Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › E5300 overclockers club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

E5300 overclockers club - Page 120

post #1191 of 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agencyman View Post
Actually it does! I ran one up to 3.0 just to see if the board would do it without complaining, did just fine. It had to be taken back to 2.6, ad delivered before I could experiment more.

They even have a cool OC software package, name escapes me right now, (too many months), but it is useful for determining what works, later to be set in BIOS.

I'm going to build one more in another in a week or so to use up the last of the parts brought in for a run, and may have more news. Meanwhile let me know how your mobo USB pinouts work to any front panel use. I had two boards fail to run these two ports. Not a big deal, but...

Bruce Hinton
I tried Fox One (Their Windows Overclocking Utility). I put it on auto, which determines the maximum overclock before a crash. It said 240, but changing the FSB from 200 to 240 in the BIOS still didn't change the CPU clock at all. Remained 2.6 Ghz. In Windows you are supposed to wait until the Fox One Utility crashes the computer, then when you boot up it makes a recommendation for FSB setting. As I said, it said 240 (which doesn't change it). Nothing changes it. I could set it to 400 and it still remains 2.6 Ghz.

Anyone know why?

In terms of that motherboard's Front USB pin-outs, I simply plugged in the computer case's Front USB connector and it worked.

Thanks for the help with this,

John
AMD Rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Onloard Graphics G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DD... 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Onloard Graphics G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DD... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1192 of 1688
As for the software, it comes on CD with the mobo. I think it's called Fox One.

I tried 3.0 just to check the stock cooler. It did fine for a freebie. This mobo like to keep VCore down quite low, yet was quite stable in the little time I had it to fool with.

Bruce H.
Agencyman's Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus IV Gene GeForce GTX 560 Crucial 8 Gb 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Baccaruda 2 Tb Lite On  Corsair H-80+ Windows 7 Pro x 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic 24 Dell wireless OCZ 600 Alienware Area 51 
Mouse
Kensington TrackBall 
  hide details  
Reply
Agencyman's Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus IV Gene GeForce GTX 560 Crucial 8 Gb 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Baccaruda 2 Tb Lite On  Corsair H-80+ Windows 7 Pro x 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic 24 Dell wireless OCZ 600 Alienware Area 51 
Mouse
Kensington TrackBall 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1193 of 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agencyman View Post
As for the software, it comes on CD with the mobo. I think it's called Fox One.

I tried 3.0 just to check the stock cooler. It did fine for a freebie. This mobo like to keep VCore down quite low, yet was quite stable in the little time I had it to fool with.

Bruce H.
Are there any ways that you see to permanently change it to 3.0 Ghz in the BIOS? The changes to the FSB in the BIOS seem to have no effect.

John
AMD Rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Onloard Graphics G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DD... 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Onloard Graphics G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DD... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1194 of 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post
Are there any ways that you see to permanently change it to 3.0 Ghz in the BIOS? The changes to the FSB in the BIOS seem to have no effect.

John
Hmm.
The changes are not sticking?
post #1195 of 1688
Hi everyone, I've never overclocked before and I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the process. For some reason, my bios makes it complicated to overclock. For example, it doesn't show my cpu's voltage. Once, I tried to overclock to 3 Ghz and my computer turned on, but the monitor was blank. Also, I was wondering if it is necessary to overclock the RAM when overclocking the cpu? Could someone who knows or is familiar with my mobo give me some tips?
Edited by Aurin - 12/4/10 at 10:06pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E5300 @ 3.21GHz Asus P5Q SE/R Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Samsung SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Asus 20 in. (1600x900) 
KeyboardPowerCase
IBM Model M Cooler Master 460w NZXT Apollo Black 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium Dual Core E5300 @ 3.21GHz Asus P5Q SE/R Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Samsung SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Asus 20 in. (1600x900) 
KeyboardPowerCase
IBM Model M Cooler Master 460w NZXT Apollo Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1196 of 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
Hmm.
The changes are not sticking?
No.

The Foxconn Windows based Utility (Fox One) allows me to overclock the CPU, but there appears to be no independent way to lower the resulting increase in Memory frequency. They are tied together. No adjustment in Fox One for memory to FSB ratio. It is 2:1 so increasing the FSB in Fox One from 200 to 230 results in a memory frequency of 920 with no apparent way to lower it to 800.

In the BIOS, no change sticks.

John
AMD Rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Onloard Graphics G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DD... 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Onloard Graphics G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DD... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1197 of 1688
I will definitely be revisiting the situation when I get the items to start the build. I wish I could remember the details, but I cannot.

This forum has some very talented folks to help, but if you don't solve it by the time I'm into it again, then I will do my best.

FoxConn has a good support e-mail "ticket system", don't overlook the Horse's mouth.

Bruce H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post
No.
The Foxconn Windows based Utility (Fox One) allows me to overclock the CPU, but there appears to be no independent way to lower the resulting increase in Memory frequency. They are tied together. No adjustment in Fox One for memory to FSB ratio. It is 2:1 so increasing the FSB in Fox One from 200 to 230 results in a memory frequency of 920 with no apparent way to lower it to 800.

In the BIOS, no change sticks.
John
Agencyman's Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus IV Gene GeForce GTX 560 Crucial 8 Gb 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Baccaruda 2 Tb Lite On  Corsair H-80+ Windows 7 Pro x 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic 24 Dell wireless OCZ 600 Alienware Area 51 
Mouse
Kensington TrackBall 
  hide details  
Reply
Agencyman's Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus IV Gene GeForce GTX 560 Crucial 8 Gb 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Baccaruda 2 Tb Lite On  Corsair H-80+ Windows 7 Pro x 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic 24 Dell wireless OCZ 600 Alienware Area 51 
Mouse
Kensington TrackBall 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1198 of 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post
No.

