Overclock.net › Forums › Volt Mods › General Volt Mods › The OCN Volt Mod Squad | HWbot's Finest | The Official Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OCN Volt Mod Squad | HWbot's Finest | The Official Club - Page 65

post #641 of 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG8z View Post
yo vmod squad, just thought i should share this with you for anyone who wants:

http://www.overclock.net/full-system...ables-etc.html

BFG 8800 GTS 320 mb w/ DuOrb - $55

thats cheap, but what is even better, is i PMd him asking how much without the durorb, and he said he would sell it for $30 without the duorb. $30 for an 8800gts 320mb :O

I didnt take it because international shipping was too much and i dont have any spare PCIE slots.

but maybe one of you would be keen? i would if international shipping wasnt more than the card itself
Nice find, i would probably purchase it if I didnt just buy 2 other cards and Im kinda strapped for cash and have other priorities. Still nice find though
EVOLVE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|i5 750-voltage may vary| |Foxconn Katana[Non GTI]| 380 4Gb |4Gb/Tridents@Clocked| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|[V3/60Gb][500Gb]| |Windows 7 64 bit| |LG-EW224| |Antec HCG750| 
Case
|Tech Station| 
  hide details  
Reply
EVOLVE
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|i5 750-voltage may vary| |Foxconn Katana[Non GTI]| 380 4Gb |4Gb/Tridents@Clocked| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|[V3/60Gb][500Gb]| |Windows 7 64 bit| |LG-EW224| |Antec HCG750| 
Case
|Tech Station| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #642 of 1336
Thread Starter 
nice, Iw ould be all over that if:

A) I had the cash and the will to drive an hours round trip to grab more dry ice
B) I wasn't going to set up 3-way SLI in a week or two on my loop = no more adjusting my loop and adding new GPUs to bench until i get a tech bench
C) I wasn't trying to save my last bits of cash for partying for my last 18 days of freedom before I ship out for basic training

still an awesome deal, easy hwbot points with good cooling and OCP mod boo yea
post #643 of 1336
ill jump on the bandwagon and list the reasons im not buying it:

1. International shipping will cost more than the card itself, so ends up costing what it would to buy it locally, WITH a heatsink

2. Im trying to save my money, seeing as im 14 and can start learning to drive at 15, so wanting to start saving now so i can get a car when im ready

3. already have 2 unneeded cards sitting around


by the way, will OCP be present on my 8800gt? anyone know what core voltage it will kick in at? From what i can gather, ocp is over current protection, and it stops the core voltage from being over a certain level, and is bad for vmodding, and shuts the computer off when core voltage gets too high? Is there any way i can disable it on my 8800gt?

if someone could tell me a bit more about it/answer the above then that would be awesome, probably best to PM me, so i stop cluttering this thread up with my noobishness :-P

edit: or to discuss OCP you could hit me up on msn:
gbuchanan (at) windowslive (dot) com
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 P5K XFX 8800gt Alphadog VMODDED 2gb GSKILL DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 DVD-RW Drive windows 7 32 Bit Benq G2220HD 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard SilverStone Decathlon DA650 Bench/Test/OC Platform Creative Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 P5K XFX 8800gt Alphadog VMODDED 2gb GSKILL DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 DVD-RW Drive windows 7 32 Bit Benq G2220HD 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard SilverStone Decathlon DA650 Bench/Test/OC Platform Creative Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #644 of 1336
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG8z View Post
ill jump on the bandwagon and list the reasons im not buying it:

1. International shipping will cost more than the card itself, so ends up costing what it would to buy it locally, WITH a heatsink

2. Im trying to save my money, seeing as im 14 and can start learning to drive at 15, so wanting to start saving now so i can get a car when im ready

3. already have 2 unneeded cards sitting around


by the way, will OCP be present on my 8800gt? anyone know what core voltage it will kick in at? From what i can gather, ocp is over current protection, and it stops the core voltage from being over a certain level, and is bad for vmodding, and shuts the computer off when core voltage gets too high? Is there any way i can disable it on my 8800gt?

if someone could tell me a bit more about it/answer the above then that would be awesome, probably best to PM me, so i stop cluttering this thread up with my noobishness :-P

edit: or to discuss OCP you could hit me up on msn:
gbuchanan (at) windowslive (dot) com
That's what this thread is for sharing info by helping people individually. The higher you flash your VID voltage in your bios the higher your OCP trigger point (in most cards it is a ratio based on the VID or a trigger point designated using various legs of the PWM and resistance).

It seems you have grasped the basics of OCP, it makes sure your vcore doesnt reach a certain point that manufacturers have deemed dangerous... it will either crash or drop your voltages back and ruin whatever benchmark you are doing.

Your 8800gt most likely maxes out at 1.1/1.15v volts when it is flashed with additional volts on the vcore. OCP will generally kick in over 1.4v, generally around 1.42-1.45 depending on your DROOP. Capping and inductors/chokes can helps stop the fluctuations in the voltage and allow you to squeeze out extra clocks before touching that OCP level. (CL3p20)

Pretty much a OCP mod will trick the card in a number of ways to manipulate that trigger point or completely disable it. Post some pics of the mod area of your 8800GT and the number of the PWM/IC that controls the vGPU. VMEM doenst have an OCP that I know of, its only protection is suicide when you crank it too high...
post #645 of 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha d0ctor View Post
That's what this thread is for sharing info by helping people individually. The higher you flash your VID voltage in your bios the higher your OCP trigger point (in most cards it is a ratio based on the VID or a trigger point designated using various legs of the PWM and resistance).

