Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › *Official* ATi Radeon HD 59xx Series Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* ATi Radeon HD 59xx Series Owners Club - Page 7

post #61 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by navit View Post
Hi all, its day 2 of my new 5970 and I was less than impressed last night.The first thing I did was oc this baby, for s***s and giggles I used ccc to do this on stock voltage and hit 845/1070.I was like very cool. Temps got no higher than 70c and all was well.Tested the clocks, passed just fine.Next I jumped on cod4 and I must say everything does seem to move a good bit faster (over my 4890), running, shooting, response time, all that stuff.Once again temps never got past low 70's.Now I was thinking it was time to bench this beast and I downloaded the heaven bench. I ran it on dx11 aa x8 anti x16 1920x1080p everthing else maxed and I must say it was sweet looking.
Now here is where things went south. I wanted to compare dx11 to dx10 so I ran the test again, same settings as before but dx10. Everthing was running fine till stage 21 of 23, bam artifacts bad ,checked my temps, 71c, so I dropped my clocks back to 800/1050 and jumped on cod waw. As soon as got in to 3d mode artifacts all over my screen , went to cod4, same thing .
By this time iam :swearing:, so I dropped the clocks back to default, rebooted and everthing was back to normal, or so I thought.

First i jumped back on cod4, the first thing i noticed was a little flicker when I was running, no other time, then my fps were lower than before all this happened. Next I jumped on waw and got into a zombie brawl (really love those) and had the worst fps I have ever had in that game. I play this often and never saw it go below 70 fps at anytime with the 4890. Last night they hit a all time low 40-50, that is will not do, it was also getting a little laggy when it dropped that low. Now granted it still had places where I was hitting 150 it should never get into the 40's with this card and never did with the 4890.
Once again the temps were never a issue.Side note, I am really surprised at how well this card cools. When I turned it on when I got home it was reading 29c and I was like HELL YEA, my 4890 never got below 38c at anytime including startup.
Back to the problems of the night. My first thought was DRIVERS, and I also read that the sapphire really dont like higher clock without more volts, I will try tonight.
I would like to hear from the 5970 owners here on OCN to hear what they have to say on this matter. This was the first time I ever had a card artifact and i did not like it to say the least. I really dont want to rma this thing so soon.
Tonight I will reload the drivers that came with the card, unless there is a better one till 9.12 comes out, and see if that resolves some issues, if so it will be time to put some volts to it and take the clocks back up.

Please let me know your thoughts on this matter.
Thanks for reading.

I am a proud owner as well, my first struggle was that there was no fan control when the card arrived. That was alleviated quickly from an updated bios from Sapphire that another member posted on here. I have been using driver 8.663.1_Beta5_Hemlock_VistaWin7_Nov11. The highest temps I have seen from it were 68 C with the fan running at 55%, GPU fully loaded so I am quite happy with that for air cooling. The fan does have the apparent standard rattle but it is not noticeable with my side panel on. I have not noticed ANY artifacts yet at 900/1200. I am using the ATI overvolt tool and CCC for overclocking. I have MSI afterburner as well so when I get brave enough I am going to try upping the voltage and kick things up a notch.

3DMVantage: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1633604

3DM06: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=12585217

Call Of Pripyat benchmark: [IMG]http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/2569293/220/2569293.png

Heaven-Default settings: [IMG]http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/2568919/220/2568919.png

Sapphire Bios: http://www.overclock.net/ati/614095-...ntrol-fix.html

Fan Rattle: http://www.overclock.net/ati/617337-...an-rattle.html

Driver I am using: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...n-hd-5970.aspx
Edited by Clox - 12/3/09 at 9:21am
Ж Prometheus Ж
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K ROG Maximus IX Hero  EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE G.Skill TridentZ RGB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung M2 960 Pro 512, Samsung 840 Pro, 4GB WD... Windows 10 Pro Acer XB271HU Vengeance K95 RGB-MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic SS1000XP Obsidian 800D modified Razer Deathadder Chroma Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
Ж Prometheus Ж
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7700K ROG Maximus IX Hero  EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE G.Skill TridentZ RGB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung M2 960 Pro 512, Samsung 840 Pro, 4GB WD... Windows 10 Pro Acer XB271HU Vengeance K95 RGB-MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic SS1000XP Obsidian 800D modified Razer Deathadder Chroma Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 1648
Thread Starter 
[QUOTE=dopey;7804755]What I'm saying is you said it passed fine, but if it only passed CCC that isn't worth jack. Then you ran a real bench and discovered your OC to be unstable, hence the artifacts. You could have bumped the voltage to solve the problem, since reverting to stock fixed it.

