Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Official] Corsair Hydro Series Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Corsair Hydro Series Club - Page 310

post #3091 of 28354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but if you're going this far why not purchase a custom WC kit or cherry pick every part?
Or do you already own the H50 and are seeing how far you can take things with the same pump?

Cheers
Because in the same spirit of Overclocking, we want to see just how much performance we can get out our modest H50's
800:D
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 @ 4GHz Gigabyte X58-USB3 2x GTX480 8GB A-DATA DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB SSD + 2x 1TB WD Blacks Snow Leopard / Win7 / XP 24" Viewsonic LCD Mushkin 650 
Case
Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
800:D
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 @ 4GHz Gigabyte X58-USB3 2x GTX480 8GB A-DATA DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB SSD + 2x 1TB WD Blacks Snow Leopard / Win7 / XP 24" Viewsonic LCD Mushkin 650 
Case
Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3092 of 28354
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbalest View Post
Because in the same spirit of Overclocking, we want to see just how much performance we can get out our modest H50's
Fair-enough, but depending how far you go, for all intents & purposes you may as well be building a custom kit.
I mean where does one draw the line; keep using the same pump but change everything else?
post #3093 of 28354
I decided to upgrade to an Antec 902 gaming case for improved airflow. I'm going to mount the radiator for my H50 on the roof, sucking the air I pull into my case out the top. My question is, will I have to apply more thermal paste when I re-seat my H50's CPU block?
post #3094 of 28354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Fair-enough, but depending how far you go, for all intents & purposes you may as well be building a custom kit.
I mean where does one draw the line; keep using the same pump but change everything else?
Eh.. depends on how you look at it. I don't view it as a high-end WC replacement. I actually only spent a grand total of $80 (including H50) on my mod, and it turned out pretty nice

So I think for $80, I got away with a very nice cooling setup, that is very very quiet, and is very decent at cooling.
800:D
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 @ 4GHz Gigabyte X58-USB3 2x GTX480 8GB A-DATA DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB SSD + 2x 1TB WD Blacks Snow Leopard / Win7 / XP 24" Viewsonic LCD Mushkin 650 
Case
Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
800:D
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 950 @ 4GHz Gigabyte X58-USB3 2x GTX480 8GB A-DATA DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB SSD + 2x 1TB WD Blacks Snow Leopard / Win7 / XP 24" Viewsonic LCD Mushkin 650 
Case
Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3095 of 28354
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbalest View Post
Because in the same spirit of Overclocking, we want to see just how much performance we can get out our modest H50's
Absolutely. It's fun. And this thread is a big part of that, too, we should all thank Killhouse (I always want to say, "KillMouse", but that's wrong, I know...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Fair-enough, but depending how far you go, for all intents & purposes you may as well be building a custom kit.
I mean where does one draw the line; keep using the same pump but change everything else?
You're right, too. Playing around with the H50 is how I "dipped my toes into the coolant" coming from cooling strictly with air before. But yeah, I think the logical next upgrade would be replacing the unit for a full custom loop, and I'll have the confidence and some limited experience to do so. You have me wondering, actually, if I shouldn't just sell the unit as it is now, in its stock state, rather than muck it up where someone wouldn't want to buy it.

Though I wonder if anyone has tried adding a secondary pump to the loop, which would make up'g the rad more feasible. . .
post #3096 of 28354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killhouse View Post
Much better, I think you'll agree. You can just about see the H50 in the background so it's still on topic. I've got some nice fresh air onto my new H50 fan now, temps dropped a bit

Hey killhouse check out these Black acrylic fan grills.
post #3097 of 28354
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclometric View Post
You're right, too. Playing around with the H50 is how I "dipped my toes into the coolant" coming from cooling strictly with air before. But yeah, I think the logical next upgrade would be replacing the unit for a full custom loop, and I'll have the confidence and some limited experience to do so. You have me wondering, actually, if I shouldn't just sell the unit as it is now, in its stock state, rather than muck it up where someone wouldn't want to buy it.

Though I wonder if anyone has tried adding a secondary pump to the loop, which would make up'g the rad more feasible. . .
Don't get me wrong...

It's cool to see blokes getting much more out something that was once limited.
It's just that you get to a point where you are basically building an entire custom loop.
So why not start out that way from the beginning?

Of course it makes sense if you already have the H50 to tweak it heavily.
But once you consider replacing pretty much everything and adding extra things.
Then -as you say- you may as well sell it and cherry pick the best WC parts!

Of course where's the modding spirit in that, I guess I'm just a killjoy?!
Edited by jalyst - 2/3/10 at 12:16am
post #3098 of 28354
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbalest View Post
Eh.. depends on how you look at it. I don't view it as a high-end WC replacement. I actually only spent a grand total of $80 (including H50) on my mod, and it turned out pretty nice

So I think for $80, I got away with a very nice cooling setup, that is very very quiet, and is very decent at cooling.
Oh entirely,
I'm referring to those thinking of building a top-end custom loop out of infrastructure that was a H50.

Of course, they're well within their right to do that just for fun!

I'll only a do a few modest changes like you...
I won't expect it to be a substitute for some of the best DIY WC jobs.
Edited by jalyst - 2/3/10 at 12:41am
post #3099 of 28354
Then you have people that dont feel comfortable building a loop right out of the gate. SO they get the H50 and get a little wet. Then lets say they Mod it. Then when they go full loop they already have some basic knowledge and maybe even a few parts to get them started. .
post #3100 of 28354
Makes total sense; "gateway drug" for WC!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Official] Corsair Hydro Series Club