Originally Posted by Moparman
This sounds like a good experiment to try. Also have you checked how much it costs for a good amount of mercury?
Also has anyone here played with mercury? Its not as dangerous as you think. we use it in my field of work all the time. Just dont get it in a cut. Also LOL try to wipe it with a towel.
Uh, for anyone reading this, please do not play with mercury outside of a fume hood and without thick gloving that is mercury impermeable. The toxicity can take weeks to months to fully develop and liquid mercury evaporates readily at room temperature, and the vapor will absorb through your skin, though in smaller amounts.
It's just really not a good idea... If any of the mercury were to leak around the fixtures, vapor would be emitted and you could develop mercury poisoning over a few weeks or months and have no idea it's even happening.Edited by test tube - 12/16/09 at 1:56pm