Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TI.UK]Illegal downloaders spend the most on music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TI.UK]Illegal downloaders spend the most on music - Page 20

post #191 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
This is not the first study that has come to this conclusion, and most study surveys on criminal activity are done anonymously.

Why does everyone assume this study is wrong, or ignore it? Why does everyone assume that all these people who say they buy more music now that they file-share than before are lying? Are we that cynical, or have we all been programmed by the media on the subject? There are a LOT of reasons the physical medium is desirable over an MP3. Sound quality, bonus material, cover art and other insert material, collectors value, not everyone has a cd player in their car that plays mp3's, etc. A lot of music lovers like to collect cds just to show them off on their collection wall, or if you're really into a band there is a desire to have their actual album in you possession.

Like I said, there have been multiple studies that show downloaders buy more music than non-downloaders, how many studies need to be done before this is believed, or are assumptions and anecdotal observations considered more valid than scientific studies these days?
It's a survey, not a scientific study. Just saying...
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #192 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebster View Post
I understand what you are saying, and it makes perfect sense. However, in reality the defendant would fight the ridiculously overzealous fines all the way up through the court system (if necessary) and have it overturned or reduced for not fitting the punishment.

If I got caught downloading 15 songs, and I got fined $100000, the fine would not stick because the value of 15 songs is about $20. The record companies would have to prove you enabled 5000 other people to download the song - which is impossible. Even with a damages or punitive value added onto the fines, there is no way something like this would get jail time.
Here is where you are wrong.

Fines, by nature, are not compensatory. They are criminal in nature (this applies to both USA and Australia). You are confusing Criminal Law and Civil Law.

So, for example, if you were caught downloading music, you would actually have two separate cases to deal with:

The Criminal Case

This would involve the massive fine. Fines have exactly two purposes:

1) Punishment; and
2) Deterance

Notice that remuneration is not an included purpose. In other words, it is totally irrelevant how much the music you downloaded was worth. So long as the fine punishes, and deters, it serves its purpose (which a $100,000 fine certainly would).

Now, as you correctly stated, in most countries there are various due process limitations on how big of a punishment can attach to a crime. But currently in the United States, and I assume in Australia, there doesn't appear to be any due process snag in charging someone $100,000/song + possible jail time for misappropriating a copyright.

This is what I am trying to get across to you guys -- THIS IS A BIG FU**ING DEAL. I realize most of you think this is just some ordinary misdemeanor because you rationalize it and because you do it so often -- but the U.S. government (and most others) treat copyright infringement as a HUGE FU**ING DEAL. The inherent problem with copyright infringement has LITTLE TO DO with economic losses. The problem is that it systematically destroys our entire system of intellectual property.

If you will permit me one last analogy, I will say this: When you get caught by the police for breaking, entering, and stealing a $4,000 automobile, the amount of fine + jail has NOTHING to do with the value of the automobile. The REASON you go to jail for the offense is because these stiff fines are designed to strictly maintain our system of personal property.

JUST AS IMPORTANT, if not more important in the years to come, is our system of intellectual property. When you download a song, the government doesn't really give two damns that the song you downloaded was only worth $.99. That isn't the point. The point is that you have violated, in a gross and obvious manner, the property rights of the song owner (similar to violating the property rights of the car owner). THUS, your punishment has nothing to do with the value of the song -- it is a function of deterring rampant abuse of our intellectual property system.

This is the same reason fines and jail time are huge for car theft. No one actually cares about the 1989 Toyota that was stolen. What we care about is deterring people from breaking the damn law -- so we impose VERY VERY harsh penalties for doing so.

The Civil Case

In an ordinary civil case, this is where the VALUE of the songs misappropriated may come into play.

The record company may be able to recover any damages it could show.

At any rate, these explanations are greatly simplified.
My Puter
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell @ 4.2GHZ on Air Gigabyte EVGA HD 7870 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black Windows 8 Hanns-G 28" HG281D Corsair 620Watts 
Case
Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
My Puter
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell @ 4.2GHZ on Air Gigabyte EVGA HD 7870 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black Windows 8 Hanns-G 28" HG281D Corsair 620Watts 
Case
Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
post #193 of 220
So if I steal an album with 20 songs on it from the store, I'll be fined a hundred thousand dollars?
Obsidian
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 3.6ghz 1.146v EVGA x58 GTX470 water 6GB 1600mhz 6-8-6-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD (80+60GB) HDD (2+2TB) Windows 7 x64 24" + 22" G15 
PowerCaseMouse
M12D 850W 800D G9 
  hide details  
Reply
Obsidian
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 3.6ghz 1.146v EVGA x58 GTX470 water 6GB 1600mhz 6-8-6-18 1.6V 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SSD (80+60GB) HDD (2+2TB) Windows 7 x64 24" + 22" G15 
PowerCaseMouse
M12D 850W 800D G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #194 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
So if I steal an album with 20 songs on it from the store, I'll be fined a hundred thousand dollars?
No, you're not committing copyright infringement.

