Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion - Page 1318

post #13171 of 14327
Yeah it's possible, I would just buy the modular PSU- it would make stuff a hell of a lot easier
post #13172 of 14327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwamotto Tetsuz View Post

Has guys done cable sleving on a psu that is non modular ?

Yea, I've sleeved all the way /into/ a non-modular PSU (not recommended for novices):




It's actually no harder to sleeve a non-modular (without opening it up and voiding the warranty) as it is a modular PSU, however, I personally think it is well worth the extra few bucks to get a modular PSU.

With a non-modular you almost always end up with a bunch of cables you're not using right? What do you do with those? Do you spend the time and money sleeving them so they match or do you leave them stock and basically defeat the entire purpose of sleeving in the first place?

So ultimately, in addition to the non-sleeve related internal cable management/storage and air flow benefits, I'd argue that modular PSU's are actually /cheaper/ to sleeve [in PSU visible applications] because you only have to sleeve up the cables you actually need for your build.
post #13173 of 14327
I'd personally solder the wire off and resoder it on.
Because I know how to do that kind of stuff.

What are the bennifits of sleaving wires though? Other than looks and increaced durablity for wires

I was thinking wiring thicker wires with silver and copper lines mixed would have less resitance, therefore can increace performance
post #13174 of 14327
Oh it's purely for looks smile.gif Actually, I'm going to amend my statement slightly. It is mostly for looks, but it could easily be argued that sleeving could also help airflow because you can stack the wires up in a single sleeve to reduce their footprint (as I did with my old 24pin here, this is beneath the fancy braid shown in the pictures below):




Sleeving is /amazing/ to add "flair" to a rig. I think it's probably the best "bang for the buck" for a mod project because you can add /so/ much "pizzazz" without too much cost nor ability/effort.

This is my old rig, I'd sleeved EL Wire in the white braid loops so they glowed blue:



Inside I did some fancy braids on the 24 pin MB cable (the PSU was external) and did fully custom wires for my drive cables (they went under the MB and out the back):

Edited by Mystriss - 2/7/16 at 1:07am
post #13175 of 14327
Is there a difference between Custom Extensions and Custom PSU Cables? Searching for it i've noticed that Custom PSU Cable set is way more expensive than extensions.
post #13176 of 14327
Extensions extend the standard cables so you´ll have to use the standard cables + extension. Complete custom cables on the other hand replace the cables of a modular PSU. The complete cable sets normally contain all cables you need, Data, 24Pin, Pcie etc.
Extension as I´ve seen them only extend 24Pin for the motherboard, CPU Power and pcie graphics power.
i7 4790k
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k MSI Z97 MPower MSI R9 290X Lightning Kingston HyperX Fury 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair h100i Windows 8.1 Benq GL2760H Samsung T27B300 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CMStorm Quickfire TK Corsair RM750 Corsair Obsidian 450d Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Taito Mid-Size 3mm Logitech G230 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 4790k
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k MSI Z97 MPower MSI R9 290X Lightning Kingston HyperX Fury 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair h100i Windows 8.1 Benq GL2760H Samsung T27B300 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CMStorm Quickfire TK Corsair RM750 Corsair Obsidian 450d Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Taito Mid-Size 3mm Logitech G230 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13177 of 14327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam-It View Post

Extensions extend the standard cables so you´ll have to use the standard cables + extension. Complete custom cables on the other hand replace the cables of a modular PSU. The complete cable sets normally contain all cables you need, Data, 24Pin, Pcie etc.
Extension as I´ve seen them only extend 24Pin for the motherboard, CPU Power and pcie graphics power.

Yeah, i know. But is there any other advantages for using a custom psu cable set, besides cable management? Just to understand why they have a higher price than extensions. thumb.gif
post #13178 of 14327
Quote:
Originally Posted by br3n00cs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam-It View Post

Extensions extend the standard cables so you´ll have to use the standard cables + extension. Complete custom cables on the other hand replace the cables of a modular PSU. The complete cable sets normally contain all cables you need, Data, 24Pin, Pcie etc.
Extension as I´ve seen them only extend 24Pin for the motherboard, CPU Power and pcie graphics power.

