Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD 3700+ San Diego - Overclockin Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD 3700+ San Diego - Overclockin Question

post #1 of 98
Thread Starter 
FOR ALL THOSE WHO HELPED ME...THE ADVENTURE (PROBLEMS) START AGAIN ON PAGE 8

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ __ _
Hello all,

i have overclocked my 3700+ from 2.2Ghz to 2.65Ghz.

I have used:

HTT=265
Multiplier=10x
HT Multiplier=4x

The question i have is that when i run occt or prime 95 at HTT=270, it is unstable - although in all the tasks I do it is fine.

I understand taht prime95 shows complete stability. I get the orunding error is 0.5 not 0.4 error.

The question I have is if I put the HTT=270, but lower the HT Multiplier to 3x, will that be better or worse.

Why does the Ht Muty x HTT have to be under 1000.

Is it essential

thanks
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 98
you should go to 3X, and set your PCI to 67 instead of 66. Its just the nature of the setup
post #3 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
you should go to 3X, and set your PCI to 67 instead of 66. Its just the nature of the setup
Thanks

Why do I go down to 3x. What does the HT Mutilpier mean/do?

I think my pci is on 33.33Mhz, and the other one on 100Mhz.

I am a bit confused.....

Sorry if this all sounds a bit stupid
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 98
The HTT on AMD64 chips is 1000Mhz, so you need to keep it around that level. Sometimes you can o/c it slightly, but it'll make little if any difference.
Setting it to 3x would be fine as you should still have plenty of bandwidth left and hopefully it will help with the stability.
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
The HTT on AMD64 chips is 1000Mhz, so you need to keep it around that level. Sometimes you can o/c it slightly, but it'll make little if any difference.
Setting it to 3x would be fine as you should still have plenty of bandwidth left and hopefully it will help with the stability.
Sorry...I just want to clarify

Are the HTT set at 1000Mhz, I thought I could change theat from 200Mhz to about 400Mhz.

please clarify.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sham
Sorry...I just want to clarify

Are the HTT set at 1000Mhz, I thought I could change theat from 200Mhz to about 400Mhz.

please clarify.
The overall HTT is HTxHT Multiplier. The HT is similar to that of the FSB (Front Side Bus) found on the Intel Systems.
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
The overall HTT is HTxHT Multiplier. The HT is similar to that of the FSB (Front Side Bus) found on the Intel Systems.
I see

How far above 1000 should it go

If it put the Ht multiplier to 3x

and put the HT to 270Mhz, would that be a better performance than the previous one.

thanks
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sham
I see

How far above 1000 should it go

If it put the Ht multiplier to 3x

and put the HT to 270Mhz, would that be a better performance than the previous one.

thanks
The "normal" limit for o/cing the HTT is 1080Mhz (270*4) which makes me think that your instability is due to the HTT, could be something else though.
Dropping it to 810Mhz (270*3) shouldn't affect your system's performance and will hopefully let you clock your CPU slightly higher.
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P170HM
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 2760QM HD 6990m Samsung 1333mhz Crucial M4 SSD 
Hard DriveOS
Western Digital Black 500gb Windows 7 64 Bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
The "normal" limit for o/cing the HTT is 1080Mhz (270*4) which makes me think that your instability is due to the HTT, could be something else though.
Dropping it to 810Mhz (270*3) shouldn't affect your system's performance and will hopefully let you clock your CPU slightly higher.
will do so and get back to you

thanks

just one last question

what actually does the HTT mean. What does it do kin terms of speed?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
AMD 3700+ San Diego Asus A8n-SLi Premium Windows XP Pro Dell 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX Wireless Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Chenbro Gaming Bomb Logitech MX700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sham
will do so and get back to you

thanks

just one last question

what actually does the HTT mean. What does it do kin terms of speed?
HyperTransport Bus and you won't see any performance difference between 800 and 1000, so lower it if you're unstable. Remember, your memory controller is on the cpu die itself, not on the Northbridge like other systems.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD 3700+ San Diego - Overclockin Question