Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/EVO Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/EVO Club - Page 230

post #2291 of 6633
I found this:http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...-B10-212P-G1-R $15 bucks b4 shipping...Not too bad. I might have to grab one for a spare HS
My Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3540 @ 4.508GHZ 1.425v MSI X-Power Sapphire HD 6970 @1Ghz core/1.45Ghz Mem 6GB Crutial Ballistix @1.96Ghz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 Samsung Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Samsung 19" 
PowerCaseMouse
Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000w Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Gigabyte GM-M6880 
  hide details  
Reply
My Machine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon W3540 @ 4.508GHZ 1.425v MSI X-Power Sapphire HD 6970 @1Ghz core/1.45Ghz Mem 6GB Crutial Ballistix @1.96Ghz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 Samsung Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Samsung 19" 
PowerCaseMouse
Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000w Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Gigabyte GM-M6880 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2292 of 6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-a-Mort View Post
Ok, maybe someone here can give me some advice on temps and the cooler...

I picked up a Hyper 212+ for my SB build, but not sure whether it is sufficient for my needs now. At stock with a i5-2500k (so default 3.3ghz) it sees temps of 30c idle but 56c under load in Prime95 or IBT. Whilst admittedly my room is usually around 27-30c, the case has 2 front intake fans, a side intake, and two exhaust fans at the back and top back, so this seems hot to me.

Overclocked to a measly 4.2ghz it was getting up to 65c under load. Again seems pretty hot to me that. It could be the airflow in the Fractal Design R3 case isn't ideal (front fans hit wall of HDD enclosures and I can't use the bottom fan space due to the stupidly short and therefore messy XFX PSU cabling) but do those temps suggest that either the ambient room temp is a problem, or that the heatsink needs reseating? Sadly I was daft enough to use Arctic Silver for the TIM not the stuff supplied with the cooler that I read here was actually better, so maybe it is the weak link?
Edit-------
Hmmm actually wondering whether the board on auto OC settings (as per the Hardforum guide by an Asus tech) is making the vcore far higher than needed. Wonder if that might up the temps a bit.
If you can clean things up inside the case, it will improve the airflow of the fans thus increasing their effectiveness of moving the heat out of the case. People all over this board will tell you that auto settings aren't recommended. Search around for a good vcore for the SB i5-2500k.

If the auto settings are giving you a high vcore than you actually need and you lower it, you will get a lower core temp. Also, consider adding another fan to the 212 + to run a push/pull configuration. That will further help with heat dissipation. I'm new to all of this as well, but this is what I understand so far. Hope I offered you some kind of help.
Always upgrading
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 BE 3.8GHz @1.43v Northbridge ... Asus M4A87TD-EVO GeForce BFG GTS 250 1GB GDDR3 OCZ Platinum 2x2GB OCZ3rpr16002gk 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Lite-On DVD reader/burner, 24x DVD+R Cooler Master V6GT  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic 32" 1360x768 LCD Screen Microsoft Keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W Thermaltake Element G Mid-Tower 
MouseMouse Pad
Microsoft Mouse 10 Year Old Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Always upgrading
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 BE 3.8GHz @1.43v Northbridge ... Asus M4A87TD-EVO GeForce BFG GTS 250 1GB GDDR3 OCZ Platinum 2x2GB OCZ3rpr16002gk 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Lite-On DVD reader/burner, 24x DVD+R Cooler Master V6GT  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic 32" 1360x768 LCD Screen Microsoft Keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W Thermaltake Element G Mid-Tower 
MouseMouse Pad
Microsoft Mouse 10 Year Old Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2293 of 6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-a-Mort View Post
Ok, maybe someone here can give me some advice on temps and the cooler...

I picked up a Hyper 212+ for my SB build, but not sure whether it is sufficient for my needs now. At stock with a i5-2500k (so default 3.3ghz) it sees temps of 30c idle but 56c under load in Prime95 or IBT. Whilst admittedly my room is usually around 27-30c, the case has 2 front intake fans, a side intake, and two exhaust fans at the back and top back, so this seems hot to me.

