Overclock.net banner

Overclocking Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 on Asus P5Q-E

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Nfsdude0125 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Just wondering about something. Ive got the Asus P5Q-E motherboard, and a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU.
Ive got some problems overclocking it, whenever I try to overclock it more than 3.16GHz, my screen is black when I save the settings and restart the PC.
Ive got a good cooler, Zalman CNPS9300AT, so the heat isn't the problem. Always below 40 degrees Celsius.
I tried to overclock it a bit more, but I dont know all the other settings than the FSB Frequency, DRAM Frequency and the CPU Ratio Setting.
Can anyone help me out? Would have been great to successfully overclock it to at least 3.6GHz
Tried to overclock it to 4GHz, but as I said earlier, I get a black screen. When I restart the PC it starts up normally, but shows a "Overclock failed" message and I have to go back into the BIOS and reset to 3.16GHz -.-
Help me out guys?

- Thanks in advance,
Martin

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by syntex123 View Post
Hey guys,
Just wondering about something. Ive got the Asus P5Q-E motherboard, and a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU.
Ive got some problems overclocking it, whenever I try to overclock it more than 3.16GHz, my screen is black when I save the settings and restart the PC.
Ive got a good cooler, Zalman CNPS9300AT, so the heat isn't the problem. Always below 40 degrees Celsius.
I tried to overclock it a bit more, but I dont know all the other settings than the FSB Frequency, DRAM Frequency and the CPU Ratio Setting.
Can anyone help me out? Would have been great to successfully overclock it to at least 3.6GHz
Tried to overclock it to 4GHz, but as I said earlier, I get a black screen. When I restart the PC it starts up normally, but shows a "Overclock failed" message and I have to go back into the BIOS and reset to 3.16GHz -.-
Help me out guys?

- Thanks in advance,
Martin

Hello Martin. What kind of voltage did you use?

#4 ·
hi there
im having the same problem at the moment i running a Q6600 with a asus maximus extreme got it to 4.02Ghz boots up then i get a blue screen when windows start up but it not stay there long enought to read the issue im guessing its a memory issue (ocs reaper 1066ddr3) she runs fine allday long at 3.51GHz?

any advice would be lovely
thx

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by korban View Post
hi there
im having the same problem at the moment i running a Q6600 with a asus maximus extreme got it to 4.02Ghz boots up then i get a blue screen when windows start up but it not stay there long enought to read the issue im guessing its a memory issue (ocs reaper 1066ddr3) she runs fine allday long at 3.51GHz?

any advice would be lovely
thx
Its pretty rare to see a Q6600 running at 4ghz 24/7 so it might just be the limits of the chip.

Also don't thread hijack, make a new thread if you have any questions.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Did you read the whole thread? It tells you how to slowly bump up the FSB and test for stability in between. If it fails stability testing you up the voltage of the CPU ( max being 1.5vcore). You just rinse and repeat until you find your max overclock.

Each pc is different so for the most part you wont find settings that will work perfectly for you, its more trial and error than anything.

#10 ·
Hi guys,
Be sure to join my blog, "Core 2 Quad Q6600 owners club" for discussion on the CPU, overclocking it, and what would rival it. Hope to see many members!

From Nfsdude0125.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.