Originally Posted by jacobroufa
I can haz updatez plz?
Plastic work has begun!
Here are the body panels prior to any work starting.
Front and rear panels:
Warming up the soldering iron to take the front panel apart.
The Power, Reset and Programming (that's what the third one was) buttons are attached to the face plate by some little posts that I just have to melt the ends off of.
The small Apple logo at the top of the front panel just pops out, I want to keep this in good shape as it will be acting as the light for both power and drive activity (White and Blue LED).
And the last thing to go is a thin sheet of reflective plastic, won't be needing that anymore.
Now it's time to remove the big Apple logos as painting will be much cleaner, you can also get an idea of how scratched up the panels are. Everything is getting wet sanded with 400grit sandpaper and washed in TSP before painting tomorrow.
The logos on the side of the panel are held on with a lot of super strong adhesive and the logos are recessed so it is impossible to get them off without damaging them or the panel from the outer side. However inside there is a small hole that I used a thumb screw to slowly and carefully pop the edge of the logo up.
Door latch, Buttons, logo, and door hinge bar.
Then I used some rubbing alcohol and a plastic tire lever from a bike tool kit to ease the logo off.
Tools used and results.
Next up is making a few edits to the rear panel in order to provide airflow and room for the new IO panel. You can see the light through the area that will be removed to allow the two 80mm exhaust fans to go.
This plastic is damn tough stuff, its polycarbonate for sure as it grabbed my cutting bit snapping it off and sending it into my hand.
Being a lefty it just has to hit me in the finger I use when driving. :swearing:
Taking a look at the panel from the non-doored side of the case I can see where the old 120mm fan was drawing it air supply from (see dirt below).
So I made a bunch of hidden vents along the bottom edge of the panel using my Dremel. The blobs of poly have been sanded off like the one vent below.
So next up I thought I would see how everything looked together as the new PSU was availible.
It was here where I realized something...
The TX750 is about an inch longer that what I had designed for and overlaps the hard drives. So looks like I will be solving this little problem while paint is drying tomorrow, I am thinking that short of buying a few 2.5" SSDs I may have to settle for a single drive mount.
More to come soon.