Overclocked to a measly 4.2ghz it was getting up to 65c under load. Again seems pretty hot to me that. It could be the airflow in the Fractal Design R3 case isn't ideal (front fans hit wall of HDD enclosures and I can't use the bottom fan space due to the stupidly short and therefore messy XFX PSU cabling) but do those temps suggest that either the ambient room temp is a problem, or that the heatsink needs reseating? Sadly I was daft enough to use Arctic Silver for the TIM not the stuff supplied with the cooler that I read here was actually better, so maybe it is the weak link?
Edit-------
Hmmm actually wondering whether the board on auto OC settings (as per the Hardforum guide by an Asus tech) is making the vcore far higher than needed. Wonder if that might up the temps a bit.
You aren't going to do much better no matter what you do to the case or the heatsink that will improve temps more than a degree or two from that due to the higher than normal ambient room temps. 30C idle in a 27-30C room is excellent. Please remember that as the ambient room temps increase the hotter air is less efficient at cooling so a 20C rise over ambient at a normal 20-22C (68-72F) room could easily equate to a 30C rise over ambient at 30C (86F) due to the efficiency loss and a case that looks nice, but isn't the most efficient at air cooling. You might want to remove the side panel fan to see if that helps at all. The cpu temps in my Storm Sniper goes up 2C when I have the side panel fan running due to it disrupting the nice front to back airflow pattern it normally has.

As far as I'm concerned unless you can lower the ambient room temps there isn't much you can do without spending a LOT of money for a high end cpu heatsink like a ThermalRight Silver Arrow and a case with better airflow like a CM HAF 932. Even then you would probably only lower load temps by 5C. Bet 65C under load isn't anything to be overly worried about anyway. Thta's well within the acceptable temp range for that cpu.

EDIT: You could try remounting it to make sure that the TIM was applied and spread correctly. And what were you temps with the stock heatsink compared to the 212+? The difference under load should be a good 10C or better.

As far as the price going up, I don't think that CM is raising the price, just the resellers who are raising the price based on the popularity. Newegg's computers are coded to do that on items that are selling well. Plus, with CM about to release a new and improved version of the 212+ (no details on the exact changes or release date) it's possible that CM has already stopped production on the current version and resellers are responding by raising prices on the remaining inventory.
Edited by PapaSmurf - 6/21/11 at 1:11pm
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2294 of 6633
Hyper 212+ Club?! Nice.

Mine:


You will find my 4.5ghz validation in the AMD 4ghz Club link in my sig. LOVE this thang.
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Core i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz HT ON| |ECS Golden Z77H2-AX| |Galaxy GeForce 560GTX 2gb 800/1600mhz| |Mushkin Blackline 2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz CL8| 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
|Kingston SSDNow V+200 120gb KR-S3020-3H| |WD Caviar Green 1.5tb| |WD Caviar Green 1tb| |WD Caviar Green 1tb| 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Green 1tb| |WD Caviar Green 1tb| |ASUS 24x DVD+/-RW SATA| |LG 14x BDRW| 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
|Noctua NH-D14| |Win7Pro-Ubuntu10.04LTS Dualboooooootz| |Insignia 39" 1080p 80hz, 3x Dell 17" 1280x1024| |Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard You Jelly| 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
|Diablotek 775w Non-Modular You Not Jelly| |Cooler Master Elite RC-430| |Microshaft Wireless All-Surface Blu-Laser| |Bakabt.me Linux Command List| 
Audio
|Onboard| 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|Core i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz HT ON| |ECS Golden Z77H2-AX| |Galaxy GeForce 560GTX 2gb 800/1600mhz| |Mushkin Blackline 2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz CL8| 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
|Kingston SSDNow V+200 120gb KR-S3020-3H| |WD Caviar Green 1.5tb| |WD Caviar Green 1tb| |WD Caviar Green 1tb| 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Green 1tb| |WD Caviar Green 1tb| |ASUS 24x DVD+/-RW SATA| |LG 14x BDRW| 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
|Noctua NH-D14| |Win7Pro-Ubuntu10.04LTS Dualboooooootz| |Insignia 39" 1080p 80hz, 3x Dell 17" 1280x1024| |Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard You Jelly| 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
|Diablotek 775w Non-Modular You Not Jelly| |Cooler Master Elite RC-430| |Microshaft Wireless All-Surface Blu-Laser| |Bakabt.me Linux Command List| 
Audio
|Onboard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2295 of 6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismet View Post
If you can clean things up inside the case, it will improve the airflow of the fans thus increasing their effectiveness of moving the heat out of the case. People all over this board will tell you that auto settings aren't recommended. Search around for a good vcore for the SB i5-2500k.