It seems you have grasped the basics of OCP, it makes sure your vcore doesnt reach a certain point that manufacturers have deemed dangerous... it will either crash or drop your voltages back and ruin whatever benchmark you are doing.

Your 8800gt most likely maxes out at 1.1/1.15v volts when it is flashed with additional volts on the vcore. OCP will generally kick in over 1.4v, generally around 1.42-1.45 depending on your DROOP. Capping and inductors/chokes can helps stop the fluctuations in the voltage and allow you to squeeze out extra clocks before touching that OCP level. (CL3p20)

Pretty much a OCP mod will trick the card in a number of ways to manipulate that trigger point or completely disable it. Post some pics of the mod area of your 8800GT and the number of the PWM/IC that controls the vGPU. VMEM doenst have an OCP that I know of, its only protection is suicide when you crank it too high...
rep+
thanks, explains a lot, so if i flash the bios to 1.1v stock, it will raise the OCP trigger level?

So it triggers when one leg of the IC is higher than specified? Well, what would happen, if you cut the leg if the ic that it monitors?

eg: its rule might be "if pin x is higher than value y, then trigger ocp"
then couldnt you cut pin/leg x of the ic so it is getting 0.0v into it? because 0.0v is not higher than the specified value(1.4v or whatever)

edit: and for the ocp mod, my card seems pretty referance, heres pics, they may or may not help, they were showcasing my mod :-):
http://www.overclock.net/8049779-post193.html
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 P5K XFX 8800gt Alphadog VMODDED 2gb GSKILL DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 DVD-RW Drive windows 7 32 Bit Benq G2220HD 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard SilverStone Decathlon DA650 Bench/Test/OC Platform Creative Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 P5K XFX 8800gt Alphadog VMODDED 2gb GSKILL DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 DVD-RW Drive windows 7 32 Bit Benq G2220HD 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard SilverStone Decathlon DA650 Bench/Test/OC Platform Creative Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #646 of 1336
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG8z View Post
thanks, explains a lot, so if i flash the bios to 1.1v stock, it will raise the OCP trigger level?
It all depends on the PWM and how the OCP is defined/programmed and the number of phases etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG8z View Post
So it triggers when one leg of the IC is higher than specified? Well, what would happen, if you cut the leg if the ic that it monitors?
Possibly with some card's definitions of the OCP but most likely with most OCP mods this would create a circumstance where voltage x> is greater than voltage>y and if one is 0, specifically y you have a useless card

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG8z View Post

eg: its rule might be "if pin x is higher than value y, then trigger ocp"
then couldnt you cut pin/leg x of the ic so it is getting 0.0v into it? because 0.0v is not higher than the specified value(1.4v or whatever
)

edit: and for the ocp mod, my card seems pretty referance, heres pics, they may or may not help, they were showcasing my mod :-):
http://www.overclock.net/8049779-post193.html
Like I said it might work but that magic number 0 could potentially screw something up, the PWM might read it as an error.. and not boot, the idea with the OCP is to play with the voltages and resistances IMO, thanks for the +rep I'll check that card out real quick and repost
post #647 of 1336
Thread Starter 
same setup as with your card (reference), it worked for me I believe, I benched over 1.5v, it'll get toasty



solder 1.2k resistors parallel over these two SMRs, the card is dual phase, so those must be the two outputs it compares against... unfortunately that datasheet isnt public to completely understand it
post #648 of 1336
thanks heaps, ill see how it goes without the ocp mod first, looks delicate :-P
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 P5K XFX 8800gt Alphadog VMODDED 2gb GSKILL DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 DVD-RW Drive windows 7 32 Bit Benq G2220HD 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard SilverStone Decathlon DA650 Bench/Test/OC Platform Creative Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 P5K XFX 8800gt Alphadog VMODDED 2gb GSKILL DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 DVD-RW Drive windows 7 32 Bit Benq G2220HD 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard SilverStone Decathlon DA650 Bench/Test/OC Platform Creative Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #649 of 1336
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG8z View Post
thanks heaps, ill see how it goes without the ocp mod first, looks delicate :-P
trust me it gets easier each time, practice on some dead PCB first to get the hang of it
post #650 of 1336
Decided to add the OVP mod to the Commando to play with a few new chips and see if I can get a little more oomph to get the Celly 352 up to 8 Ghz. I could always dial in over 2v but couldn't get any higher clocks over 1.85v.

I got the mod from this thread over at XS.

I'm not sure the P5B deluxe/commando OVP mod in the first post in that thread ever worked - I don't think it did.

Here's the mod I just did:







I'll let you know results when I test it.
24/7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 5.0 ghz 1.4v Gigabyte UD4 GTX 580 Lightning Ripjaws 2133Mhz 7-10-10-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Kingston 128 SSD Win7 64 Samsung 245T HX1000 
Case
Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
24/7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 5.0 ghz 1.4v Gigabyte UD4 GTX 580 Lightning Ripjaws 2133Mhz 7-10-10-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Kingston 128 SSD Win7 64 Samsung 245T HX1000 
Case
Lian Li 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Volt Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Volt Mods › General Volt Mods › The OCN Volt Mod Squad | HWbot's Finest | The Official Club