well.
Yes, that anwsers my question. I was asking what goes from the coils in the res. to the cpu. I didn't know if it was like a phasse system or a waterblock.

This sounds like quiet the adventure, but it also sounds pretty fun, and cost effective. Are there any guides to condensation proofing?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Yes, that anwsers my question. I was asking what goes from the coils in the res. to the cpu. I didn't know if it was like a phasse system or a waterblock.

This sounds like quiet the adventure, but it also sounds pretty fun, and cost effective. Are there any guides to condensation proofing?
Here is an excellent guide to preventing condensation.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Newbie
Here is an excellent guide to preventing condensation.
Wow that is a great guide. So the only thing i need to insulate is the CPU socket? I thought I needed to do the whole motherboard which rerally turned me off from the subject. Now the CPU block they used that went from the air conditioner coils to the CPU was not any waterblock, it just looked like a slab of copper. Where can you find this? Or is it part of the air conditioner when you take it apart?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 23
So why haven't you looked into TEC's? It's a lot easier than waterchillers, in that you only have to protect the CPU/Socket from condensation instead of all the tubes and everything. It's a lot more compact, also...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3800x2 Manchester, 2.5Ghz ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe 7600GS --> Smoked 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows XP Pro IBM G74 Aspire 520W Purely Custom 
Mouse
IntelliMouse Explorer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3800x2 Manchester, 2.5Ghz ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe 7600GS --> Smoked 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows XP Pro IBM G74 Aspire 520W Purely Custom 
Mouse
IntelliMouse Explorer 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phase Change
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Phase Change › I need 0C Temps!