If the auto settings are giving you a high vcore than you actually need and you lower it, you will get a lower core temp. Also, consider adding another fan to the 212 + to run a push/pull configuration. That will further help with heat dissipation. I'm new to all of this as well, but this is what I understand so far. Hope I offered you some kind of help.
Yeah, airflow is likely not the best. I hate the cabling currently. Strikes me that the cables for my XFX 750w Black Edition PSU are somewhere between too short to have them tidily run through the holes in the case behind the mainboard (seriously they won't reach to come back) and too long to avoid annoying lengths of it hanging around. I'll need to make a serious effort at tidying it up. It's one of the reasons I put the side fan in, because the GPU fan has minimal airflow with the cables sat just below it interrupting the cooler, so I'm trying the side fan to throw air at it. Not a lot of room with the Xonar Essence soundcard and 6950 GPU in that FD case. Doesn't help that the ambient air in the room isn't exactly chilly.

Is there much to be gained using a second fan with the cooler? I've read the difference is rarely more than degree or two and more often is just so that the fans run slower and quieter than with one. Anyway, is there anywhere that would detail which 120mm fans will fit on with the Hyper 212+ heatsink, because I noticed that now it comes with little metal wire clips not the previous larger plastic(?) ones. I couldn't attach the Yate Loon fans to it because the clips require holes in the inner frame of the fan, which the blademaster has but the YL's didn't.

Everything I've read suggests the SB chip should manage 4.5ghz at around 1.3v or so. I did look at doing the whole offset voltage thing first of all as seems to be in vogue at Hardforum which was the guide I was using, but didn't get 4.6 or 4.5 stable (no idea if that was cos the offset needed to be higher or lower). Temps were high though anyway at 74c, and the voltage spiked to 1.4v in Aida64, so not liking that much. I'll likely not get a chance to do try anything else, by the time I get home from work. Though I guess could leave it running Prime95 or Aida64 overnight for a longer test.

@Papasmurf
I think I probably didn't quite apply the TIM correctly. Think I put it on the chip mostly not the heatsink, so perhaps that is costing me. I've since read the TIM application guides where it suggests two lines on the heatsink. I know I didn't apply too much though and did spread it properly.

Not much I can do to reduce the air temp other than open the windows wider (call that British air conditioning) or do a rain dance and hope the weather doesn't turn into an Indian Summer here. Much of the heat is due to the display being a LCD TV, which pumps out a ridiculous amount of heat.
The Black Pearl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k Asus P8P67 Pro B3 MSI HD 6950 2GB 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung F3 1xDVD-RW, 1xDVD Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 32" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some old Dell thing XFX Black Edition 750w Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Some old Dell thing 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
The Black Pearl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k Asus P8P67 Pro B3 MSI HD 6950 2GB 2x4GB GSkill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung F3 1xDVD-RW, 1xDVD Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 32" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some old Dell thing XFX Black Edition 750w Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Some old Dell thing 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2296 of 6633
Hey Papa,

Is it possible to order an additional fan clip for the 212? (as opposed to zip tie-ing a second fan)
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2297 of 6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishkathefool View Post
Hey Papa,

Is it possible to order an additional fan clip for the 212? (as opposed to zip tie-ing a second fan)
It comes with an extra, do you not have it anymore?
 
