Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] AMD Athlon II X4 Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OFFICIAL] AMD Athlon II X4 Club - Page 124

post #1231 of 1595
Well, when I look in CPU-Z I think it shows 512k Level 3. Cant check right now cause im at work but, that sounds about right. From what I remember I dont think there was a big performance difference in gaming, clock to clock from Athlon II X4 to Phenom II X4. Some games had very minimal difference while some had around 5 to 7% difference.

Im not savy on overclocking. I got the Athlon to 3.4ghz because my mobo has a easy oc switch to switch from 10 to 20% gains. The voltage is set to 1.37 with the OC, so im not even sure if the voltage has been bumped from stock. How would I go about unlocking the L3? Or is the 512k the max I would get out of it?
Decepticon!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630@3.4ghz MSI 790XT-G45 Sapphire Radeon 5850 8 GB OCZ Plat DDR-2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2X320 WD 7200rpm Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit ASUS VE278Q 27" LED Raidmax RX850AE- 80+Gold 
Case
CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Decepticon!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630@3.4ghz MSI 790XT-G45 Sapphire Radeon 5850 8 GB OCZ Plat DDR-2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2X320 WD 7200rpm Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit ASUS VE278Q 27" LED Raidmax RX850AE- 80+Gold 
Case
CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1232 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Well, when I look in CPU-Z I think it shows 512k Level 3. Cant check right now cause im at work but, that sounds about right. From what I remember I dont think there was a big performance difference in gaming, clock to clock from Athlon II X4 to Phenom II X4. Some games had very minimal difference while some had around 5 to 7% difference.

Im not savy on overclocking. I got the Athlon to 3.4ghz because my mobo has a easy oc switch to switch from 10 to 20% gains. The voltage is set to 1.37 with the OC, so im not even sure if the voltage has been bumped from stock. How would I go about unlocking the L3? Or is the 512k the max I would get out of it?
That 512k is your L2 cache. Not L3 cache.

The Athlon II is 3-5% slower than the Phenom II clock for clock, depending on the application. Sometimes less, but I've never seen a benchmark where it was more than 5% slower.

Just do some reading around in the AMD section. 1.37v is basically stock (1.35v is stock). You're safe up to 1.55v vcore and 1.45v CPU-NB. So you've got a LOT of room left .

Unlocking the L3 is done with ACC in your BIOS. But you'll need to understand voltages to get it to work right sometimes, and that's if you have the L3 to begin with.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1233 of 1595
Yeah, I too have pretty bad issues with GTA as well which I did notice that it eating 100% of my CPU but only 80% of my GPU. Should I try to hit the max clock on the 1.37 voltage then just up the voltage by .01 intagers and then raising clock more? My H-50 I have on the CPU keeps temps VERY low. I idle at 17-20C full load hits about 35C on my 3.4 OC. Think I can get "safely" get another 200-300mhz without worrying about temps and problems? Maybe I should research the best way to OC the Athlon instead of waisting all your time

Thank you for the posts people! I really apprechaite the help!
Decepticon!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630@3.4ghz MSI 790XT-G45 Sapphire Radeon 5850 8 GB OCZ Plat DDR-2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2X320 WD 7200rpm Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit ASUS VE278Q 27" LED Raidmax RX850AE- 80+Gold 
Case
CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Decepticon!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630@3.4ghz MSI 790XT-G45 Sapphire Radeon 5850 8 GB OCZ Plat DDR-2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2X320 WD 7200rpm Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit ASUS VE278Q 27" LED Raidmax RX850AE- 80+Gold 
Case
CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1234 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Yeah, I too have pretty bad issues with GTA as well which I did notice that it eating 100% of my CPU but only 80% of my GPU. Should I try to hit the max clock on the 1.37 voltage then just up the voltage by .01 intagers and then raising clock more? My H-50 I have on the CPU keeps temps VERY low. I idle at 17-20C full load hits about 35C on my 3.4 OC. Think I can get "safely" get another 200-300mhz without worrying about temps and problems? Maybe I should research the best way to OC the Athlon instead of waisting all your time

Thank you for the posts people! I really apprechaite the help!
3.5GHz (with my chip) will take around 1.42v or so.

And I think you can SAFELY get 3.6-3.7GHz easy enough.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1235 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Well, when I look in CPU-Z I think it shows 512k Level 3. Cant check right now cause im at work but, that sounds about right. From what I remember I dont think there was a big performance difference in gaming, clock to clock from Athlon II X4 to Phenom II X4. Some games had very minimal difference while some had around 5 to 7% difference.

Im not savy on overclocking. I got the Athlon to 3.4ghz because my mobo has a easy oc switch to switch from 10 to 20% gains. The voltage is set to 1.37 with the OC, so im not even sure if the voltage has been bumped from stock. How would I go about unlocking the L3? Or is the 512k the max I would get out of it?
If the L3 cache is stable, your cpu will match a Phenom II clock for clock.

Page one of this thread has a great guide for unlocking AM3 cpus..
post #1236 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
That 512k is your L2 cache. Not L3 cache.

The Athlon II is 3-5% slower than the Phenom II clock for clock, depending on the application. Sometimes less, but I've never seen a benchmark where it was more than 5% slower.

