Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Nintendo › Nintendo More powerful than you guys think
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nintendo More powerful than you guys think - Page 3  

post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcar
The Revolution will appeal to the masses because it will be cheap (compared to the competition), and will surely have excellent software support.
Conventional market forces should support this, I agree. But there is more in play here than just price. E.g., the GameCube is substantially less expensive than its competitors too, yet it has a smaller market segment.

Quote:
If I wanted a media center I would rather get a PC.
A lot of people say that, and I never used to care about it either. But let me just tell everyone that it's like DVRs (i.e. Tivo), or VCRs before it: You don't think you want it until you have it, and once you have it you can't imagine how you lived without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster
You guys do know that the PS3 and Xbox360 dont have PPUs because they have 9 and 6 cores respectively? (Xbox360 has 3 cores and each is Hyper Threading enabled, meaning 6 effective cores basically) so a PPU would simply be redundant, just saying.
Unfortunately that doesn't hold water. By that argument they don't need a dedicated graphics processor either because they have enough CPUs to handle the load. And no one believes that, I hope. Remember, a PPU in principle is the same type of component as a GPU, except that it handles physics computations instead of graphical computations. Used correctly, a PPU should outperform an array of general CPU cores on the same task.
Vulcan's PC
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Philips DVD-DL burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Gateway FHD2400 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
Audio
Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Vulcan's PC
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Philips DVD-DL burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Gateway FHD2400 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
Audio
Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
post #22 of 46
Vulcan, the reason they have dedicated graphics processors in the PS3 is because the PS3s 8 SPEs are optimised for Floating Point operations and are pretty slow at shading and such. Therefore the RSX is much better suited to this task.

And Jori, I was merely stating the fact that the PS3 and Xbox360 have the capability to run many threads at a time and 1 or even more of these could easily be used to process physics tasks. Although a dedicated PPU would still probably be marginally beneficial, I guess they found it not very cost effective. Who knows, only time will tell.
iMac 27"
(15 items)
 
  
iMac 27"
(15 items)
 
  
post #23 of 46
Can't you d/l older games for that? I heard that you can purchase them online and download them to the revolution. If thats true, then that console would really be worth it
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Asus P5E Evga 8800gts g92 g.skill 2x2gb ddr2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
320 segate Win7 22" Samsung Logitech 
PowerMouse
Corsair 550vx Logitech mx510 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Asus P5E Evga 8800gts g92 g.skill 2x2gb ddr2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
320 segate Win7 22" Samsung Logitech 
PowerMouse
Corsair 550vx Logitech mx510 
  hide details  
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephane
Can't you d/l older games for that? I heard that you can purchase them online and download them to the revolution. If thats true, then that console would really be worth it
Yeah, my understanding is you can buy/download remakes and/or ports of older games from previous systems for the Revolution. If that's true, that's my main incentive to buy it. Finally get to play Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and all the other classics again, and hopefully with some revamped graphical features.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution XFX Radeon HD6970 G. Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Kingston SSDNow V-Series Western Digital Caviar Black Plextor Slot-Load DVD/RW Windows 7 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC MultiSync EA261WM 26" Logitech Illuminated PC Power & Cooling 750 Watt Lian-Li PC-8N 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400 Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution XFX Radeon HD6970 G. Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Kingston SSDNow V-Series Western Digital Caviar Black Plextor Slot-Load DVD/RW Windows 7 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC MultiSync EA261WM 26" Logitech Illuminated PC Power & Cooling 750 Watt Lian-Li PC-8N 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400 Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
post #25 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
That HP has finally made you crazy.. It was bound to happen..
after i pop in a socket 939 mobo and amd64 3000 the only thing left that is from hp is the cd drives and the hard drive!!!

and hopefully if i get a job i'm getting a 6800 from msi that will cost only 199$!!!!!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.5ghz Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 XP Pro Corperate Philips 17 inch CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fellowes Ergonomic 480W Tt Butterfly Thermaltake Swing Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.5ghz Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 XP Pro Corperate Philips 17 inch CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Fellowes Ergonomic 480W Tt Butterfly Thermaltake Swing Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster
Vulcan, the reason they have dedicated graphics processors in the PS3 is because the PS3s 8 SPEs are optimised for Floating Point operations and are pretty slow at shading and such. Therefore the RSX is much better suited to this task.
Well, yeah, I know. But I'm not following your point. I assume you already know this sort of stuff, but "optimized for floating point" doesn't hurt 3D computations, that's all that 3D computations are. 3D accelerators are the components that are optimized for a specific purpose, i.e. that have special instructions that implement in hardware what it would take several instructions to perform in a general purpose CPU.