KillTheBananas
(14 items)
 
Minecraft Server
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.9Ghz 1.42v Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev B3 EVGA 3GB GTX 780 FTW 8GB G.Skill Trident DDR3 1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.65v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
40GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2x WD 320GB Raid-0, 1TB WD 2x Lite On LH-20A1S Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Hanns-G 28" | 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Antec HCP-1200 CoolerMaster HAF-X w/ window mod Logitech G9 Gaming Laser 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries 63003SS QCK+ XXL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.6Ghz MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum 2x 9600gt 1GB in SLI 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Blue 250GB 2x LiteOn DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HannsG Hi221D 22" 1680 x 1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS/2 Antec Earthwatts 650w Antec 900 Optical 
Audio
Realtek 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.2Ghz Tyan Tomcat S2866 PNY 8600GT 2x 1Gb, 2x 512MB Mix'n'match 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD don't remember XP x86 19" HannStar 1440x900 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
MiMO 7" USB Monitor PS/2 450W something Antec mid 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Dell hmmm no need 
  hide details  
Reply
 
KillTheBananas
(14 items)
 
Minecraft Server
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.9Ghz 1.42v Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev B3 EVGA 3GB GTX 780 FTW 8GB G.Skill Trident DDR3 1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.65v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
40GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2x WD 320GB Raid-0, 1TB WD 2x Lite On LH-20A1S Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Hanns-G 28" | 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Antec HCP-1200 CoolerMaster HAF-X w/ window mod Logitech G9 Gaming Laser 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries 63003SS QCK+ XXL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.6Ghz MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum 2x 9600gt 1GB in SLI 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Blue 250GB 2x LiteOn DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HannsG Hi221D 22" 1680 x 1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS/2 Antec Earthwatts 650w Antec 900 Optical 
Audio
Realtek 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.2Ghz Tyan Tomcat S2866 PNY 8600GT 2x 1Gb, 2x 512MB Mix'n'match 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB WD don't remember XP x86 19" HannStar 1440x900 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
MiMO 7" USB Monitor PS/2 450W something Antec mid 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Dell hmmm no need 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2298 of 6633
erp... lemme dig around and see if I kept the box >.<

sweet... I did. Thanks for pointing that out, Skyline.

Okay, so, best fan to replace stock fan with? I will order three, two for HS and one to replace my molex blow hole fan.
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2299 of 6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-a-Mort View Post
Yeah, airflow is likely not the best. I hate the cabling currently. Strikes me that the cables for my XFX 750w Black Edition PSU are somewhere between too short to have them tidily run through the holes in the case behind the mainboard (seriously they won't reach to come back) and too long to avoid annoying lengths of it hanging around. I'll need to make a serious effort at tidying it up. It's one of the reasons I put the side fan in, because the GPU fan has minimal airflow with the cables sat just below it interrupting the cooler, so I'm trying the side fan to throw air at it. Not a lot of room with the Xonar Essence soundcard and 6950 GPU in that FD case. Doesn't help that the ambient air in the room isn't exactly chilly.
You might want to look into some extensions to allow you to route the cables behind the mobo tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-a-Mort View Post
Is there much to be gained using a second fan with the cooler? I've read the difference is rarely more than degree or two and more often is just so that the fans run slower and quieter than with one. Anyway, is there anywhere that would detail which 120mm fans will fit on with the Hyper 212+ heatsink, because I noticed that now it comes with little metal wire clips not the previous larger plastic(?) ones. I couldn't attach the Yate Loon fans to it because the clips require holes in the inner frame of the fan, which the blademaster has but the YL's didn't.
You have that backwards. The older ones had the metal clips while the newer ones have the plastic clips. You can still use the metal ones on the Yates by modding the Yates. Use a file, saw, rotary tool, etc. to remove the area of the fan that is boxed in so that it is like the stock BladeMaster that the 212+ came with. I've done that on a lot of fans with boxed in corners like some of the Yates. It doesn't weaken the fan at all if you are careful and don't cut too deep.

And yes it's true that you'll more than likely only see 1 or 2C difference, but in some cases that 1 or 2C can be rather important.


