Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › How to find maximum memory speed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to find maximum memory speed?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Well thats the only part i dont get, So can some1 help me with it ? How do i start finding maximum memory speed ? what is first step ?


thanks appreciate it .
yeah yeah...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte 4890 Mushkin XP2-8000 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR2 S 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500 GB Western Digital Cavier black. Windows 7 x64 SAMSUNG HDTV LCD 46" lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX750w Cooler Master CM690 Val Gear 
  hide details  
Reply
yeah yeah...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte 4890 Mushkin XP2-8000 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR2 S 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500 GB Western Digital Cavier black. Windows 7 x64 SAMSUNG HDTV LCD 46" lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX750w Cooler Master CM690 Val Gear 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 14
Thread Starter 
............
yeah yeah...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte 4890 Mushkin XP2-8000 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR2 S 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500 GB Western Digital Cavier black. Windows 7 x64 SAMSUNG HDTV LCD 46" lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX750w Cooler Master CM690 Val Gear 
  hide details  
Reply
yeah yeah...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte 4890 Mushkin XP2-8000 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR2 S 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500 GB Western Digital Cavier black. Windows 7 x64 SAMSUNG HDTV LCD 46" lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX750w Cooler Master CM690 Val Gear 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt3
Well thats the only part i dont get, So can some1 help me with it ? How do i start finding maximum memory speed ? what is first step ?


thanks appreciate it .
The important thing to remember when testing for maximums is to lower the other factors so that it's not possible that they're interfering. For example, while finding your maximum ram speed, lower your cpu multiplier way down so that it's not a factor. Use like 8X and crank your fsb up with your ram in a 1:1 ratio. You'll hit your memory limit before you hit your fsb limit, so you'll easily find your memory limit. Btw, loosen the timings on your memory as high as they'll go while doing this.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472
The important thing to remember when testing for maximums is to lower the other factors so that it's not possible that they're interfering. For example, while finding your maximum ram speed, lower your cpu multiplier way down so that it's not a factor. Use like 8X and crank your fsb up with your ram in a 1:1 ratio. You'll hit your memory limit before you hit your fsb limit, so you'll easily find your memory limit. Btw, loosen the timings on your memory as high as they'll go while doing this.

Thanks for replay but umm hell iam begginer in this stuff so can u go easier a little bit would appreaciate it . I mean go step by step .
yeah yeah...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte 4890 Mushkin XP2-8000 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR2 S 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500 GB Western Digital Cavier black. Windows 7 x64 SAMSUNG HDTV LCD 46" lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX750w Cooler Master CM690 Val Gear 
  hide details  
Reply
yeah yeah...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte 4890 Mushkin XP2-8000 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR2 S 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500 GB Western Digital Cavier black. Windows 7 x64 SAMSUNG HDTV LCD 46" lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX750w Cooler Master CM690 Val Gear 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 14
Start here.....

FSB 200
CPU multi x9
HTT x 4
Mem divider "mem clock" 200 (400)
Vcore 1.4
Memory timings, 2.5-3-3-7 or leave them how you had it.
Memory voltage 2.8 DDR volts.

Now, all you gotta do is up your FSB. Keep going until you get unstable. Then back it off a couple. You also need to download Memtest 86+.
You can make a floppy with it, and it tests your memory for errors. Start there.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-540 @ 3.68ghz Biostar TH55 HD HD 5770 1GB Gskill 2x2G DDR3 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Raptor75 10,000rpm ThermalTake TR2 500w Antec SuperLanboy 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-540 @ 3.68ghz Biostar TH55 HD HD 5770 1GB Gskill 2x2G DDR3 @ 1600mhz 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Raptor75 10,000rpm ThermalTake TR2 500w Antec SuperLanboy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytlyf
Start here.....

FSB 200
CPU multi x9
HTT x 4
Mem divider "mem clock" 200 (400)
Vcore 1.4
Memory timings, 2.5-3-3-7 or leave them how you had it.
Memory voltage 2.8 DDR volts.