Still can't explain your low framerate, maybe other crap using your your HDD at the time? Try again mang.

i know ccc sucks, i have afterburner too, use it to set fan profiles based on temps, love that feature.
will reload drivers tonight and try this fun again.
the flicker in cod4 may or may not be anything, like i said it happens when i was running not any other time, wasnt bad that almost like a real quick pause

i had afterburner running durning the waw issue with the low framerates, any connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clox View Post
I am a proud owner as well, my first struggle was that there was no fan control when the card arrived. That was alleviated quickly from an updated bios from Sapphire that another member posted on here. I have been using driver 8.663.1_Beta5_Hemlock_VistaWin7_Nov11. The highest temps I have seen from it were 68 C with the fan running at 55%, GPU fully loaded so I am quite happy with that for air cooling. The fan does have the apparent standard rattle but it is not noticeable with my side panel on. I have not noticed ANY artifacts yet at 900/1200. I am using the ATI overvolt tool and CCC for overclocking. I have MSI afterburner as well so when I get brave enough I am going to try upping the voltage and kick things up a notch.

3DMVantage: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1633604

3DM06: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=12585217

Call Of Pripyat benchmark: [IMG]http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/2569293/220/2569293.png

Heaven-Default settings: [IMG]http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/2568919/220/2568919.png

Sapphire Bios: http://www.overclock.net/ati/614095-...ntrol-fix.html

Fan Rattle: http://www.overclock.net/ati/617337-...an-rattle.html

Driver I am using: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...n-hd-5970.aspx
i really had high hopes for this card too, its just a little buggy on my system atm, really dont want to rma, but if i have to my next choice is the 5870 vapor-x
Edited by navit - 12/3/09 at 9:20am
Nav's Intel
(14 items)
 
Nav Platform
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T BE @ 4.0 GHz/1.39v} Asus Crosshair IV Formula MSI 7870 Twin Frozer III Crossfire 16gb Gskill Ripjaws X-1600{9-9-9-24} 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Black/750GB Black Windows 7 64bit Pro ASUS 23.6/1920X1080 Razer 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic x750gold Lian Li Lancool PC-K63 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
Nav's Intel
(14 items)
 
Nav Platform
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T BE @ 4.0 GHz/1.39v} Asus Crosshair IV Formula MSI 7870 Twin Frozer III Crossfire 16gb Gskill Ripjaws X-1600{9-9-9-24} 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Black/750GB Black Windows 7 64bit Pro ASUS 23.6/1920X1080 Razer 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic x750gold Lian Li Lancool PC-K63 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by navit View Post
i had afterburner running durning the waw issue with the low framerates, any connection?
AB won't interfere with FPS, but other stuff running in the background definitely can, like indexing for example.

Edit: Clox, what's so good about SZ2L?
NubIII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.17ghz@1.31v (21x199) Evga 758-A1 Sapphire 5970 950/1250 1.174v 6gb OCZ Platinum 1600 CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25 G2 80GB + WD Black 640GB Asus DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 HP 64 Asus VW266H (25.5") 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec TPQ 1000w Antec 902 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
NubIII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.17ghz@1.31v (21x199) Evga 758-A1 Sapphire 5970 950/1250 1.174v 6gb OCZ Platinum 1600 CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25 G2 80GB + WD Black 640GB Asus DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 HP 64 Asus VW266H (25.5") 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec TPQ 1000w Antec 902 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 1648
Thread Starter 
didnt think it would just ruling things out
Nav's Intel
(14 items)
 
Nav Platform
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T BE @ 4.0 GHz/1.39v} Asus Crosshair IV Formula MSI 7870 Twin Frozer III Crossfire 16gb Gskill Ripjaws X-1600{9-9-9-24} 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Black/750GB Black Windows 7 64bit Pro ASUS 23.6/1920X1080 Razer 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic x750gold Lian Li Lancool PC-K63 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
Nav's Intel
(14 items)
 