Yeah, i know. But is there any other advantages for using a custom psu cable set, besides cable management? Just to understand why they have a higher price than extensions. thumb.gif

You aren't paying attention. You are getting way more cables and cable length with a custom PSU cable set than you do with extensions.
Edited by Lady Fitzgerald - 2/7/16 at 3:33pm
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13179 of 14327
I think it'd also be true that extensions are easier to produce (less labor) since its a 1:1 pinout versus the custom set taking time to be sure the wires cross properly or deal with double wires and whatever else is out there so more time/labor for that.
Snowy Behemoth
(24 items)
 
Media-End-Table
(13 items)
 
PC4POPS
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.24v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD WD Black 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Sata 6Gb WD Green 3TB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
LG Blu-Ray Burner Asus DVD Burner Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 HP 23" 1920x1080 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Microsoft Sidewinder Razer eXactMat SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Onkyo TX NR727 Receiver KEF KHT5001 5 Speaker System + 2 JBL Loft 40s KEF Q400b Subwoofer CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 Asus Gryphon Z87 With Armor XFX R7 250X 8GB HyperX Fury White  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper T4 Windows 10 Professional (Insider Build) 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
HP W2007 Corsair CS450M Custom Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 
Other
TP-LINK Archer T9e AC1900 Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Snowy Behemoth
(24 items)
 
Media-End-Table
(13 items)
 
PC4POPS
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.24v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD WD Black 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Sata 6Gb WD Green 3TB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
LG Blu-Ray Burner Asus DVD Burner Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 HP 23" 1920x1080 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Microsoft Sidewinder Razer eXactMat SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Onkyo TX NR727 Receiver KEF KHT5001 5 Speaker System + 2 JBL Loft 40s KEF Q400b Subwoofer CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 Asus Gryphon Z87 With Armor XFX R7 250X 8GB HyperX Fury White  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper T4 Windows 10 Professional (Insider Build) 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
HP W2007 Corsair CS450M Custom Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 
Other
TP-LINK Archer T9e AC1900 Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13180 of 14327
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post

Oh it's purely for looks smile.gif Actually, I'm going to amend my statement slightly. It is mostly for looks, but it could easily be argued that sleeving could also help airflow because you can stack the wires up in a single sleeve to reduce their footprint (as I did with my old 24pin here, this is beneath the fancy braid shown in the pictures below):




Sleeving is /amazing/ to add "flair" to a rig. I think it's probably the best "bang for the buck" for a mod project because you can add /so/ much "pizzazz" without too much cost nor ability/effort.

This is my old rig, I'd sleeved EL Wire in the white braid loops so they glowed blue:



Inside I did some fancy braids on the 24 pin MB cable (the PSU was external) and did fully custom wires for my drive cables (they went under the MB and out the back):

Thanks for the information thumb.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post

Yea, I've sleeved all the way /into/ a non-modular PSU (not recommended for novices):




It's actually no harder to sleeve a non-modular (without opening it up and voiding the warranty) as it is a modular PSU, however, I personally think it is well worth the extra few bucks to get a modular PSU.

With a non-modular you almost always end up with a bunch of cables you're not using right? What do you do with those? Do you spend the time and money sleeving them so they match or do you leave them stock and basically defeat the entire purpose of sleeving in the first place?

So ultimately, in addition to the non-sleeve related internal cable management/storage and air flow benefits, I'd argue that modular PSU's are actually /cheaper/ to sleeve [in PSU visible applications] because you only have to sleeve up the cables you actually need for your build.


Performance wize, the longer the cable the more resistance. And this will mean the wire will get hot if the computer draws large ammounts of power
So extending cables has a slight drawback.

Not like it will be enough to effect the maximum overclock though. As its too minor to do anything for imporving an oc.
Edited by Iwamotto Tetsuz - 2/7/16 at 11:34am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cables and Sleeving
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion