Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Nvidia's G71 has 32 pipes and 16 ROPs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nvidia's G71 has 32 pipes and 16 ROPs - Page 2

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyx
so does nVidia get Hyperthreading?

Render = prepare the pixel, draw = actually placing it on the screen.

It seems like ATi's gonna have a card that only uses 1 of every 3 pixels rendered, drawn. Thus resulting in wasted core time.

^^ My take on it
Wrong. In traditional designs, a pixel must pass through the pipeline for each shader operation. And if the game requires multiple shader operations, the pixel must pass through the pipeline multiple times, creating a bottleneck and dropping framerates.

What ATI has done is made it so that each pipeline can do 3 shader operations per pixel pass. This means that a pixel requiring 3 shader operations can now be rendered in one pass instead of 3, greatly increasing rendering speeds and efficiency. Now the R580 wont do as good as the G71 in games that dont require pixel shading, but in shader heavy games like FEAR, it will pull ahead and most likely outperform the G71 by a considerable margin.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyx
so does nVidia get Hyperthreading?

Render = prepare the pixel, draw = actually placing it on the screen.

It seems like ATi's gonna have a card that only uses 1 of every 3 pixels rendered, drawn. Thus resulting in wasted core time.

^^ My take on it
It was a pretty bad comparison. I was doing it for laughs, but even then, it really isn't much fun.
Burning Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 WD 80GB RAID0, Seagate 500GB, WD 1TB Caviar BLCK Lite-On LH-20A1S Windoze 7 Professional Dual Dell E207WFP 20.1" Widescreen LCD's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Silverstone OP750 Lian-Li PC-A10B Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Harley Davidson 
  hide details  
Reply
Burning Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Gigabyte EP45-UD3P eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3 WD 80GB RAID0, Seagate 500GB, WD 1TB Caviar BLCK Lite-On LH-20A1S Windoze 7 Professional Dual Dell E207WFP 20.1" Widescreen LCD's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Silverstone OP750 Lian-Li PC-A10B Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Harley Davidson 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrnyGoat
Wrong. In traditional designs, a pixel must pass through the pipeline for each shader operation. And if the game requires multiple shader operations, the pixel must pass through the pipeline multiple times, creating a bottleneck and dropping framerates.

What ATI has done is made it so that each pipeline can do 3 shader operations per pixel pass. This means that a pixel requiring 3 shader operations can now be rendered in one pass instead of 3, greatly increasing rendering speeds and efficiency. Now the R580 wont do as good as the G71 in games that dont require pixel shading, but in shader heavy games like FEAR, it will pull ahead and most likely outperform the G71 by a considerable margin.
So it's like the Mach 3, where I only have to shave once instead of three times?
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cait Sith Cat
So it's like the Mach 3, where I only have to shave once instead of three times?
I suppose you could put it like that.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 15
OMG LMAO, Mach 3, best comparison ever!!

and Hrnygoat, I stand corrected, but I wish I wasn't lol, nVidia have the better complete "package" whereas ATi are new in the market, and everyone know's ATi will release their uber R580 3 years after nVidia's equivilant gen :withstupi
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
SCREWED!! Asus P5WD2-E Premium 975X Windows XP MCE 2005 Dell 2405FPW - 24" TFT!! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
EluminX -- glowy Enermax Liberty 620W A TOP X-Blade Razer Copperhead 2000dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
SCREWED!! Asus P5WD2-E Premium 975X Windows XP MCE 2005 Dell 2405FPW - 24" TFT!! 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
EluminX -- glowy Enermax Liberty 620W A TOP X-Blade Razer Copperhead 2000dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Nvidia's G71 has 32 pipes and 16 ROPs