Quote:
Originally Posted by All-a-Mort View Post
Everything I've read suggests the SB chip should manage 4.5ghz at around 1.3v or so. I did look at doing the whole offset voltage thing first of all as seems to be in vogue at Hardforum which was the guide I was using, but didn't get 4.6 or 4.5 stable (no idea if that was cos the offset needed to be higher or lower). Temps were high though anyway at 74c, and the voltage spiked to 1.4v in Aida64, so not liking that much. I'll likely not get a chance to do try anything else, by the time I get home from work. Though I guess could leave it running Prime95 or Aida64 overnight for a longer test.

@Papasmurf
I think I probably didn't quite apply the TIM correctly. Think I put it on the chip mostly not the heatsink, so perhaps that is costing me. I've since read the TIM application guides where it suggests two lines on the heatsink. I know I didn't apply too much though and did spread it properly.

Not much I can do to reduce the air temp other than open the windows wider (call that British air conditioning) or do a rain dance and hope the weather doesn't turn into an Indian Summer here. Much of the heat is due to the display being a LCD TV, which pumps out a ridiculous amount of heat.
Instead of putting the TIM on the cpu you should run thin strips of it down each of the heatpipes. That tends to work better. If you put it on the cpu when it spreads too much of it goes into the nearest grooves between the aluminum base and the heatpipes and doesn't fully spread properly. Since this is what is called a Heatpipe Direct Contact one has to apply the TIM differently than one would with a regular flat based heatsink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishkathefool View Post
erp... lemme dig around and see if I kept the box >.<

sweet... I did. Thanks for pointing that out, Skyline.

Okay, so, best fan to replace stock fan with? I will order three, two for HS and one to replace my molex blow hole fan.
For the heatsink I would just get another one of the BladeMaster's that it came with. That would allow you to retain PWM functionality and still provide good cooling efficiency. Otherwise Hi Speed Yates work very well, but the difference in temps compared to the BladeMaster is about 1C at best, but they don't support PWM so you would loose auto fan control on a lot of motherboards. To get any better cooling you would need to go with something like the 100+ cfm Deltas or San Aces, but that would probably only gain you a degree or so over the BladeMaster's or Hi Speed Yates would be considerably louder, and cost a lot more money. The 212+ has very tightly packed fins, considerably more so than most of the others so Static Pressure is

The BladeMaster's and Hi Speed Yates are a bit overkill for case fans. For a case fan I'm partial to Low or Medium Speed Yate Loons. If one has a fan controller then the HI Speed Yate or BladeMaster would work okay as one could control the noise. While the higher static pressure and higher cfms are necessary to push the air through heatsinks and rads, they don't really do much as case fans since they don't have to force the air through a tight opening. Any fan that pushes an actual 40-60cfm and stays within the noise parameter's of the user is ideal as a case fan. Gelid makes some excellent and quiet case fans as well, but they tend to be more expensive.
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
442
(15 items)
 
Q6600
(14 items)
 
Piece O' Crappola
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 E0 DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R 2 x HD4670QT512P CF Patriot PVS24G8500ELKN 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Stock pfsense Acer H233H Antec EarthWatts 430 
CaseAudio
custom onboard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 Lapped @ 3.4 GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA 9600GSO 384m 96SP 4G (2x2) Patriot Viper PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Maxtor, 320WDC. 320Seagate NEC ND-3550 & LiteOn CM Hyper 212+ w/PP Blademasters XP Pro SP3 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer H233H Rosewill RG630-S12 NZXT BetaEVO 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 GA-P35-DS3L GeForce 7300LE 2G PNY PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80Gig WDC SATA NEC ND3540A Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/XP Pro Acer H233H 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2300 of 6633
I was looking at 3 and 4 pin PWM fans. I will compare the Blademasters against other options, then. Thanks.
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
Pro Tem
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 25oo MSI P67A-GD65 B3 MSi GTX56oTX-Ti Asus Direct CUii GTX56o Ti 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB C3oo 128GB / 2x5ooGB WDGreen / 1.5TB SG LG DvD Burner Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 HP 64 AcerH233H / Acer X2o3H Antec 75oW Raidmax Smilodon Extreme fan mod 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/EVO Club