Nav Platform
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T BE @ 4.0 GHz/1.39v} Asus Crosshair IV Formula MSI 7870 Twin Frozer III Crossfire 16gb Gskill Ripjaws X-1600{9-9-9-24} 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 1TB Black/750GB Black Windows 7 64bit Pro ASUS 23.6/1920X1080 Razer 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic x750gold Lian Li Lancool PC-K63 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 1648
well........ i just found out ''Sapphire'' cards only carry 2 years warranty , thats crap!! on a £500 card

this card will be good for a long while to come especially if i go CFX with another 5 series card adding even more years of use...... yet if my GPU dies in 24 months i might as well chuck it out the window.

ive got 2 days till my card ships, im really thinking of cancelling the order & going XFX with ''double lifetime warranty''.
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 @ 3.6ghz Asus P5K PREMIUM Sapphire HD5970 + GTX260 physX 8GB BUFFALO FIRESTIX 8500 = 1150mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
seagate 160gb ide 160gb seagate sata dvdrom sata x64 W.7600 RTM 20" 1680x1050 & 23'' 2048x1 
PowerCaseMouse
XCILIO 850W coolermaster CM590 logitech NX80 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 @ 3.6ghz Asus P5K PREMIUM Sapphire HD5970 + GTX260 physX 8GB BUFFALO FIRESTIX 8500 = 1150mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
seagate 160gb ide 160gb seagate sata dvdrom sata x64 W.7600 RTM 20" 1680x1050 & 23'' 2048x1 
PowerCaseMouse
XCILIO 850W coolermaster CM590 logitech NX80 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunksmash View Post
well........ i just found out ''Sapphire'' cards only carry 2 years warranty , thats crap!! on a £500 card

this card will be good for a long while to come especially if i go CFX with another 5 series card adding even more years of use...... yet if my GPU dies in 24 months i might as well chuck it out the window.

ive got 2 days till my card ships, im really thinking of cancelling the order & going XFX with ''double lifetime warranty''.
2 years is probably enough but the XFX adds a bit of resale value with the double lifetime warranty so thats something to think about
First AMD build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 *waiting for Phenom II X6* MSI 785GM-E65 4850 *waiting on MSI Cyclone 5850* 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333Mhz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25M 80GB/WD Caviar Blue 640GB/Green 1.5TB LG BDRW/Lite-On DVDRW Win 7 Pro 64-bit Dell S2309 1080P 
PowerCase
Corsair 650TX Lian-Li PC7-FNWX 
  hide details  
Reply
First AMD build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 *waiting for Phenom II X6* MSI 785GM-E65 4850 *waiting on MSI Cyclone 5850* 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333Mhz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25M 80GB/WD Caviar Blue 640GB/Green 1.5TB LG BDRW/Lite-On DVDRW Win 7 Pro 64-bit Dell S2309 1080P 
PowerCase
Corsair 650TX Lian-Li PC7-FNWX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunksmash View Post
well........ i just found out ''Sapphire'' cards only carry 2 years warranty , thats crap!! on a £500 card

this card will be good for a long while to come especially if i go CFX with another 5 series card adding even more years of use...... yet if my GPU dies in 24 months i might as well chuck it out the window.

ive got 2 days till my card ships, im really thinking of cancelling the order & going XFX with ''double lifetime warranty''.
I don't trust XFX any more after that 4890 business, and the decline of their Motherboard QC. I have yet to keep a card longer than 2 years, and would rather have one that wasn't constantly on RMA holiday. Downtime sucks, and shipping costs money. Also, hardware issues generally happen very early in the product's life.

Sapphire has been making ONLY ATI cards since the beginning of time, they are apparently solid, and though this is my first card from them I have to agree. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, or you can just wait for an XFX backorder if you're nervous.

Edit: reassuring you has become a full time job lulz
Edited by dopey - 12/3/09 at 2:07pm
NubIII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.17ghz@1.31v (21x199) Evga 758-A1 Sapphire 5970 950/1250 1.174v 6gb OCZ Platinum 1600 CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25 G2 80GB + WD Black 640GB Asus DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 HP 64 Asus VW266H (25.5") 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec TPQ 1000w Antec 902 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
NubIII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.17ghz@1.31v (21x199) Evga 758-A1 Sapphire 5970 950/1250 1.174v 6gb OCZ Platinum 1600 CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25 G2 80GB + WD Black 640GB Asus DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 HP 64 Asus VW266H (25.5") 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec TPQ 1000w Antec 902 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
I don't trust XFX any more after that 4890 business, and the decline of their Motherboard QC. I have yet to keep a card longer than 2 years, and would rather have one that wasn't constantly on RMA holiday. Downtime sucks, and shipping costs money. Also, hardware issues generally happen very early in the product's life.

