Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion - Page 722

post #7211 of 14314

Anyone know what crimp size the MDPC-X crimper is rated for? E.g 18-24AWG, or 18-30AWG, or 16-24AWG

 

And does anyone have the Molex Hand Crimp Tool (non Ratcheting)? Link. I'm unsure if I should go with it, or the MDPC crimper. It's about $42 vs $60. OR I could get a high quality crimper (PA1645) for $90 (old stock, but new). It's just like this, and here is a link to the new one.

post #7212 of 14314
I've bought a "generic" crimping tool and it's useless... especially on the ATX pins. So if I were you, I would make sure that the tool is 100% right for the job.
600
(16 items)
 
Adapters
(9 photos)
My custom water
(4 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3,8 GHz ASRock 870 Extreme3 Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB GeIL 1600 CL8 2x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT Samsung Spinpoint F3 Custom water. Very custom. Windows 7 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips 232EL natec Piranha 2 gaming :) OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Corsair Graphite 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
A4 X-748K A4 X7 500-MP Asus Xonar D1 Roccat Kave 
  hide details  
Reply
600
(16 items)
 
Adapters
(9 photos)
My custom water
(4 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3,8 GHz ASRock 870 Extreme3 Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB GeIL 1600 CL8 2x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT Samsung Spinpoint F3 Custom water. Very custom. Windows 7 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips 232EL natec Piranha 2 gaming :) OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Corsair Graphite 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
A4 X-748K A4 X7 500-MP Asus Xonar D1 Roccat Kave 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7213 of 14314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72 View Post

Anyone know what crimp size the MDPC-X crimper is rated for? E.g 18-24AWG, or 18-30AWG, or 16-24AWG

And does anyone have the Molex Hand Crimp Tool (non Ratcheting)? Link. I'm unsure if I should go with it, or the MDPC crimper. It's about $42 vs $60. OR I could get a high quality crimper (PA1645) for $90 (old stock, but new). It's just like this, and here is a link to the new one.

I've just had a look on mine and it looks like it will go up to 30AWG. It has two crimp slots, one for fan types, and the other for atx, written on the fan type is 22-30AWG and the atx type 18-22AWG.

I would recommend the MDPC crimper, it is awesome! Saved me loads of time.

Hope this helps.
Black Pearl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 640 Asus M4A87TD EVGA GTX460 4GB G-Skill 1600 7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
60GB Agility SSD, 1TB Seagate 7200.11 Windows Ultimate 64 bit Corsair AX750 Fractal Design Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Pearl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 640 Asus M4A87TD EVGA GTX460 4GB G-Skill 1600 7-7-7-24 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
60GB Agility SSD, 1TB Seagate 7200.11 Windows Ultimate 64 bit Corsair AX750 Fractal Design Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7214 of 14314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawon72 View Post

Anyone know what crimp size the MDPC-X crimper is rated for? E.g 18-24AWG, or 18-30AWG, or 16-24AWG

And does anyone have the Molex Hand Crimp Tool (non Ratcheting)? Link. I'm unsure if I should go with it, or the MDPC crimper. It's about $42 vs $60. OR I could get a high quality crimper (PA1645) for $90 (old stock, but new). It's just like this, and here is a link to the new one.
i have an mdpc-x in my hand, it can do 18-22 and 24-30awg. Don't forget the mdpc-x crimper also comes with 50male+female atx crimps and 20fan crimps. That in itself is worth it as mdpc-x crimps are top of the notch, and have bigger "wings"
also just so you know, if you buy the crimper you have to pay level3 shipping from nils
Edited by mordocai rp - 5/9/12 at 4:21am
post #7215 of 14314
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaboy607 View Post
I've just had a look on mine and it looks like it will go up to 30AWG. It has two crimp slots, one for fan types, and the other for atx, written on the fan type is 24-30AWG and the atx type 18-22AWG.
I would recommend the MDPC crimper, it is awesome! Saved me loads of time.

Thanks +rep (i'm assuming the you meant 24-30AWG).

 

I think It will crimp about 1.5x faster than the Molex tool, so it may be worth it in time saved. But I pretty sure the Molex tool will crimp better since it has a slot for each gauge. See this for a picture guide of it in action. The insulation crimp may look funny, but it is considered acceptable(pg. 20 fig 9-20). The MDPC insulation crimp seems to be marginal, however Lutro0 said its between fig. 9-17 and 9-23, which is probably be acceptable as well. Molex also mentions that piercing the insulation may be considered acceptable for hand tools.

