Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › PCIe Overclocking anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PCIe Overclocking anyone? - Page 2

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Newbie
I have overclocked my PCI Express bus to 145 MHz (the top my motherboard supports) without any issues. No stability problems here.
Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Newbie
Overclocking the PCI Express bus generally does not do much in terms of performance...
Really? I did see a jump in my 3Dmark05 score though. I must have a bottleneck of sorts.
OpterOWN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe EVGA 7900GT 2GB OCZ EL Platinum 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
36Gb Raptor Raid-0, 200Gb Maxtor Xp Home 19" Flat screen CRT Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ Powerstream 520w Super Flower, with extension Some MS Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
OpterOWN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe EVGA 7900GT 2GB OCZ EL Platinum 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
36Gb Raptor Raid-0, 200Gb Maxtor Xp Home 19" Flat screen CRT Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ Powerstream 520w Super Flower, with extension Some MS Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastacator
Really? I did see a jump in my 3Dmark05 score though. I must have a bottleneck of sorts.
With an increased PCI Express bus, data can move between the devices and the Northbridge faster. Since you're running SLI, it's possible that the 6600GT's individually need more bandwidth than PCI Express x8 natively supports, thus when you increase the speed of your PCI Express bus, you're increasing the amount of bandwidth available to the videocards.

I'm running SLI as well so I guess I should have noticed a similar performance boost but then again I did not test very long. I'll try it out (not tonight though, it's my wedding anniversary ) and let you know my results later.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Opteron 148 @ 3.4 GHz DFI LP NF4 SLI-DR Expert WinXP/XP64, Gentoo Viewsonic P95F+ 
PowerCase
SilverStone ST65ZF 650W Lian Li PC60B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Newbie
With an increased PCI Express bus, data can move between the devices and the Northbridge faster. Since you're running SLI, it's possible that the 6600GT's individually need more bandwidth than PCI Express x8 natively supports, thus when you increase the speed of your PCI Express bus, you're increasing the amount of bandwidth available to the videocards.

I'm running SLI as well so I guess I should have noticed a similar performance boost but then again I did not test very long. I'll try it out (not tonight though, it's my wedding anniversary ) and let you know my results later.
That is what I was thinking exactly. Since SLI lowers the bandwith per card to x8, I started to think that raising the PCIe bus would help that out. Didn't mess with it when i was running single card.

HA!! Yeah, i wouldn't mess with it tonight either if i were you. Got some other overclocking to do, Hee, Hee, Heehee!
OpterOWN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe EVGA 7900GT 2GB OCZ EL Platinum 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
36Gb Raptor Raid-0, 200Gb Maxtor Xp Home 19" Flat screen CRT Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ Powerstream 520w Super Flower, with extension Some MS Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
OpterOWN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe EVGA 7900GT 2GB OCZ EL Platinum 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
36Gb Raptor Raid-0, 200Gb Maxtor Xp Home 19" Flat screen CRT Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ Powerstream 520w Super Flower, with extension Some MS Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 15
so does this just affect your video cards or will it affect say your sound card also, another thing you guys say data coruption so does it your hdd's as well or just your northbridge

thanks for any more info
xeon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3520 x58 ud5 9800gtx+ tridents 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd black x2 W7 64 acer 23 ocz 850hx 
Case
haf932 
  hide details  
Reply
xeon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
W3520 x58 ud5 9800gtx+ tridents 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
wd black x2 W7 64 acer 23 ocz 850hx 
Case
haf932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX22
so does this just affect your video cards or will it affect say your sound card also, another thing you guys say data coruption so does it your hdd's as well or just your northbridge

thanks for any more info
I'm not sure what else runs on the PCIe bus, besides graphics. I don't know for AMD. Seems i remember reading that on some Intel i9** chipsets the FSb is some how interconnected to the PCIe, so overclocking anything doesn't work well. I tend to think a sound card would be on the standard PCI though.
OpterOWN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe EVGA 7900GT 2GB OCZ EL Platinum 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
36Gb Raptor Raid-0, 200Gb Maxtor Xp Home 19" Flat screen CRT Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ Powerstream 520w Super Flower, with extension Some MS Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
OpterOWN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe EVGA 7900GT 2GB OCZ EL Platinum 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
36Gb Raptor Raid-0, 200Gb Maxtor Xp Home 19" Flat screen CRT Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ Powerstream 520w Super Flower, with extension Some MS Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › PCIe Overclocking anyone?