Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion - Page 1335

post #13341 of 14476
Thanks, unfortunately not all of them are good, I can't count how many times I've had to start over on stuff with my build, or had things not work out right tongue.gif

I just the other day realized that my MB might be sitting too high for the top to go on my case after I water-block the GPU so I'm gonna have to take the whole thing apart and somehow try to finagle shorter stand-offs in, while still leaving clearance for a 6mm thick LED tray /and/ at least two layers of my cabling heh
post #13342 of 14476
I've finished my 10-, 18- and 24-pin out diagram. I've got the numbers color coded so that I know which of the PSU side connectors the wire is coming from (green = 18-pin, yellow = 10-pin) and I have also color coded the wire (dark blue background = black, light blue background = white). Both of the PSU connectors are on an alternating black / white pattern.

I also have some connectors and pins coming from MAINFrame Custom (edit: due Monday dropped off by the postie while I was typing this up) as well as some white versions of the other connectors (6-pin, 8-pin, 10-pin) and some combs coming from modGuru.


Activities for this weekend ...
  • learn how to solder
  • OR learn how to double crimp some wires
  • go to HomeDepot for some black spray paint & hinges (unrelated projects)
  • Watch Captain America: Civil War biggrin.gif

LiqAsrt-PSU-0192.jpg
Edited by ruffhi - 5/7/16 at 8:13am
post #13343 of 14476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post

Thanks, unfortunately not all of them are good, I can't count how many times I've had to start over on stuff with my build, or had things not work out right tongue.gif

I just the other day realized that my MB might be sitting too high for the top to go on my case after I water-block the GPU so I'm gonna have to take the whole thing apart and somehow try to finagle shorter stand-offs in, while still leaving clearance for a 6mm thick LED tray /and/ at least two layers of my cabling heh

I hear that... i usually measure 50 times cut once throw away 3 rebuy and try again. Lol
post #13344 of 14476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

I've finished my 10-, 18- and 24-pin out diagram. I've got the numbers color coded so that I know which of the PSU side connectors the wire is coming from (green = 18-pin, yellow = 10-pin) and I have also color coded the wire (dark blue background = black, light blue background = white). Both of the PSU connectors are on an alternating black / white pattern.

I also have some connectors and pins coming from MAINFrame Custom (edit: due Monday dropped off by the postie while I was typing this up) as well as some white versions of the other connectors (6-pin, 8-pin, 10-pin) and some combs coming from modGuru.


Activities for this weekend ...
  • learn how to solder
  • OR learn how to double crimp some wires
  • go to HomeDepot for some black spray paint & hinges (unrelated projects)
  • Watch Captain America: Civil War biggrin.gif
]

BLASPHEME! It's Star Wars weekend, what's wrong with you!?! May the fourth be with you, Revenge of the fifth, etc. tongue.gif ( It's an annual tradition in my house heh )
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

I hear that... i usually measure 50 times cut once throw away 3 rebuy and try again. Lol

Ugh I wish it was just sleeving these days, now it's like $50 piece of brushed aluminum etc. heh
post #13345 of 14476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post

BLASPHEME! It's Star Wars weekend, what's wrong with you!?! May the fourth be with you, Revenge of the fifth, etc. tongue.gif ( It's an annual tradition in my house heh )

I (re)watched IV, V and VI leading up to the release VII. I then went back and watched I (I know! Ended up not watching some segments) and II. I just cannot bring myself to watch III

Emperor: Join me on the dark side
Anakin: No, I will not join you.
Emperor: You know you want to.
Anakin: Ok.


I also just ordered Battle of Five Armies after a 35% price drop thumb.gif

Oh ... one last thing ... you know the rest of the world says 4th of May ... and so Star Wars day doesn't work there. Neither does pi day but who ever needed an excuse to eat pie!
post #13346 of 14476
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post

Thanks, unfortunately not all of them are good, I can't count how many times I've had to start over on stuff with my build, or had things not work out right tongue.gif

I just the other day realized that my MB might be sitting too high for the top to go on my case after I water-block the GPU so I'm gonna have to take the whole thing apart and somehow try to finagle shorter stand-offs in, while still leaving clearance for a 6mm thick LED tray /and/ at least two layers of my cabling heh

I hear that... i usually measure 50 times cut once throw away 3 rebuy and try again. Lol

Dang, you're almost as bad as I am! wink.gif
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13347 of 14476
Before I go crimp crazy ... can someone give me an opinion on these ...

I stripped about 3mm off each wire end and crimped them so that the rear wings caught the insulation and the front wings caught the wire. For the double crimp, I stripped 6mm off the top wire and positioned it so that the rear wings caught the extra exposed wire. The front wings caught only wire from both pieces.

