New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

9550-oc

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I was just wondering what you guys might think is the best OC speed for my 9550. I have a P4 that runs at 1717Mhz (lol.. pretty crappy). I have 738 of DDR ram. I was running Day of Defeat source the other day and i looked at my fps and to my surprise they were only running at an average of 30-45 and sometimes it would drop to 20. If anyone could give me any tips on what oc speed would be the best for me or any tips on how to run HL2(Dod Source and Counter-Strike Source) a little better,.. it would be very helpfull! Thx!

(BTW this is my first post, im new at this site and i would like to say whats up to everyone)
post #2 of 17
Hey, welcome to the fourm

Well, i would say your processor is really killing your preformance ingame.. If you got a better processor (for example, 2.4GHz P4) you would see a large boost in game preformance.. Also, OCing your Video card wont get you very far if your processor is allready having a hard time keeping up with it. I would recommend investing in a new processor sometime soon to see a preformance boost, because OCing your video card wont get you anywhere..
Btw, welcome again and enjoy your stay.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yeh thx for your awnser, ... i had doubts about my processor
New one coming up next pay check.....hehehe
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
I was also wondering if my motherboard could be affecting my permormance. I have an sis650 that has an integrated video card that I of course disabled.
Would investing in a new motherboard also be a +plus?
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitmo
I was also wondering if my motherboard could be affecting my permormance. I have an sis650 that has an integrated video card that I of course disabled.
Would investing in a new motherboard also be a +plus?
Yes, expecially if you game or overclock.. 1 question though, do you have a socket 478 motherboard or socket 479?

If you have a socket 479 motherboard.. time to replace..... get this processor (mine) and get this motherboard (depending on price range, i can recommend a different one)

If you have a s478 motherboard / processor, I would get that 2.4 i said above, but get some nicer memory to go along with it... this or this (price dependant again)

oh one more thing, go up to your "user CP" and fill out your profile, so it appears like mine below (system specs) thanks

Note: all prices in USD (sry bout that)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowza
Yes, expecially if you game or overclock.. 1 question though, do you have a socket 478 motherboard or socket 479?

If you have a socket 479 motherboard.. time to replace..... get this processor (mine) and get this motherboard (depending on price range, i can recommend a different one)

If you have a s478 motherboard / processor, I would get that 2.4 i said above, but get some nicer memory to go along with it... this or this (price dependant again)

oh one more thing, go up to your "user CP" and fill out your profile, so it appears like mine below (system specs) thanks

Note: all prices in USD (sry bout that)
Alright..I think Im going to get a new motherboard and processor no matter what. Thx for the tips man. I was looking at thos..For my processorhttp://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CP2-P4-516%20C
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Ive never really looked into getting a new motherboard before so could you give me any tips on what would make one better or worse before i make a purchase. Thank you.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitmo
Ive never really looked into getting a new motherboard before so could you give me any tips on what would make one better or worse before i make a purchase. Thank you.
Heh shure, thats good you decided to go socket LGA775 good price for that chip
Ok, what makes a motherboard better or worse is a few things.. The chipset (main one) manufacture/quality... Intel chipsets are the best for OCing period (applies to intel only) and are the best quality. The cheaper boards will use a VIA chipset or a SIS chipset (lower quality, basically to save money) The manufacture is important because, well we dont want to be buying crap now do we? Manufactures to avoid, Intel, Chaintech, Biostar (Some of there boards are decent, but as a whole, no), ECS, Aopen... Good motherboard manufactures include, Abit, Asus, DFI, MSI, and Gigabyte. (these choices can be seen differently by many people, but in my years of exp, i seen these boards to be either reliable or not, the best will hold up overtime).
Ok, decision time, do you want to keep your graphics card or not? And what is your price range? Thanks
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thx alot. You have been very helpfull, and thanks for the quick replies. Yes I will keep my graphics card, because im almost 100% sure that with my new processor and my new motherboard my computer and my games will run pretty smooth. (HL2(Dod Source(CSS(COD2)). And I think im going to go with your motherboard it looks pretty good and at a fair price.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitmo
Thx alot. You have been very helpfull, and thanks for the quick replies. Yes I will keep my graphics card, because im almost 100% sure that with my new processor and my new motherboard my computer and my games will run pretty smooth. (HL2(Dod Source(CSS(COD2)). And I think im going to go with your motherboard it looks pretty good and at a fair price.
WAIT!!! that is a socket 478 motherboard!!! you need a LGA775 motherboard with that processor you linked!! (here)

this is the motherboard you want, it's a good price and it comes with an AGP slot for your graphics card..
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T2500 Core Duo Dell Laptop Quadro 1500m flashed--> 7900GTX 2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
200GB SATA 5400RPM 8x DVD±RW Burner XP Home SP2 17" LCD (1920x1200) + 20.1" Samsung Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
GE Keyboard 9 Cell Battery E1705 Frame Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home