Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Intel and ATI butt buddys?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel and ATI butt buddys?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I was just at my local computer shop, and the guy there said that if you have a Intel chip, an ATI card would work better with it then an nVidia card. I also remember hereing on this forum that Intel and ATI were, as someone put it, "butt buddys". Is it true that Intel stuff works better with ATI cards, and that ATI cards work better on a Intel platform?
post #2 of 18
No. It would be suicide for either company to do something like that.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
I was just at my local computer shop, and the guy there said that if you have a Intel chip, an ATI card would work better with it then an nVidia card. I also remember hereing on this forum that Intel and ATI were, as someone put it, "butt buddys". Is it true that Intel stuff works better with ATI cards, and that ATI cards work better on a Intel platform?
This rumor started because of the fact that Intel runs at a higher operating frequency and Ati, in general, does also. Their thinking was that the higher speeds of the Intel would match better with the higher clocked Ati cards,but this isn't true. Clock speeds mean nothing really, it's all about productivity. Clock speeds are like Rpms in a car...they don't tell you much.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
He claims that he heard it directly from Intel...

He also claims that they dont stock ASUS motherboards because they arnt stable...
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
He claims that he heard it directly from Intel...

He also claims that they dont stock ASUS motherboards because they arnt stable...
He's bs'ing you dude.

As sccr64472 suggested, aside from vague architectural similarities, for Intel it makes no sense for them to get cozy with ATi, what would they have to gain? The graphics market is not dominated by any one player and favoring one over the competition doesn't make much sense.

As for the Asus comment, what do you think? How have your experiences been wtih Asus and are there any major problems reported online? That dude is full of it, don't believe a word he says.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
He claims that he heard it directly from Intel...

He also claims that they dont stock ASUS motherboards because they arnt stable...
Lol...and I know a guy on the internet that says he nailed Queen Elizabeth Think logically, even if it were true (which it's not), do you think any representative from Intel would have the guts to mention it publically to anyone? He'd lose his job over it for fear of lost revenue from Nvidia supporters and partnerships.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 18
How many of those people have you found right?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-57 lapped DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI DR 2x7800GT OC 2x512 PNY DDR600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
4x36gb Raptors raid-0 2000 pro HP P1100 20 inch Micro wireless 
PowerCaseMouse
Antic 550 True Control TT Armor Ge optical 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-57 lapped DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI DR 2x7800GT OC 2x512 PNY DDR600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
4x36gb Raptors raid-0 2000 pro HP P1100 20 inch Micro wireless 
PowerCaseMouse
Antic 550 True Control TT Armor Ge optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
The only reason I asked was because I thought I had read something on here like that. I agree that the ASUS line is bull, lol. I think it is because the have contracts with ATI and Intel, and they know that AMD and nVidia are better a lot of the time, so they make up reasons to buy what they are selling, lol.

When he told me that I said that there are benchmarks that dont agree with him and he mumbled something about drives and tweeks, lol.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
He claims that he heard it directly from Intel...

He also claims that they dont stock ASUS motherboards because they arnt stable...
I have ocean front property in Arizona for sale too

Yeah man, don't listen to them. Thats ignorant, and like newbie said, that would be business suicide.
 
Work Lappy
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 960 P6T NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G.Skill DDR3 G.Skill DDR3 G.Skill DDR3 OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Backup Lite-On DVD Corsair H80 Windows 7 Pro 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 v2 OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Antec 300 Logitech g5 
Mouse PadAudio
Ratpad Razer Barracuda AC-1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 0JGC48 Intel(R) HD Graphics Family Micron Technology  
  hide details  
Reply
 
Work Lappy
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 960 P6T NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G.Skill DDR3 G.Skill DDR3 G.Skill DDR3 OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Backup Lite-On DVD Corsair H80 Windows 7 Pro 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 v2 OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Antec 300 Logitech g5 
Mouse PadAudio
Ratpad Razer Barracuda AC-1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 0JGC48 Intel(R) HD Graphics Family Micron Technology  
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
The only reason I asked was because I thought I had read something on here like that. I agree that the ASUS line is bull, lol. I think it is because the have contracts with ATI and Intel, and they know that AMD and nVidia are better a lot of the time, so they make up reasons to buy what they are selling, lol.

When he told me that I said that there are benchmarks that dont agree with him and he mumbled something about drives and tweeks, lol.
You're not supposed to be an informed customer you jerk. You're supposed to bow down to his $10/hour 1 hour training expertise! Learn the rules! For future reference, employees of computer stores and Best Buy are computer Gods and you should never question them. If they tell you that buying a new keyboard will make your computer faster, it's because they're right and you're wrong. Accept it!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Intel and ATI butt buddys?