Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Project "Hear the Silence"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Project "Hear the Silence"

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Well, the fist part of my newegg order got here today (next day shipping with out even paying for it!)! I'm still waiting on my PSU DVD-ROM drive, Floppy Drive and sound card, but they should get here tomorrow if newegg isn’t lying. I will give you photos and a detailed build log tomorrow when the rest of my stuff gets here, but for now I will give you my parts list so you know what to look forward to and my thoughts about the stuff that is here now.

I wanted this computer to be a quiet as possible with out sacrificing performance. It is in the same room I sleep in, so I want to be able to leave it going all night for downloads and the like. Before I go any farther, here is the list:

CPU: AMD Athlon x2 4400+ - $497

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium - $163

RAM: OCZ Gold Edition (2x 1 GB) - $228

Video Card: XFX 7800GT - $309

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital Raptor 74 GB - $312

PSU: Sunbeam Nuuo 550w - $85

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - $114

Case: Antec P180 - $125

DVD-RW: NEC ND-3550A - $46

DVD-ROM: Sony DVD-ROM Drive - $22

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS7700-CU

GPU Cooler: Zalman VF700-CU


Total cost after shipping and rebates: $2037

Since I am going for a quiet computer, I chose the Antec P180 for the case. I read several reviews of both it and the P150, and found that the P180 had more features and seemed to provide better cooling because of the chamber design. I have had my first look at it today, and after reading so many reviews I was not surprised by much. There is more plastic in the case then I had first though from seeing pics (the entire top of the case is plastic, although there is a steal plate under it). Also, the side panels are plastic with aluminum plaiting, but go on and off fine, and feel very sturdy. The front panel is also plastic with a thin aluminum plate, but it does not feel flimsy as several people have said. All in all it seems like a very nice case, I just wish they had used less plastic and more metal.

Most of the rest of the stuff is pretty ordinary, although the RAM really looks sweet in its gold heat spreaders (the pics on newegg don’t nearly give it justice). The numbers on my CPU are:

ADA4400DAA6CD
CCBW 0541RPMW

I have no idea what this means or if it is good or not, so maybe one of our CPU gurus can enlighten me
post #2 of 16
We have pretty damn close to the same systems, and let me tell you that the Antec P180 is the **** . The only small downside is it is a little hard to manager the wires with the PSU on bottom, but it's not a big deal at all. Also, I love the A8N-SLi Premium and the the 4400...but the max vcore with that mobo and cpu is 1.45V! Which kinda sucks. I had an Audigy 2 before my X-Fi...and wow is the X-Fi a lot nicer, and I don't know if you play BF2 or not but you can finally raise it to the Ultra High sound quality . We have basically the same video card, and it runs all games on highest settings with ease. Back when my stuff was oced I got my 7800 GTX up to 9000 3DMarks .

Boy, are you gonna have fun with that system, and let me know how yo can oc it. Oh, and I just put AS5 on my CPU a couple days ago and meant to check my stepping, but forgot.
College Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 | 3.5GHz @ 1.075v 24/7 EVGA x58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 275 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 640 GB WD Caviar Black Microsoft Vista Ultimate Hanns-G HG-281DPB 28-Inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster ATCS 840 Logiech G5 Func mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
College Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 | 3.5GHz @ 1.075v 24/7 EVGA x58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 275 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 640 GB WD Caviar Black Microsoft Vista Ultimate Hanns-G HG-281DPB 28-Inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster ATCS 840 Logiech G5 Func mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
Well, the fist part of my newegg order got here today (next day shipping with out even paying for it!)! I'm still waiting on my PSU DVD-ROM drive, Floppy Drive and sound card, but they should get here tomorrow if newegg isn’t lying. I will give you photos and a detailed build log tomorrow when the rest of my stuff gets here, but for now I will give you my parts list so you know what to look forward to and my thoughts about the stuff that is here now.

I wanted this computer to be a quiet as possible with out sacrificing performance. It is in the same room I sleep in, so I want to be able to leave it going all night for downloads and the like. Before I go any farther, here is the list:

CPU: AMD Athlon x2 4400+ - $497

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium - $163

RAM: OCZ Gold Edition (2x 1 GB) - $228

Video Card: XFX 7800GT - $309

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital Raptor 74 GB - $312

PSU: Sunbeam Nuuo 550w - $85

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - $114

Case: Antec P180 - $125

DVD-RW: NEC ND-3550A - $46

DVD-ROM: Sony DVD-ROM Drive - $22

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS7700-CU

GPU Cooler: Zalman VF700-CU


Total cost after shipping and rebates: $2037

Since I am going for a quiet computer, I chose the Antec P180 for the case. I read several reviews of both it and the P150, and found that the P180 had more features and seemed to provide better cooling because of the chamber design. I have had my first look at it today, and after reading so many reviews I was not surprised by much. There is more plastic in the case then I had first though from seeing pics (the entire top of the case is plastic, although there is a steal plate under it). Also, the side panels are plastic with aluminum plaiting, but go on and off fine, and feel very sturdy. The front panel is also plastic with a thin aluminum plate, but it does not feel flimsy as several people have said. All in all it seems like a very nice case, I just wish they had used less plastic and more metal.

