Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › need some help with a first build.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

need some help with a first build.

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
hey everyone, I'm new to the site and computer building, but I have a few questions about a potential build.

I'm looking to build a new computer, and I've already picked the parts out that I need, and I was wondering if everything is compatible and just any other thoughts/ideas you guys might have.



Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SAPPHIRE 100137 Radeon X800 CrossFire Edition 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

COOLMAX CX-550B ATX 550W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX

and for the motherboard, I'm not sure if I either want:

ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire ATX AMD CrossFire Motherboard


or

DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire AMD Motherboard



so yeah, any ideas/thoughts/criticisms are appreciated. don't hold back.



EDIT: forgot RAM.

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt
post #2 of 6
If you are a gamer think about adding an X-fi sound card to take the load off the CPU. Unbelievable difference over on board sound
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruvil
hey everyone, I'm new to the site and computer building, but I have a few questions about a potential build.

I'm looking to build a new computer, and I've already picked the parts out that I need, and I was wondering if everything is compatible and just any other thoughts/ideas you guys might have.



Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SAPPHIRE 100137 Radeon X800 CrossFire Edition 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

COOLMAX CX-550B ATX 550W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX

and for the motherboard, I'm not sure if I either want:

ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire ATX AMD CrossFire Motherboard


or

DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire AMD Motherboard



so yeah, any ideas/thoughts/criticisms are appreciated. don't hold back.
Hi there. Just a couple of opinions from me.

The graphics card I would change for a X850 crossfire edition..here..USD $275 if you want to stay in the same budget bracket but a X1800XT would be great only the cost is not so great at around USD$500
The PSU will need to replaced especially if you intend to go crossfire configuration later.
The motherboard I would stick with the ASUS A8R-MVP see a review..here..as to the reasons why. ( I will have one in a week hopefully).

You have not indicated any choice of RAM.

cheers

edit: on the RAM choice if you want to stay with 2 x 1024Mb modules you could go for the G.SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ for $197..here..or the G.SKILL F1-3200BIU2-2GBHX for $245..here
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3700+Sandiego KACAE DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D 2 x eVGA6600GT 256Mb 2x512Mb TCCD 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD 80Gb SATAII XP Puss Pro Logiteck Multimedia Enermax Noisetaker 485W 
CaseMouse
XG Quantum - modified Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3700+Sandiego KACAE DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D 2 x eVGA6600GT 256Mb 2x512Mb TCCD 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
WD 80Gb SATAII XP Puss Pro Logiteck Multimedia Enermax Noisetaker 485W 
CaseMouse
XG Quantum - modified Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomaswil
If you are a gamer think about adding an X-fi sound card to take the load off the CPU. Unbelievable difference over on board sound

oh yeah, I bought one of those just a few days ago. I'm using it in the one I have now, but once I get my new one I'm going to move it over.

EDIT: I just put the RAM in the main post, sorry about that.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruvil
hey everyone, I'm new to the site and computer building, but I have a few questions about a potential build.

I'm looking to build a new computer, and I've already picked the parts out that I need, and I was wondering if everything is compatible and just any other thoughts/ideas you guys might have.



Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SAPPHIRE 100137 Radeon X800 CrossFire Edition 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

COOLMAX CX-550B ATX 550W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX

and for the motherboard, I'm not sure if I either want:

ASUS A8R-MVP Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire ATX AMD CrossFire Motherboard


or

DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire AMD Motherboard



so yeah, any ideas/thoughts/criticisms are appreciated. don't hold back.



EDIT: forgot RAM.

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt


Normally, Corsair RAM and DFI boards are not friendly. It's not a "they definitely won't work", but you're taking a risk with corsair RAM. DFI boards like G.SKILL, Geil, Mushkin, etc. at tight timings.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield DFI DK P35-T2RS eVGA 9800GTX 512MB G.SKILL DDR2-800 4x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
160GB WD SATA2 Pioneer DVD-ROM Acer 22 in. Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
PC Power & Cooling 750W Antec P182 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield DFI DK P35-T2RS eVGA 9800GTX 512MB G.SKILL DDR2-800 4x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorKeyboard
160GB WD SATA2 Pioneer DVD-ROM Acer 22 in. Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
PC Power & Cooling 750W Antec P182 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xie67
Hi there. Just a couple of opinions from me.

The graphics card I would change for a X850 crossfire edition..here..USD $275 if you want to stay in the same budget bracket but a X1800XT would be great only the cost is not so great at around USD$500
The PSU will need to replaced especially if you intend to go crossfire configuration later.
The motherboard I would stick with the ASUS A8R-MVP see a review..here..as to the reasons why. ( I will have one in a week hopefully).

You have not indicated any choice of RAM.

cheers

edit: on the RAM choice if you want to stay with 2 x 1024Mb modules you could go for the G.SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ for $197..here..or the G.SKILL F1-3200BIU2-2GBHX for $245..here
do you have any suggestions on the PSU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › need some help with a first build.