 

Also, I think the Molex tool is actually 14-24AWG, but I can't confirm. And I'm not entirely sure how the tool's measurements work tongue.gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordocai rp View Post
i have an mdpc-x in my hand, it can do 18-22 and 24-30awg. Don't forget the mdpc-x crimper also comes with 50male+female atx crimps and 20fan crimps. That in itself is worth it as mdpc-x crimps are top of the notch, and have bigger "wings"
also just so you know, if you buy the crimper you have to pay level3 shipping from nils

The pins are only worth about $6-$8. And now that I know about the shipping, the crimper will cost ~$64 after removing the cost of pins.

 

 

Both the MDPC and Molex tool are completely die cast (from what I can tell, but im no expert), whereas the $90 PA1645 has a die cast frame, a 4 piece milled crimp die, and is made in W.-Germany. The final prices for the crimpers are approximately: $45 Molex, $65 MDPC, $90 PA1645, and possibly $35 Molex (used, like new). The price of the Paladin tool isn't looking so bad when compared to the MDPC tool. But It's double the Molex tool...


Edited by nawon72 - 5/9/12 at 1:19pm
post #7216 of 14314
So my tool has 3 slots (it's double-action) as follows:

0,5mm2 - 1mm2
that's AWG 16/17 to AWG 20

1,1mm2 - 2,5mm2
that's AWG 13 to AWG 16

4mm2 - 6mm2
that's AWG 9 to AWG 11

and it's useless!

Tab Connector Crimper YYT11 - avoid it.
600
(16 items)
 
Adapters
(9 photos)
My custom water
(4 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3,8 GHz ASRock 870 Extreme3 Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB GeIL 1600 CL8 2x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT Samsung Spinpoint F3 Custom water. Very custom. Windows 7 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips 232EL natec Piranha 2 gaming :) OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Corsair Graphite 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
A4 X-748K A4 X7 500-MP Asus Xonar D1 Roccat Kave 
  hide details  
Reply
600
(16 items)
 
Adapters
(9 photos)
My custom water
(4 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3,8 GHz ASRock 870 Extreme3 Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB GeIL 1600 CL8 2x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT Samsung Spinpoint F3 Custom water. Very custom. Windows 7 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips 232EL natec Piranha 2 gaming :) OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Corsair Graphite 600T 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
A4 X-748K A4 X7 500-MP Asus Xonar D1 Roccat Kave 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7217 of 14314
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrwng View Post

has anyone tried painting the individual wires, so they match the sleeving? i am doing okay (i think) in the sleeving part, but i want the colors to "pop" more, because of possible color bleeding.
the colors i am going to use are white and aquamarine (MDPC), and so i want to know if i can paint the wires those colors. other suggestions welcome. flexibility i guess should be allowed, as well, which is why i am looking into painting, not covering them with tape.
i thought about recrimping new wires (custom work with actual colors), but for my next build i do not want to break a PSU testing recrimping.

I recommend purchasing some ultra thin 3:1 1/8" heatshrink to cover each wire prior to sleeving. Did this on my first sleeve job, because the sleeve was cheap/poor quality. Takes double the time (big pain on the 24-Pin), but its nice to not see the red/yellow/black
post #7218 of 14314
while yall are on the subject of tools, can yall fill me in on the tools i need/wanna have to make sleeving easy? im about to order paracord, and i know i need heatstrink, what other tools/ items will i want to have before starting sleeving? with paracord will the colored wires show thru? or will they be alright? ima sleeve about 6 fans, id like to sleeve sata cables but if not thats fine, my psu and just a few other wires running thru my case, about how much is good for that? i had 200ft of green and 100ft of black but i feel that is wayyyy too much.

ill most likely do most green on the psu besides like 1-2 wires and all fans will be green
post #7219 of 14314
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterboy View Post

while yall are on the subject of tools, can yall fill me in on the tools i need/wanna have to make sleeving easy? im about to order paracord, and i know i need heatstrink, what other tools/ items will i want to have before starting sleeving? with paracord will the colored wires show thru? or will they be alright? ima sleeve about 6 fans, id like to sleeve sata cables but if not thats fine, my psu and just a few other wires running thru my case, about how much is good for that? i had 200ft of green and 100ft of black but i feel that is wayyyy too much.
ill most likely do most green on the psu besides like 1-2 wires and all fans will be green
you cant use 550paracord on sata cables. No colors will bleed through. All you need for a ghetto sleeving session is staples, and a ligher. Lighter to heatshrink and melt the frays off of paracord and staples to remove atxpins. I used ~150ft to sleeve my psu 24pin+8pin+6pin
post #7220 of 14314
yea i know you cant do the sata cables with that type, i found that out, ill leave them black, so i dont have to buy these crimping tools or whatever people are talking about? so yea ill prolly just buy 200ft then so i have more than enough.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cables and Sleeving
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Cable Sleeving Gallery & Discussion