Now, all you gotta do is up your FSB. Keep going until you get unstable. Then back it off a couple. You also need to download Memtest 86+.
You can make a floppy with it, and it tests your memory for errors. Start there.

thanks for replay but i dont get it, how is that findin memory max clock ? cuz iam gettin stable at "mem clock" 333mhz without setting any ddr volt ! what u think ?
yeah yeah...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte 4890 Mushkin XP2-8000 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR2 S 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500 GB Western Digital Cavier black. Windows 7 x64 SAMSUNG HDTV LCD 46" lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX750w Cooler Master CM690 Val Gear 
  hide details  
Reply
yeah yeah...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Gigabyte 4890 Mushkin XP2-8000 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR2 S 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500 GB Western Digital Cavier black. Windows 7 x64 SAMSUNG HDTV LCD 46" lycosa 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX750w Cooler Master CM690 Val Gear 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt3
thanks for replay but i dont get it, how is that findin memory max clock ? cuz iam gettin stable at "mem clock" 333mhz without setting any ddr volt ! what u think ?
Memclock is where you set a divider. Put it back on 400mhz,lower your HTT multiplier,lower your cpu multiplier, and now turn up your frontside bus in increments of 5 mhz. (memtest is a great program to test as you go because you can load the entire program on a floppy disk. that way, you don't even need to fully boot or even load windows as you test) After you find your max, you can up the Vdimm slightly and try to push higher if you wish. Btw, don't forget to loosen the timings (increase) them all the way up in order to find your ram max. Any questions?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 14
333mhz means youre on a divider unless youre using pc2700 ram and i doubt that you are...you will have to eventually up your vdimm (memory voltage) to get stable, so whatever the voltage is on stock settings...say 2.65v you would want to raise to about 2.85v to cause the instability to go away...

but that is after the CPU voltage is not the cause, how will you know when the cpu voltage is not the cause? simple, when you attempt to boot into windows and it says file so and so is missing, just restart and give it some more voltage. when youre able to boot into windows thats how you will know your CPU is getting enough volts.

Ram on the other hand, you will know when it needs more voltage by using memtest, if you get at least 500 errors within the first minute, you need lots more voltage...BUT depeding on what ram chips you have, you could even end up putting too many volts through them causing errors, so its a try thing, try a setting and see if it works, if not, try another .
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ @ 3.0 DFI lan P UT Ultra-D Win XP Pro liquidvideo 17" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
a wal mart one truepower 2 550W Sunbeam Transformer razer diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Athlon 64 3700+ @ 3.0 DFI lan P UT Ultra-D Win XP Pro liquidvideo 17" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
a wal mart one truepower 2 550W Sunbeam Transformer razer diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalkobra
333mhz means youre on a divider unless youre using pc2700 ram and i doubt that you are...you will have to eventually up your vdimm (memory voltage) to get stable, so whatever the voltage is on stock settings...say 2.65v you would want to raise to about 2.85v to cause the instability to go away...

but that is after the CPU voltage is not the cause, how will you know when the cpu voltage is not the cause? simple, when you attempt to boot into windows and it says file so and so is missing, just restart and give it some more voltage. when youre able to boot into windows thats how you will know your CPU is getting enough volts.

Ram on the other hand, you will know when it needs more voltage by using memtest, if you get at least 500 errors within the first minute, you need lots more voltage...BUT depeding on what ram chips you have, you could even end up putting too many volts through them causing errors, so its a try thing, try a setting and see if it works, if not, try another .

So if I get like 20 errors in a minute of memtest...is that ok?
College Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 | 3.5GHz @ 1.075v 24/7 EVGA x58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 275 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 640 GB WD Caviar Black Microsoft Vista Ultimate Hanns-G HG-281DPB 28-Inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster ATCS 840 Logiech G5 Func mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
College Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 | 3.5GHz @ 1.075v 24/7 EVGA x58 SLI LE EVGA GTX 275 3 x 2 GB OCZ DDR3 1600 XMP 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x 640 GB WD Caviar Black Microsoft Vista Ultimate Hanns-G HG-281DPB 28-Inch Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Coolermaster ATCS 840 Logiech G5 Func mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopin_Nuts
So if I get like 20 errors in a minute of memtest...is that ok?
Nope, zero error tolerance is what you need to have.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › How to find maximum memory speed?