Just do some reading around in the AMD section. 1.37v is basically stock (1.35v is stock). You're safe up to 1.55v vcore and 1.45v CPU-NB. So you've got a LOT of room left .

Unlocking the L3 is done with ACC in your BIOS. But you'll need to understand voltages to get it to work right sometimes, and that's if you have the L3 to begin with.
Actually Phenom II averages about 10% or more faster than Athlon II at same clocks.

Just look at X3 435 vs X3 720 BE

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/112?vs=83
Sandy
(6 items)
 
XuperXeon
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 3970X Asus Rampage IV Extreme Sapphire R9 Fury Samsung 850 Pro 
OSPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 OCZ Gold 850W 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5675 @ 4.6Ghz Asus Sabertooth X58 AMD Radeon R9 Fury Corsair XMS DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZ Vertex WD VelociRaptor LiteOn DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i GTX Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Hanns-G 27" LED Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 850W ZX Series Thermaltake Level 10 GT Razer DeathAdder 3500dpi Xtrac Ripper 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy
(6 items)
 
XuperXeon
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 3970X Asus Rampage IV Extreme Sapphire R9 Fury Samsung 850 Pro 
OSPower
Windows 7 Pro x64 OCZ Gold 850W 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon X5675 @ 4.6Ghz Asus Sabertooth X58 AMD Radeon R9 Fury Corsair XMS DDR3  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZ Vertex WD VelociRaptor LiteOn DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i GTX Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Hanns-G 27" LED Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 850W ZX Series Thermaltake Level 10 GT Razer DeathAdder 3500dpi Xtrac Ripper 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1237 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
3.5GHz (with my chip) will take around 1.42v or so.

And I think you can SAFELY get 3.6-3.7GHz easy enough.


Nice! What a good chip the Athlon is turning out to be. A lot of people gave me a lot of crap about upgrading my GPU every 8 months to a year and not upgrading my Mobo, CPU. I paid $49.99 for the 630 about 6 months ago wondering if it would adequitly replace my Core2Duo setup I had before (which was I think around $400 for the mobo and cpu when it was newer). Getting such good OC at such low power/temps and it has kept my rig happy. Ill see what I can do about getting it to 3.7 and post back with my results. Thank you!

Radeon 6970- Bring on Crysis 2!
Decepticon!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630@3.4ghz MSI 790XT-G45 Sapphire Radeon 5850 8 GB OCZ Plat DDR-2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2X320 WD 7200rpm Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit ASUS VE278Q 27" LED Raidmax RX850AE- 80+Gold 
Case
CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
Decepticon!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630@3.4ghz MSI 790XT-G45 Sapphire Radeon 5850 8 GB OCZ Plat DDR-2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2X320 WD 7200rpm Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit ASUS VE278Q 27" LED Raidmax RX850AE- 80+Gold 
Case
CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1238 of 1595
Highest OC I've been able to get stable:

Athlon II X4 630 @ 3510MHz
1.4v VCore
AMI BIOS v2.5
MSI GF615M-P33
Lapped K8 stock heatsink with Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM behind
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1652545 - Rest of info should be in there
Windows 7 Home x64
Baseplate-II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-US2H XFX HD5770 1GB 2x2Gb OCZ SpecOPS PC3-12800H 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Spinpoint F3 500GB Pioneer DVR-112BK Akasa AK-876 Windows 7 Home x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X223HQ Sidewinder X6 Corsair CX400W Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Cheap PS/2 mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Baseplate-II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-US2H XFX HD5770 1GB 2x2Gb OCZ SpecOPS PC3-12800H 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Spinpoint F3 500GB Pioneer DVR-112BK Akasa AK-876 Windows 7 Home x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X223HQ Sidewinder X6 Corsair CX400W Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Cheap PS/2 mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1239 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleenharvester View Post
Highest OC I've been able to get stable:

Athlon II X4 630 @ 3510MHz
1.4v VCore
AMI BIOS v2.5
MSI GF615M-P33
Lapped K8 stock heatsink with Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM behind
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1652545 - Rest of info should be in there
Windows 7 Home x64
Thats pretty good for that motherboard.
post #1240 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawleZ View Post
Actually Phenom II averages about 10% or more faster than Athlon II at same clocks.

Just look at X3 435 vs X3 720 BE

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/112?vs=83
He was referring to when the l3 is unlocked on the chip clock for clock.
Mr.Hoover
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 620 3.5Ghz L3 1.4 unlocked Asus M4A77D Msi Gtx 460 Hawk stock voltage (830/1660, 2130) Ocz Sli 900 Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 500/ Spinpoint F1 1T Windows 7 ultimate x64 Acer 23" 1080p G235H Microsoft Sidewinder x6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750tx cm 690II Advanced Logitech G500 Clipboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr.Hoover
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 620 3.5Ghz L3 1.4 unlocked Asus M4A77D Msi Gtx 460 Hawk stock voltage (830/1660, 2130) Ocz Sli 900 Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 500/ Spinpoint F1 1T Windows 7 ultimate x64 Acer 23" 1080p G235H Microsoft Sidewinder x6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750tx cm 690II Advanced Logitech G500 Clipboard 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] AMD Athlon II X4 Club