Sapphire has been making ONLY ATI cards since the beginning of time, they are apparently solid, and though this is my first card from them I have to agree. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, or you can just wait for an XFX backorder if you're nervous.

Edit: reassuring you has become a full time job lulz
lol....... i know, insecurities



it would mean dropping back to the bottom of the ''pre-order'' pile, XFX models here are non existent.

ive never had a GPU longer than 2 years myself, i just worry the switch to ATI is daunting me.


sod it...... i'll keep my Sapphire beast
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 @ 3.6ghz Asus P5K PREMIUM Sapphire HD5970 + GTX260 physX 8GB BUFFALO FIRESTIX 8500 = 1150mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
seagate 160gb ide 160gb seagate sata dvdrom sata x64 W.7600 RTM 20" 1680x1050 & 23'' 2048x1 
PowerCaseMouse
XCILIO 850W coolermaster CM590 logitech NX80 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 @ 3.6ghz Asus P5K PREMIUM Sapphire HD5970 + GTX260 physX 8GB BUFFALO FIRESTIX 8500 = 1150mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
seagate 160gb ide 160gb seagate sata dvdrom sata x64 W.7600 RTM 20" 1680x1050 & 23'' 2048x1 
PowerCaseMouse
XCILIO 850W coolermaster CM590 logitech NX80 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 1648
What drivers are you guys using and is anyone having any problems with playing call of duty modern warfare 2. When I play my computer will freeze every now and then. And I will have to reboot and then re load COD Mw2, which kind of sucks. Now I think it is mostly drivers. I can run Furmark on the card with stock clocks and be fine for about 45 minutes, cod mw2 dont stress the 5970 anywhere close to furmark, so then I up clocks and am playing at something like 825/1175, and I run Furmark for abouit 30 minutes without a hitch, but in cod mw2 I get killed with a nade of noob tube and the damn thing freezes. I have the 8.6631 Beta 5 Hemlock 11-11-09 drivers.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 4.2 EVAG Classified 3x SLI ATI Diamond 5970 Kingston HyperX DDR3 2000mhz @ 8-9-8-21 1T 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Patroit Torqx 128GBSSD 2-Samsung F1's 1tb 72k 32mb Windows 7 Pro Acer 22" H213H 1080p Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W Thermaltake Armor+ Logitech g9 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 4.2 EVAG Classified 3x SLI ATI Diamond 5970 Kingston HyperX DDR3 2000mhz @ 8-9-8-21 1T 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Patroit Torqx 128GBSSD 2-Samsung F1's 1tb 72k 32mb Windows 7 Pro Acer 22" H213H 1080p Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W Thermaltake Armor+ Logitech g9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake011 View Post
What drivers are you guys using and is anyone having any problems with playing call of duty modern warfare 2. When I play my computer will freeze every now and then. And I will have to reboot and then re load COD Mw2, which kind of sucks. Now I think it is mostly drivers. I can run Furmark on the card with stock clocks and be fine for about 45 minutes, cod mw2 dont stress the 5970 anywhere close to furmark, so then I up clocks and am playing at something like 825/1175, and I run Furmark for abouit 30 minutes without a hitch, but in cod mw2 I get killed with a nade of noob tube and the damn thing freezes. I have the 8.6631 Beta 5 Hemlock 11-11-09 drivers.
Have you tried it with stock CPU clocks? I use the same driver, no issue. 30min Furmark 19x12 8x msaa 850/1200. mw2 plays fine. I find that high cpu OC is worse than useless for gaming. 3ghz is usually plenty, anything lower will bottleneck your gpu.
NubIII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.17ghz@1.31v (21x199) Evga 758-A1 Sapphire 5970 950/1250 1.174v 6gb OCZ Platinum 1600 CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25 G2 80GB + WD Black 640GB Asus DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 HP 64 Asus VW266H (25.5") 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec TPQ 1000w Antec 902 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
NubIII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 4.17ghz@1.31v (21x199) Evga 758-A1 Sapphire 5970 950/1250 1.174v 6gb OCZ Platinum 1600 CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X25 G2 80GB + WD Black 640GB Asus DRW-24B1ST Windows 7 HP 64 Asus VW266H (25.5") 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Antec TPQ 1000w Antec 902 G9 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › *Official* ATi Radeon HD 59xx Series Owners Club