Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion - Page 1350

post #13491 of 14448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

There is some mathematics that helps here. I chatted about it in my log but the short answer is to reduce the inner wire length by 1/4" per 90° turn required. So ... if you want your extension to go through 270° ... reduce the inner wire length by 3/4".

The size of the arc is not important (the maths shows that the arc measurement cancels out).

Ah OK, that definitely helps, thank you. So the total degree is basically from the start point to the end point, working out the approximate degree of the bend and adjusting accordingly? Thing is, isn't it tricky with an extension knowing exactly where that start point will be, given the mess of cables behind the motherboard, so it's hard to know exactly where you'll be starting? You could easily be quite a few inches out from where you think, and if that point is higher or lower in the case, it could alter that degree measurement quite a bit couldn't it? Or am I over complicating things lol? wink.gif
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13492 of 14448
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

There is some mathematics that helps here. I chatted about it in my log but the short answer is to reduce the inner wire length by 1/4" per 90° turn required. So ... if you want your extension to go through 270° ... reduce the inner wire length by 3/4".

The size of the arc is not important (the maths shows that the arc measurement cancels out).

Ah OK, that definitely helps, thank you. So the total degree is basically from the start point to the end point, working out the approximate degree of the bend and adjusting accordingly? Thing is, isn't it tricky with an extension knowing exactly where that start point will be, given the mess of cables behind the motherboard, so it's hard to know exactly where you'll be starting? You could easily be quite a few inches out from where you think, and if that point is higher or lower in the case, it could alter that degree measurement quite a bit couldn't it? Or am I over complicating things lol? wink.gif

The 24-pin on the motherboard points straight up. The outlet on the PSU points horizontally.
Code:
   /-----\
   |     |
   |     ~~~~~~
   |
   \---[]

The [] is the PSU. The ~~~~~~~~ is the motherboard. So this particular cable run goes through 270°.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus 
Or am I over complicating things lol? wink.gif

short answer ... YES biggrin.gif.

The question is the length of the outside wire. Yes ... it will be a guess. Take your best guess ... try not to make it too long ... but long is much better than short. I guessed 10" for mine and added an 1" for a safety margin. It ended up being 3.5" inches too long frown.gif ... bad guess.

I am going to try again ... I will probably be cutting one wire and testing that for length ... before cutting the other 23.
post #13493 of 14448
This is doing my head in. I have actually got pretty proficient with the crimp tool and sleeving. It is the pin out I am having trouble with.

Found the pin out repository. I am making an adaptor so that the 24 pin cable is one to one.

Have an Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard with the 24 pin around the "wrong" way.

Have a new Corsair AX1200i to connect too.

Tried following these pictures:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=127664&page=8

But he has the power supply the other way up. I cannot do that due pump etc.

Dammit.
W.O.P.R
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K MSI Z170A Mpower Titanium Titan X Pascal Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3466C16R 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 Samsung 850 Evo Custom WC Loop Win10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift GSync Corsair K70 RGB Lux Cherry Brown  Corsair AX1200i CaseLabs S8 
MouseMouse Pad
Corsair M65 Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
W.O.P.R
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K MSI Z170A Mpower Titanium Titan X Pascal Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3466C16R 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 Samsung 850 Evo Custom WC Loop Win10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift GSync Corsair K70 RGB Lux Cherry Brown  Corsair AX1200i CaseLabs S8 
MouseMouse Pad
Corsair M65 Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13494 of 14448
So ... if Chris has the PSU one way ... and you have it the other way, then his nice 'straight' cable runs aren't going to work for you.

Imagine this picture ...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
0019-_MG_1252.jpg

... with the 24-pin connector flipped upside down. It would put a huge twist in the wires.

Another approach is shown here where you crimp the other end of the wires at the end .. not as you go. I am going to repeat my 'boot' this way ... I think I will end u pwith something cleaner than I got the first time.
post #13495 of 14448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

So ... if Chris has the PSU one way ... and you have it the other way, then his nice 'straight' cable runs aren't going to work for you.

Imagine this picture ...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
0019-_MG_1252.jpg

... with the 24-pin connector flipped upside down. It would put a huge twist in the wires.

Another approach is shown here where you crimp the other end of the wires at the end .. not as you go. I am going to repeat my 'boot' this way ... I think I will end u pwith something cleaner than I got the first time.

Hi ruffhi,

Exactly. Unfortunately with the RVE having the motherboard plug the way it is, the preferred PSU orientation and the adaptor plugs, it is impossible without twisting. Really disappointed. I cannot turn the PSU over. My pump will get in the way. Twisting the wires is going to make a long adaptor. Double pins are near on bloody impossible. Time to give up I think.
W.O.P.R
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K MSI Z170A Mpower Titanium Titan X Pascal Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3466C16R 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 Samsung 850 Evo Custom WC Loop Win10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift GSync Corsair K70 RGB Lux Cherry Brown  Corsair AX1200i CaseLabs S8 
MouseMouse Pad
Corsair M65 Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
W.O.P.R
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K MSI Z170A Mpower Titanium Titan X Pascal Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3466C16R 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 Samsung 850 Evo Custom WC Loop Win10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift GSync Corsair K70 RGB Lux Cherry Brown  Corsair AX1200i CaseLabs S8 
MouseMouse Pad
Corsair M65 Corsair 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13496 of 14448
Finally got my shipment of paracord (550) today and got started on a spare PCI-E cable for my AX1200i, too bad it has a split cable but oh well I am sure I will figure it out.

A peek on my result so far after 4 attempts.



I will redo the black sleeve without heat shrinks as they are just a pain to work with.


And a picture of the mold itself inside the socket.




First time I attempt to sleeve PSU cables, I ended up using a paperclip the once used in a tack gun.


And final result of my first fully sleeved cable I'm very pleased with the outcome!




Other side of the cable where there is a double ground I solved this with some super glue and heat shrink to avoid any threads starting to appear.




More to come when I'm all done smile.gif
Edited by j0achim - 9/1/16 at 1:01pm
post #13497 of 14448
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0achim View Post

Finally got my shipment of paracord (550) today and got started on a spare PCI-E cable for my AX1200i, too bad it has a split cable but oh well I am sure I will figure it out.

A peek on my result so far after 4 attempts.



I will redo the black sleeve without heat shrinks as they are just a pain to work with.


And a picture of the mold itself inside the socket.




First time I attempt to sleeve PSU cables, I ended up using a paperclip the once used in a tack gun.


And final result of my first fully sleeved cable I'm very pleased with the outcome!




Other side of the cable where there is a double ground I solved this with some super glue and heat shrink to avoid any threads starting to appear.




More to come when I'm all done smile.gif

Double wire on an 8pin pcie connector? Thats weird, what end is it? gpu side or psu side???
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13498 of 14448
The double wire is on the PSU side.
post #13499 of 14448
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0achim View Post

The double wire is on the PSU side.

Oh ok ok, yeah I just checked the pinout, the PSU has 8pins with 4x12V and 4xGround...
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13500 of 14448
Second cable SATA power cable, also removed one plug as I only require 3 smile.gif

With this one I had to use heat shrinks as well as superglue to make the sleeve stay in place.


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cables and Sleeving
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion