Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › How to get your Kingston 40GB SSD to support TRIM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to get your Kingston 40GB SSD to support TRIM - Page 4

post #31 of 285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telnet View Post
You could try the update in AHCI mode, the updater should support that too, some AHCI implementations just are not compatible with the update program's process for locating the SSD in AHCI mode and so Intel's workaround for this is to configure SATA port mode to "Legacy" or "Compatibility". AHCI itself is supported, it just doesn't always work.
There you are lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchwell View Post
@telnet BRAVO!!! I do not have this drive but got to give credit when its due.

@ ENTERPRISE very nice and thorough guide after reading it. Beneficial to any owner of who bought the drive. Im sure as more firmware from intel comes out you guys will be in the forefront with a modified update.
Cheers dude.

Yeah well if Intel does release further updates then hopefully Telnet will be able to find a way to modify it for us Kingston users. Personally I am happy to just have Trim lol
post #32 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post

There you are lol

Finally gave him his rep too!
Blue Shadow
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 3939B078 @ 4.0Ghz eVGA x58 SLi A1 E758 2x Galaxy GTX 460 768MB SLi @ 825/1650/4000 12GB (6x2GB) OCZ Gold 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Perc 5/i RAID5 - 4x WD 640GB Blue 2x Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x NEC 20WMGX2 AS-IPS 20.1" LCD @ 5040x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 (Blue v1) Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Lian Li Lancool PC-K63 Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Cyber Snipa Tracer 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Shadow
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 3939B078 @ 4.0Ghz eVGA x58 SLi A1 E758 2x Galaxy GTX 460 768MB SLi @ 825/1650/4000 12GB (6x2GB) OCZ Gold 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Perc 5/i RAID5 - 4x WD 640GB Blue 2x Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x NEC 20WMGX2 AS-IPS 20.1" LCD @ 5040x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 (Blue v1) Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Lian Li Lancool PC-K63 Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Cyber Snipa Tracer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 285
i've made it

you can't guess how exciting i am

but there are two point i need to metion

1,the iso image you've made for giving us convinience is not bootable,but it is ok
you can run ISSDFUT in any device that can enter DOS.i used a usb disk.
2,for HDAT2 you must burn it to a CD because it will search for CD-ROM driver firstly,if it is failed,the process won't go on. i failed 5 times with my bootable usb disk.


i still have a wish that makes the Mod perfectly,if someone can change Device ID from Kingston SSDnow to Intel SSD so that make it easier for next firmware update if Intel release a new one.
post #34 of 285
really thanks for Telnet

and for ENTERPTISE too!!!!
post #35 of 285
Thats awesome i may just buy one now. SSD's FTW.
reposesor
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 930 Asus Rampage ii Gene EVGA GTX 480 EK Waterblcok xfx 9800gtx+ ocz 1600 3GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
crucial 256gb M4 and 500 GB Segate Windows 7 64bit 2 Emachines 23 inch HX850W 
Case
Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
reposesor
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I7 930 Asus Rampage ii Gene EVGA GTX 480 EK Waterblcok xfx 9800gtx+ ocz 1600 3GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
crucial 256gb M4 and 500 GB Segate Windows 7 64bit 2 Emachines 23 inch HX850W 
Case
Corsair 800D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i've made it

you can't guess how exciting i am

but there are two point i need to metion

1,the iso image you've made for giving us convinience is not bootable,but it is ok
you can run ISSDFUT in any device that can enter DOS.i used a usb disk.
2,for HDAT2 you must burn it to a CD because it will search for CD-ROM driver firstly,if it is failed,the process won't go on. i failed 5 times with my bootable usb disk.


i still have a wish that makes the Mod perfectly,if someone can change Device ID from Kingston SSDnow to Intel SSD so that make it easier for next firmware update if Intel release a new one.
The ISO image is bootable mate. It works fine as bootable with me. I tried and tested it on 3 machines. Its definitely bootable.

Perhaps use a different disk or burning utility. The ISO image is fine.

As for HDAT2..I am not sure what you are trying to say. I stated in my guide you need to burn it to disk

I am glad to see other happy members.
post #37 of 285
Yeah - the iso boots fine for me. Sadly still not detecting the SSD in ACHI.

I haven't tried the USB boot yet but am wondering if my problem is due to my SSD being controlled by a Gigabyte SATA2.

My ICH9Rs are occupied by hard drives in RAID arrays and I was hoping I wouldn't have to disconnect them all (bit cramped in my case!) but I might try swapping the Kingston to an ICH9R.
post #38 of 285
Hi
I have followed this thread and took the plunge this evening. I got my Kingston firmware set to the Intel one using the iSSDFUT as per the instructions here, but the drive was not seen in the HDAT2 list, so I could not reset trim.

As I am using XP32, I wondered if TRIM would only be activated in W7 or other OS and whether I could still use Optimizer, so I edited the Intel SSD Toolbox software as shown and it does now offer the previously grayed out options, but still recognises the drive as a Kingston so will not allow the Optimzer to run.

Does anyone know where I am going wrong ? My disks have always been set to legacy mode, so could AHCI be the answer ? (my impression is something in the drive is still flagging it as Kingston).

Many thanks for any help - new to the forum though have followed the site for some time.

cjph
post #39 of 285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy Moon View Post
Yeah - the iso boots fine for me. Sadly still not detecting the SSD in ACHI.

I haven't tried the USB boot yet but am wondering if my problem is due to my SSD being controlled by a Gigabyte SATA2.

My ICH9Rs are occupied by hard drives in RAID arrays and I was hoping I wouldn't have to disconnect them all (bit cramped in my case!) but I might try swapping the Kingston to an ICH9R.
Try switching to another controller but also please try using IDE mode for your SATA and give it another shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjph View Post
Hi
I have followed this thread and took the plunge this evening. I got my Kingston firmware set to the Intel one using the iSSDFUT as per the instructions here, but the drive was not seen in the HDAT2 list, so I could not reset trim.

As I am using XP32, I wondered if TRIM would only be activated in W7 or other OS and whether I could still use Optimizer, so I edited the Intel SSD Toolbox software as shown and it does now offer the previously grayed out options, but still recognises the drive as a Kingston so will not allow the Optimzer to run.

Does anyone know where I am going wrong ? My disks have always been set to legacy mode, so could AHCI be the answer ? (my impression is something in the drive is still flagging it as Kingston).

Many thanks for any help - new to the forum though have followed the site for some time.

cjph
The Intel Optimizer will not work until the Intel firmware flashed on the Kingston is reset back to default using HDAT2 from my understanding.

AHCI is another option you can try. Its not that you must not use AHCI but there are times depending on the SATA controller where only IDE mode will work.

Try IDE mode and go back into HDAT2

Welcome to OCN !
post #40 of 285
Hey guys,

Fantastic work on this firmware.

Any ideas on if it could work for other Kingston V series drives? I've got a 64GB drive otw, and i'm fairly confident it wont support TRIM.

I'm not 100% on the internals ie: if they're still all intel components, but i can look into that if need be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › How to get your Kingston 40GB SSD to support TRIM