Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Phase Change › I need 0C Temps!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need 0C Temps! - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Wow that is a great guide. So the only thing i need to insulate is the CPU socket? I thought I needed to do the whole motherboard which rerally turned me off from the subject. Now the CPU block they used that went from the air conditioner coils to the CPU was not any waterblock, it just looked like a slab of copper. Where can you find this? Or is it part of the air conditioner when you take it apart?
You need to insulate the CPU socket (and the surrounding area) as well as the tubing going to and from teh CPU block.

The setup that you saw in the guide was a custom built phase change cooler, it's not what you're planning on doing. I linked to the article because the condensation proofing part is universal.

Pinhead-227 makes a point, TECs can get you temps you want but it'll be expensive and are not as flexible as a waterchiller if you want to cool other parts too.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Hey zero I would really recommend finding a old water fountain. The already have a insulated receiver with the coils in it so all you have to do is run the tubing from the receiver line ends to the block. I just recently picked one up from work for free so I will be trying to get pics to put up of it when i get it set up.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 4.35 /1.38v Asus P5E3 Pro HD3870 Geil Eco DDR3-1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 X233H G15 FSP 550w 
CaseMouse
Bareback (Cases restrict air flow) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 4.35 /1.38v Asus P5E3 Pro HD3870 Geil Eco DDR3-1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 X233H G15 FSP 550w 
CaseMouse
Bareback (Cases restrict air flow) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICYUNVME
Hey zero I would really recommend finding a old water fountain. The already have a insulated receiver with the coils in it so all you have to do is run the tubing from the receiver line ends to the block. I just recently picked one up from work for free so I will be trying to get pics to put up of it when i get it set up.
An old water fountain? Can you tell me more?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Also, for a TEC, don't virtually a whole water cooling setup anyway? So it's very expensive? I was looking at TECs but that turned me off because I do have a budget here.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 23
The water fountain I picked up at work all ready has everything except for the tubing, the CPU block, GPU block and the pump. THe compressor is already there. The condenser is already there. It is already wired to run from 110v and the compressor is already charged and hooked up. It is a normal everyday water fountain found in any building in the world. The best part is that the water receiver in a water fountain already has the refrigerant cooling coil in the receiver and all the lines are insulated. This leaves me only to buy a CPU and GPU block, a pump, and the tubing and fittings. Also the very cool thing about water fountains is that they have a thermostat that you can set to run the water at a range of temps. The whole thing is ready made all you have to do is get the water side of it and insulate your water side. I would advise if you work in a building or go to school just ask the maintenance guy if they have a old water fountain laying around you could have.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 4.35 /1.38v Asus P5E3 Pro HD3870 Geil Eco DDR3-1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 X233H G15 FSP 550w 
CaseMouse
Bareback (Cases restrict air flow) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 4.35 /1.38v Asus P5E3 Pro HD3870 Geil Eco DDR3-1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 X233H G15 FSP 550w 
CaseMouse
Bareback (Cases restrict air flow) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICYUNVME
The water fountain I picked up at work all ready has everything except for the tubing, the CPU block, GPU block and the pump. THe compressor is already there. The condenser is already there. It is already wired to run from 110v and the compressor is already charged and hooked up. It is a normal everyday water fountain found in any building in the world. The best part is that the water receiver in a water fountain already has the refrigerant cooling coil in the receiver and all the lines are insulated. This leaves me only to buy a CPU and GPU block, a pump, and the tubing and fittings. Also the very cool thing about water fountains is that they have a thermostat that you can set to run the water at a range of temps. The whole thing is ready made all you have to do is get the water side of it and insulate your water side. I would advise if you work in a building or go to school just ask the maintenance guy if they have a old water fountain laying around you could have.
wow you hit the jackpot nice find
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 23
I was contemplating phase change but this way is much easier on me and my pocket book lol. Plus im not going for world record oc's. This is actually going to be tested on the rig in my profile and then once I get done tweaking and perfecting it then I am going to be moving to the rig I am planning right now.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 4.35 /1.38v Asus P5E3 Pro HD3870 Geil Eco DDR3-1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 X233H G15 FSP 550w 
CaseMouse
Bareback (Cases restrict air flow) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 4.35 /1.38v Asus P5E3 Pro HD3870 Geil Eco DDR3-1600 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 X233H G15 FSP 550w 
CaseMouse
Bareback (Cases restrict air flow) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour
Also, for a TEC, don't virtually a whole water cooling setup anyway? So it's very expensive? I was looking at TECs but that turned me off because I do have a budget here.
Yeah, for a TEC you have to have a full watercooling loop. But you also have to have one with the "chiller." The only difference is the AC/dehumidifier replaces the water cooling radiator.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3800x2 Manchester, 2.5Ghz ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe 7600GS --> Smoked 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows XP Pro IBM G74 Aspire 520W Purely Custom 
Mouse
IntelliMouse Explorer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3800x2 Manchester, 2.5Ghz ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe 7600GS --> Smoked 1GB Corsair XMS Platinum 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows XP Pro IBM G74 Aspire 520W Purely Custom 
Mouse
IntelliMouse Explorer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead-227
Yeah, for a TEC you have to have a full watercooling loop. But you also have to have one with the "chiller." The only difference is the AC/dehumidifier replaces the water cooling radiator.
Ok i sort of need an image here because i don't fully understand. Can you take a picture of your loop and show me what parts are required?

thanks everyone for baring with me
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Allendale E6400 Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 EVGA 7900GT Team Xtreme 512x2 667 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 200GB SATA XP Pro Service Pack 3 Samsung 793 CRT Logitech Wired 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXsteem 600W Lian Li PC65 - Silver Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 23
ICYUNVME can you provide a link to the water fountain that you're talking about? It sounds like it could be a "prebuilt" chiller for enthusiasts but I'd like to look closer at the specs.

A high powered TEC would probably give slightly better CPU temps at load (assuming the kit is assembled properly) however it would not be as versatile as a waterchilller (the chiller can cool many things while teh TEC can only cool one point). It would probably also be more expensive when you factor in the cost of a quality DC power supply.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phase Change
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Specialized Cooling › Phase Change › I need 0C Temps!