The Foxconn Windows based Utility (Fox One) allows me to overclock the CPU, but there appears to be no independent way to lower the resulting increase in Memory frequency. They are tied together. No adjustment in Fox One for memory to FSB ratio. It is 2:1 so increasing the FSB in Fox One from 200 to 230 results in a memory frequency of 920 with no apparent way to lower it to 800.

In the BIOS, no change sticks.

John
may i offer a much more extreme solution to this?

it seems that the memory is not liking 920mhz yes? and, from what i know, it running at that speed is determined by the memory divider, which in turn is determined from the max normal speed sent to the bios chip from the SPD chip on the memory module. So, what im thinking is get a program like SPD tool, and re-flash the SPD chips to, say 667mhz and the associated timings, and THEN overclock.
I pulled a similar trick with 4 of my now dead DDR memory modules (put them all through a 1 way suicide run to 500mhz), where i flashed the SPD chips to get 333mhz out of the sticks instead of 266. It might work here.

Test this on a spare stick of same clock speed, so that in the event it doesnt work or you b0rk the stick, your primary set of ram is unharmed.
Leviathan
(17 items)
 
Charred
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-2690 Biostar TPower X79 PNY GTX 660 2GB HP GT 440 OEM 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Patriot Pyro 60GB Xigmatek Gaia Windows 7 Ultimate Acer S230HL 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Princeton 1280x1024 19" Logitech K120 Seasonic G550 Xclio Nighthawk 
Mouse
Logitech MX310 
  hide details  
Reply
Leviathan
(17 items)
 
Charred
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-2690 Biostar TPower X79 PNY GTX 660 2GB HP GT 440 OEM 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz Seagate Barracuda 500GB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Patriot Pyro 60GB Xigmatek Gaia Windows 7 Ultimate Acer S230HL 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Princeton 1280x1024 19" Logitech K120 Seasonic G550 Xclio Nighthawk 
Mouse
Logitech MX310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1199 of 1688
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurin View Post
Hi everyone, I've never overclocked before and I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the process. For some reason, my bios makes it complicated to overclock. For example, it doesn't show my cpu's voltage. Once, I tried to overclock to 3 Ghz and my computer turned on, but the monitor was blank. Also, I was wondering if it is necessary to overclock the RAM when overclocking the cpu? Could someone who knows or is familiar with my mobo give me some tips?
welcome to the club mate

Yes, the DRAM overclocks automatically when you increase the FSB frequency

there are two ways around it

1- Some motherboards gives the option to latch you DRAM to a specific FSB Frequency and that gives you some DRAM overclocking headroom to enable higher FSB speeds

2- Some motherboards gives the option to unlink your DRAM from the FSB so that increasing the FSB speed will have no effect on your DRAM speed

As for your overclocking problem, i will download your MB bios soon and see what i can do to help out.
Underdog
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2Q6600 G0 @ 3.40Ghz 8 x 425Mhz 1.26v Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC @ 850Mhz/4200Mhz 1.08v Kingston 4x2GB PC2-6400 5-5-5-15 1.90v 1:1 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Spinpoint 250GB  WesternDigital Blue 160GB Samsung SATA DVD-RW +/- Cooler Master Hyper T4  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit Windows 8 Pro 64Bit ASUS VS228-D A4TECH GR-152 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VS450W Everest 707BR A4TECH G9-730FX Black 
Audio
Realtek ALC889A 
  hide details  
Reply
Underdog
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2Q6600 G0 @ 3.40Ghz 8 x 425Mhz 1.26v Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC @ 850Mhz/4200Mhz 1.08v Kingston 4x2GB PC2-6400 5-5-5-15 1.90v 1:1 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Spinpoint 250GB  WesternDigital Blue 160GB Samsung SATA DVD-RW +/- Cooler Master Hyper T4  
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit Windows 8 Pro 64Bit ASUS VS228-D A4TECH GR-152 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VS450W Everest 707BR A4TECH G9-730FX Black 
Audio
Realtek ALC889A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1200 of 1688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post
may i offer a much more extreme solution to this?

it seems that the memory is not liking 920mhz yes? and, from what i know, it running at that speed is determined by the memory divider, which in turn is determined from the max normal speed sent to the bios chip from the SPD chip on the memory module. So, what im thinking is get a program like SPD tool, and re-flash the SPD chips to, say 667mhz and the associated timings, and THEN overclock.
I pulled a similar trick with 4 of my now dead DDR memory modules (put them all through a 1 way suicide run to 500mhz), where i flashed the SPD chips to get 333mhz out of the sticks instead of 266. It might work here.

Test this on a spare stick of same clock speed, so that in the event it doesnt work or you b0rk the stick, your primary set of ram is unharmed.
I can manually lock the memory to 667 mhz in the BIOS. It makes absolutely no difference. Even in the places in the BIOS that show the CPU speed, absolutely nothing changes no matter what value you change. It stays at 2.6 Ghz. With other motherboards I have overclocked, as I make changes to the FSB, the CPU speed shows the change in the BIOS. Not with this one.

In other words I can change the FSB and the memory frequency. I can negotiate around the various menus in the BIOS and then go back to the section with the FSB and it still shows the increase I set it to, BUT the greyed out sections that show the CPU speed always remain at 2.6 Ghz. Something has to be preventing it from sticking.

Thanks,

John
AMD Rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Onloard Graphics G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DD... 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Rig
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
960T Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Onloard Graphics G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DD... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › E5300 overclockers club