Most of the rest of the stuff is pretty ordinary, although the RAM really looks sweet in its gold heat spreaders (the pics on newegg don’t nearly give it justice). The numbers on my CPU are:

ADA4400DAA6CD
CCBW 0541RPMW
1340217J50493

I have no idea what this means or if it is good or not, so maybe one of our CPU gurus can enlighten me
Good buy!
Now delete the third row of your CPU ID post now!
New Belle
(10 items)
 
ImPA120.3
(13 items)
 
Old Rig
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Impact 780 Ti Crucial 16GB Low Profile 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 1TB Seagate 2x2TB Raid 1 Samsung 1TB 2.5" Custom 360 Rad 
OSPower
Windows 8 Pro evga supernova 1300 G2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X3350 Maximus Formula HD 4850 8GB G.Skill 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB WD Black Samsung SATA 7 64 Ultimate 20" Acer WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco 104 Cherry Brown Corsair 520HX Three Hundred MX310 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Asus A7V8X-LA X850Pro 1GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
120GB Caviar XP Home 32 20" 1680x1050 Acer Compaq 
PowerCaseMouse
Modded HIPRO 250w Modded Compaq Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
New Belle
(10 items)
 
ImPA120.3
(13 items)
 
Old Rig
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Impact 780 Ti Crucial 16GB Low Profile 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 1TB Seagate 2x2TB Raid 1 Samsung 1TB 2.5" Custom 360 Rad 
OSPower
Windows 8 Pro evga supernova 1300 G2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X3350 Maximus Formula HD 4850 8GB G.Skill 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB WD Black Samsung SATA 7 64 Ultimate 20" Acer WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco 104 Cherry Brown Corsair 520HX Three Hundred MX310 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Asus A7V8X-LA X850Pro 1GB Kingston 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
120GB Caviar XP Home 32 20" 1680x1050 Acer Compaq 
PowerCaseMouse
Modded HIPRO 250w Modded Compaq Microsoft Optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun
Good buy!
Now delete the third row of your CPU ID post now!
Why, whats in the third row?

Also, I just looked at the box for my Zalman VF700-Cu and it says "Cannot be used with nVidia PCX cards". Please tell me this does not mean PCI-E cards such as my 7800GT!
post #5 of 16
Sun you also need to remove it from your quote!!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego MSI K8N Neo4-F Win XP pro Big CRT 17" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wireless Duo 400W Rosewill Cheap mid Tower Logitech Wireless Duo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
Also, I just looked at the box for my Zalman VF700-Cu and it says "Cannot be used with nVidia PCX cards". Please tell me this does not mean PCI-E cards such as my 7800GT!
I just checked and the problem is with the 5750 PCI-E version only. Also, I just learned from Yiffy that the code on my CPU that Sun wanted me to take out is only the S/N which would be used for RAMing and such, and there would not be any point in stealing it.
post #7 of 16
One thing. That raptor will never be silent. Also, I have that DVD Burner and it's the loudest thing ever. If you still can...trade it in for the new LG. I have that one too and it's a LOT quieter. Just thought I'd let you know before you fire it up and hear it's loud ass whirr and whine.
Desktop
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Gigabyte XA990-UD3 Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce III G. Skill RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Western Digital Blue LG Dual Layer Sata Antec Kuhler 920 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Dell 2007wfp 20.1" Logitech G710+ Corsair Professional HX650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster Silencio Steelseries Sensei [RAW] Func F10.s 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Gigabyte XA990-UD3 Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce III G. Skill RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Western Digital Blue LG Dual Layer Sata Antec Kuhler 920 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Dell 2007wfp 20.1" Logitech G710+ Corsair Professional HX650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster Silencio Steelseries Sensei [RAW] Func F10.s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 16
the raptors are quiet...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ @ 3.0 DFI lan P UT Ultra-D Win XP Pro liquidvideo 17" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
a wal mart one truepower 2 550W Sunbeam Transformer razer diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ @ 3.0 DFI lan P UT Ultra-D Win XP Pro liquidvideo 17" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
a wal mart one truepower 2 550W Sunbeam Transformer razer diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideburns
One thing. That raptor will never be silent. Also, I have that DVD Burner and it's the loudest thing ever. If you still can...trade it in for the new LG. I have that one too and it's a LOT quieter. Just thought I'd let you know before you fire it up and hear it's loud ass whirr and whine.
The case has the silicon drive mounts, which should help a lot in killing drive noise. Also, I dont really care about DVD drive noise, as it wont be going all the time.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Well, I got it all put to gether, but as of right now, I still dont have an OS (windows is having problems with the RAID drives). I can, however, fill you in on how the build went.

Most things went fine, although figuring out how to rout the cables in the case was a bit tricky. I ended up takeing out the lower section fan so I could run cables through the fan hole. The silicon rubber drive mounts are much softer then the ruber ones on other Antec cases like the Super LANboy, so you can not tighten the screws all the way. It took some doing to figure out just how tight was tight enough to keep the drives in place with out crushing the mounts.

I must say, I liked the fact the Antec kept the front pannel cables (HDD LED, power switch, etc) conected as a strip insted of single as most other caes do. It made for much less clutter. There was one bit of panic when I first turned the system on and got no video, but it turns out I had forgotten to plug the P4 +12v line into my PSU :doh

I will get some pics up at some point, but right now I'm still trying to fix my RAID problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Project "Hear the Silence"