HOWEVER, you are shoplifting. In many states, shoplifting leads to fines and jail time. It is a felony (you'll note that most shoplifting statues do not even reference the value of the thing stolen).
My Puter
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell @ 4.2GHZ on Air Gigabyte EVGA HD 7870 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black Windows 8 Hanns-G 28" HG281D Corsair 620Watts 
Case
Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
My Puter
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell @ 4.2GHZ on Air Gigabyte EVGA HD 7870 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black Windows 8 Hanns-G 28" HG281D Corsair 620Watts 
Case
Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
post #195 of 220
Thats why I have a Zune Pass

Its like an insurance policy against pirating. For just a mere $15 a month I have access to all the music I will ever want so I dont have to go out and download it illegally.
T3k
(13 items)
 
The Tibaldi
(9 items)
 
WooJoo
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3210 h77 HD4000 GeForce 640 LE 
RAMHard DriveOSOS
4gb of something 5400rpm slowness 13.04 Ubuntu x64  Windows 8 Pro 
Monitor
1920x1080 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965 BE 4.0GHZ (250 x 15.5) @1.5V m2n32 sli deluxe - 2000mhz @ 1.3V Asus TOP 5850 1GB 950/1200 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 150GB, WD raptor 74gb TDK 880N DVDRW Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Westinghouse 22" lcd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
saitek eclipse II Corsair 620W modular Cooler Master ATCS 840 black emprex 
  hide details  
Reply
T3k
(13 items)
 
The Tibaldi
(9 items)
 
WooJoo
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3210 h77 HD4000 GeForce 640 LE 
RAMHard DriveOSOS
4gb of something 5400rpm slowness 13.04 Ubuntu x64  Windows 8 Pro 
Monitor
1920x1080 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965 BE 4.0GHZ (250 x 15.5) @1.5V m2n32 sli deluxe - 2000mhz @ 1.3V Asus TOP 5850 1GB 950/1200 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 150GB, WD raptor 74gb TDK 880N DVDRW Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Westinghouse 22" lcd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
saitek eclipse II Corsair 620W modular Cooler Master ATCS 840 black emprex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #196 of 220
meh

i just checked out the zune store and checked a couple of artists...some had zero results, some only had one or two releases. i'd check itunes to compare but i dunno how to check the itunes store without installing itunes and screw that.

i'll never pay for lossy files though
poo
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 920 Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P Sapphire HD 5850 8GB G.Skill PI Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
~13 TB Samsung SH-S223L Win7 Pro x64 Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Corsair HX620 Corsair 650D Logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Puretrak Talent Yamaha RX-V795 Energy RC-10 Audio Technica ATH-AD700 
Audio
Chrysalis Bassmatrix-10 
  hide details  
Reply
poo
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 920 Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P Sapphire HD 5850 8GB G.Skill PI Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
~13 TB Samsung SH-S223L Win7 Pro x64 Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Corsair HX620 Corsair 650D Logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Puretrak Talent Yamaha RX-V795 Energy RC-10 Audio Technica ATH-AD700 
Audio
Chrysalis Bassmatrix-10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #197 of 220
Copyright infringement laws = FAIL!!

Just because the USA has DMCA doesn't stop a smart person from taking their piracy to another country that doesn't give a rats @@@ about piracy...

If they think they can scare people by suing you for millions of dollars then they fail to. Its a civil lawsuit so all you have to do it say that you can only afford to pay $5 on the settlement a month.

This thread = FAIL
Piracy = WIN
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 GTX 580 GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Who cares? Intel SSD  Windows 7 Dell u3011 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell u3011 Seasonic x1200 800D G700 
AudioAudio
Xonar STX Beyerdynamic DT 990 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 GTX 580 GTX 580 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Who cares? Intel SSD  Windows 7 Dell u3011 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell u3011 Seasonic x1200 800D G700 
AudioAudio
Xonar STX Beyerdynamic DT 990 
  hide details  
Reply
post #198 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Patrick View Post

If they think they can scare people by suing you for millions of dollars then they fail to. Its a civil lawsuit so all you have to do it say that you can only afford to pay $5 on the settlement a month.

You may want to research both of your points here a little bit . . .
My Puter
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell @ 4.2GHZ on Air Gigabyte EVGA HD 7870 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black Windows 8 Hanns-G 28" HG281D Corsair 620Watts 
Case
Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
My Puter
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell @ 4.2GHZ on Air Gigabyte EVGA HD 7870 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB WD Black Windows 8 Hanns-G 28" HG281D Corsair 620Watts 
Case
Antec Nine Hundred 
  hide details  
Reply
post #199 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Patrick View Post
If they think they can scare people by suing you for millions of dollars then they fail to. Its a civil lawsuit so all you have to do it say that you can only afford to pay $5 on the settlement a month.
I'm not sure it quite works like that. But cute thinking
post #200 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheGTIguy View Post
You may want to research both of your points here a little bit . . .
His point has issues but still stand, at least the first part. Has anyone been scared into stopping piracy because of the $2mil ruling? Now how many have instead found that ruling outrageous and turned against the music industry? I'd wager there are far more in the latter catagory...
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TI.UK]Illegal downloaders spend the most on music