No sweat if you say the double crimped wire looks crap as I did it without looking at my pinning guide ... only to realize that 3 of the 4 double crimping wire combs need to be made from all white wire ... while the 4th is a black / white combo.

Picture info ... top left: double crimp, top right: single crimp, bottom: collective shot (the single strand looks 'short' rolleyes.gif).


LiqAsrt-PSU-0193.jpg
post #13348 of 14476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

Before I go crimp crazy ... can someone give me an opinion on these ...

I stripped about 3mm off each wire end and crimped them so that the rear wings caught the insulation and the front wings caught the wire. For the double crimp, I stripped 6mm off the top wire and positioned it so that the rear wings caught the extra exposed wire. The front wings caught only wire from both pieces.

No sweat if you say the double crimped wire looks crap as I did it without looking at my pinning guide ... only to realize that 3 of the 4 double crimping wire combs need to be made from all white wire ... while the 4th is a black / white combo.

Picture info ... top left: double crimp, top right: single crimp, bottom: collective shot (the single strand looks 'short' rolleyes.gif).


LiqAsrt-PSU-0193.jpg

The single wire crimp looks Ok but, if you are using one of those crimpers that crimps both wings at once, I would crimp the wings on the conductor a second time so the entire width of the pins are crimped.

The two wire crimp is problematic. The purpose of the longer, outside wings is to grip the insulation so it can act as a strain relief to prevent the conductor strands from bending too much. The only way I would trust that crimp would be to tie the second wire to the first wire, either with superglue or a heat shrink so the wires can flex only at the insulation, not the conductor only. The best way would be to find pins with long enough wings that would allow you to crimp the insulation and conductor side by side instead of staggered as you do. Plan B would be to crimp a single wire to the pin and make a soldered splice a little ways after the crimp after the crimp. These pins have the longest wings I've found so far.

Edit: I don't know what size wire you are using but I just tried crimping two #16 to one of the pins I linked above and failed miserably. The wire I'm using is from MainFrame Customs. Their wire has thinner insulation than most wire, enough to make crimping larger wire (or dual wires) much easier. I suspect that #18 or #20 wire from Main frame would work with the pins I linked above (I don't have any handy right now or I would test it) for you.
Edited by Lady Fitzgerald - 5/7/16 at 4:51pm
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13349 of 14476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Before I go crimp crazy ... can someone give me an opinion on these ...

I stripped about 3mm off each wire end and crimped them so that the rear wings caught the insulation and the front wings caught the wire. For the double crimp, I stripped 6mm off the top wire and positioned it so that the rear wings caught the extra exposed wire. The front wings caught only wire from both pieces.

No sweat if you say the double crimped wire looks crap as I did it without looking at my pinning guide ... only to realize that 3 of the 4 double crimping wire combs need to be made from all white wire ... while the 4th is a black / white combo.

Picture info ... top left: double crimp, top right: single crimp, bottom: collective shot (the single strand looks 'short' rolleyes.gif).


LiqAsrt-PSU-0193.jpg

@ruffhi Have you deliberately crimped the 3rd set of wings down (from the wire end).
They are not normally crimped.
That set of wings are a guide to get the pin into the connector and the way you have done yours, they may not fit.
Have you checked that crimps can be inserted into a connector in and click into place ?

post #13350 of 14476
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_fate View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Before I go crimp crazy ... can someone give me an opinion on these ...

I stripped about 3mm off each wire end and crimped them so that the rear wings caught the insulation and the front wings caught the wire. For the double crimp, I stripped 6mm off the top wire and positioned it so that the rear wings caught the extra exposed wire. The front wings caught only wire from both pieces.

No sweat if you say the double crimped wire looks crap as I did it without looking at my pinning guide ... only to realize that 3 of the 4 double crimping wire combs need to be made from all white wire ... while the 4th is a black / white combo.

Picture info ... top left: double crimp, top right: single crimp, bottom: collective shot (the single strand looks 'short' rolleyes.gif).


LiqAsrt-PSU-0193.jpg

@ruffhi Have you deliberately crimped the 3rd set of wings down (from the wire end).
They are not normally crimped.
That set of wings are a guide to get the pin into the connector and the way you have done yours, they may not fit.
Have you checked that crimps can be inserted into a connector in and click into place ?


Good catch! I never even noticed that. Those "wings" are actually to keep the pin from slipping on through the connector. With those wings crimped down the pin will just pull through the other end of the connector.
Edited by Lady Fitzgerald - 5/21/16 at 12:39am
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cables and Sleeving
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion