Overclock.net banner

Best OCing 4GB kit of DDR3 under $100?

747 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  JaYp146 
#1 ·
Alright guys,

Simply wondering what you guys think is the best 4GB kit of overclocking DDR3 for $100ish.

I've seen a lot of recommendations to get this Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory.
- Seems this gets great timings at low voltages for DDR3-1600.

Any other opinions? I'll be pairing them with a Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards and an i5 750.

#3 ·
#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 7hm
View Post

it has a $20 rebate

You linked me to a whole page of RAM choices, all of which were at least $115..

if you're referring to the OCZ Platinum set, I'm betting the Ripjaws kit could get just as good of timings at 1.7v (and for only $94) ...

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaYp146
View Post

True, but I bet those were achieved at 1.65v.

Would like to stay <$100 ...

Of course, Intel is limited to 1.65v. It's normal to get a 1.65v set. So you think the kit you selected is better because it runs at 1.5v? You probably have to raise the voltage to get it at better timings, see what I mean?

You put in your opening post that the kit you selected has great timings, well to be honest, it does not. If it was 2133mhz at those timings, then yes.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

Of course, Intel is limited to 1.65v. It's normal to get a 1.65v set. So you think the kit you selected is better because it runs at 1.5v? You probably have to raise the voltage to get it at better timings, see what I mean?

You put in your opening post that the kit you selected has great timings, well to be honest, it does not. If it was 2133mhz at those timings, then yes.

Great timings for 1.5v, yes. Every other comparable kit uses 1.6v or higher to achieve CL8 or CL7. Seems the Ripjaws are just capable.

Regardless, I ordered the Ripjaws. Thanks guys.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaYp146
View Post

Great timings for 1.5v, yes. Every other comparable kit uses 1.6v or higher to achieve CL8 or CL7. Seems the Ripjaws are just capable.

Regardless, I ordered the Ripjaws. Thanks guys.

Yeah, it seemed like you already had made up your mind

• Rep+
Reactions: JaYp146
#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

Yeah, it seemed like you already had made up your mind

Yeah, pretty much

I just wanted to see if there were other beastly price/performance options I wasn't aware of.

Regardless, I appreciate everyone's input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.