I think we're on the same page there, even if it doesn't seem like it. But I don't follow why you don't think a PPU will offer the same benefits that a GPU does (it will, when used correctly; which may take a couple of years).
Vulcan's PC
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Philips DVD-DL burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Gateway FHD2400 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
Audio
Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Vulcan's PC
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital Caviar LG Blu-Ray burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Philips DVD-DL burner Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Gateway FHD2400 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 ThermalTake Smart 750W Lian Li PC-6077 Logitech G5 
Audio
Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeueZiel
Im pretty sure they thought of it. And realized they didn't need it.

Seeing as the NR is going to need all the help it can get with its weak system specs =D
There are numerous sites that say Nintendo will use a software or something that "pretties" up things. And like I said, dont try to give Sony and Microsoft credit where it isnt due. PPU's are just NOW being implemented into PC's. It didnt cross Sony or Microsoft's mind for a moment. They just focus on graphics and rely on the titles they have been for years.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 3600+ X2 Biostar Tforce 550 BFG 7600GT OC Corsair XMS DDR675 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 160GB + WD 80GB SATA Windows XP Pro Compaq MV720 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
FSP FX600-GLN Aspire X-Cruiser Black Razer Copperhead Tempest Ratzpad GS 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 3600+ X2 Biostar Tforce 550 BFG 7600GT OC Corsair XMS DDR675 2x1024 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 160GB + WD 80GB SATA Windows XP Pro Compaq MV720 Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
FSP FX600-GLN Aspire X-Cruiser Black Razer Copperhead Tempest Ratzpad GS 
  hide details  
post #28 of 46
I thoguth xbox 360 had a ppu as part of it's gpu? Meh...whatever...I probably won't buy either until they're all cheap then just but the two best ones...
Desktop
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Gigabyte XA990-UD3 Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce III G. Skill RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Western Digital Blue LG Dual Layer Sata Antec Kuhler 920 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Dell 2007wfp 20.1" Logitech G710+ Corsair Professional HX650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster Silencio Steelseries Sensei [RAW] Func F10.s 
  hide details  
Desktop
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Gigabyte XA990-UD3 Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce III G. Skill RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Western Digital Blue LG Dual Layer Sata Antec Kuhler 920 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Dell 2007wfp 20.1" Logitech G710+ Corsair Professional HX650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster Silencio Steelseries Sensei [RAW] Func F10.s 
  hide details  
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
Yeah, my understanding is you can buy/download remakes and/or ports of older games from previous systems for the Revolution. If that's true, that's my main incentive to buy it. Finally get to play Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and all the other classics again, and hopefully with some revamped graphical features.
That would be pretty cool, to play N64 games with Revolution (or near-Revolution) graphics...

Or Super Mario Bros. 3 with Revolution visuals..
lol, that's my favorite classic game...

I really think the Revoution will be worth it for the money, even if it's only half of what the XBox 360 or PS3 is.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori
There are numerous sites that say Nintendo will use a software or something that "pretties" up things. And like I said, dont try to give Sony and Microsoft credit where it isnt due. PPU's are just NOW being implemented into PC's. It didnt cross Sony or Microsoft's mind for a moment. They just focus on graphics and rely on the titles they have been for years.


Mario (and everything that has its name), Metroid, Legends of Zelda.

Yeah, those seem to be the only reason to buy any nintendo system. So.. Yeah what is your point about relying on games? and yeah... Nintendo's graphics are still going to suck comparatively.

So umm.. I really dont see whats so great about the PPU being in the NR anyways. I mean granted the system would be absolutely horrible if it didnt... so yeah..

I mean, they way the franchises are going now there doesn't seem to be much hope for Nintendo. There has been no good mario game since 64. Metroid is better off as a side scroller, not some FPS. And Legends of Zelda's only hope seems to be Twilight Princess. All of these games are classics, and in my opinion what Nintendo has been spitting out recently does not even compliment how great they where.

Sure the Revolution may re-invent the way to play a game (in other words a gimmick) But I hardly think that it will make up for the titles that continuously become degraded with every release.
Getter One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 ASUS Rampage II GENE ASUS HD EAH5870 Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium ViewSonic VX922 G15 600W Antec Trupower 
CaseMouse
Antec Mini P180 G5 
  hide details  
Getter One
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 ASUS Rampage II GENE ASUS HD EAH5870 Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600mhz 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium ViewSonic VX922 G15 600W Antec Trupower 
CaseMouse
Antec Mini P180 G5 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nintendo
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Nintendo › Nintendo More powerful than you guys think