Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] --The Asus P6X58D Premium & E Thread--
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] --The Asus P6X58D Premium & E Thread-- - Page 279

post #2781 of 6378
^^^ Nah, just voltages.
post #2782 of 6378
Yeah, currently I have them disabled like in xmisery's settings, but I'm curious why they should stay disabled.

In the i7 OC thread, chadamir said to re-enable things like EIST and C1E after overclocking, so I was wondering what exactly they do and if it would be good to have them on since they're on at stock settings.
Taijin Kyofusho
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Crucial Ballistix Elite 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB MyDigitalSSD 960GB NZXT Kraken X61 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro LG 34UC88-B Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Red Corsair RM750x 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT S340 Corsair Sabre RGB HiVi Swans M10 
  hide details  
Reply
Taijin Kyofusho
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Crucial Ballistix Elite 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB MyDigitalSSD 960GB NZXT Kraken X61 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro LG 34UC88-B Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Red Corsair RM750x 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT S340 Corsair Sabre RGB HiVi Swans M10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2783 of 6378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipadoza View Post
77 isnt what you can call "HOT" but for a NH-D14 it is quite warm, is your room ambient temp high or perhaps u should take a look at the airflow in your case. but 77 is fine if thats what it peaks at (will most likely reach~80-82 after several hours of stress and will decrease over time). But you can probably go 3-5 degrees lower if u tweak ur airflow a bit

All in all
IDle temps: are ok, can be lower with your cooler
Stress temps are ok too nothing near the dangerzone.

Mine burns at about 76 in its highest peak and runs an average of 65'ish with normal 100% usage (renders and such) and it idles at 41-43


As for your gpu personally id get the 470 rather then the 460 as the 460 is just an underclocked version of the 470.
Yes itll be coolerand less noisy but id rather have RAW POWER then some sissy lil brother version of a gpu

In case your thinking about an OC to 4.2 then forget about it, as you will see a minimum increase of 10 degrees. Probably only posible if your willing to run your cpu at 80-90 degrees or either extreme aircooling or water cooling.
Thanks for that feedback - I have all my fans on Max now ( system is not quiet, since all fans are in the 1200 RPM range ) - and now it's peaking at 75' max, ranging between 73 - 74.

For an NH-D14, I would like to be peaking at 70' max with prime95 full load - unrealistic?

I may not have done the Thermal Paste correctly, I do remember putting some covering the CPU, side to side, and THEN the dab in the middle.

It's really bugging me right now, I'm hessitant to take it apart merely because this mobo was hard to screw on to the case, the mounting screws didn't line up correctly, and it was a real pain putting the mobo in, it honestly took over an hour to finally get it to stick.

This is not my 1st build - I think the CM 690 II could've used another .5mm or for the bracket to fit correctly.

As far as the 470, it runs way too hot, it's power hungry, and I considered it before, but for my needs, the 460 will suffice. I'm not a big gamer, and will hardly game on this computer, if I ever do game down the line, running the 460's in sli, get near 5970 performance ( outperforms a single 5970 depending on the game like Far Cry 2. ) I'm on a 47" 1080p screen, so that will more then meet my needs.

This review is for the 768mb in SLI - I'll be getting 1GB cards
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...0-sli-review/8
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/11

Thanks for the suggestion though, I did consider a 470 for a while, but stuck it out and waited for the 460 as it runs cooler, uses less power, and it's a pretty good performer.
Edited by 2010rig - 7/24/10 at 12:32pm
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2784 of 6378
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 View Post
Yeah, currently I have them disabled like in xmisery's settings, but I'm curious why they should stay disabled.

In the i7 OC thread, chadamir said to re-enable things like EIST and C1E after overclocking, so I was wondering what exactly they do and if it would be good to have them on since they're on at stock settings.
C1E and EIST allow the processor to drop the multiplier to 12 at idle. If you use it in conjunction with the voltage offset function, you can allow for the voltage to drop at idle as well. It is a good set of power saving functions that keep temps lower at idle as well, but can hinder overclocks for some people. I use them 24/7 with a 21x200 overclock.

I went into it waaaaaaaaaaaay back here :

http://www.overclock.net/8619345-post766.html
post #2785 of 6378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post
Thanks for that feedback - I have all my fans on Max now ( system is not quiet, since all fans are in the 1200 RPM range ) - and now it's peaking at 75' max, ranging between 73 - 74.

For an NH-D14, I would like to be peaking at 70' max with prime95 full load - unrealistic?

I may not have done the Thermal Paste correctly, I do remember putting some covering the CPU, side to side, and THEN the dab in the middle.

It's really bugging me right now, I'm hessitant to take it apart merely because this mobo was hard to screw on to the case, the mounting screws didn't line up correctly, and it was a real pain putting the mobo in, it honestly took over an hour to finally get it to stick.

This is not my 1st build - I think the CM 690 II could've used another .5mm or for the bracket to fit correctly.

As far as the 470, it runs way too hot, it's power hungry, and I considered it before, but for my needs, the 460 will suffice. I'm not a big gamer, and will hardly game on this computer, if I ever do game down the line, running the 460's in sli, get near 5970 performance ( outperforms a single 5970 depending on the game like Far Cry 2. ) I'm on a 47" 1080p screen, so that will more then meet my needs.

This review is for the 768mb in SLI - I'll be getting 1GB cards
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...0-sli-review/8
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/11

Thanks for the suggestion though, I did consider a 470 for a while, but stuck it out and waited for the 460 as it runs cooler, uses less power, and it's a pretty good performer.
Its not unrealistic to want your cpu to peak at 70'ish in fact mine kind of does its just a combination of proper ambient room temp and airflow. I have a haf 932 which obviously will beat a CM 690 II but still. We both have the best air cooling available on the market so.

But still your temperatures are fine. your cpu may get up to 100 degrees not like thats something you want to have as a deadline but your well below the temps 70 is good 80 is even still ok 90 is entering the danger zone and 100 is off limits besides that its what you feel comfi with. Personally I dont like it reaching 85+ pref. not even above 80 and im well satisfied with 70 when rendering.


As for the heat of a 470 i have to agree, its not just hot its insane. Imagine a hot summer night ambient temps of 26-28 degrees in your room and a 470 at your feet blowing out 80 degrees of hot air = No fun I assure you.

But my main purpose of heavy hardware is rendering and simulations so ill just live with the pain its all worth it in the end (also explains the 12gb ram)

As for power consumption yes, it eats loads. but SLI 460's will eat alot of power too and unless u place them on the 1st and 3rd pci slot you will cause them too heat up alot too, also pricewise it isnt cheaper as a 470 and Sli will never be simply 1+1 = 2 but more like 1.5'ish not sure even tbh but still SLI still isnt optimized to make two make your software peform better as with one sometimes its even the opposite but ye its your choice

If you dont want heat or noise then go with the 460 If it wont be a heavy game pc anyways and u can always upgrade/change ^^

As for noisy fans try looking up fans with Low DB high airflow and just replace the whole lot if you dont mind noise stuff your case with kaze 2000/3000's and you'll have a yetengine destroying heat and your ears at the same time
Lipadoza
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium MSI GTX470 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz 7-8-7-20 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Samsung 1tb Raid0 1x Samsung 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung 23"6 2433LW Trust 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master 1000watt Cooler Master HAF 932 Trust Predator My cat =D 
  hide details  
Reply
Lipadoza
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4Ghz Asus P6X58D Premium MSI GTX470 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz 7-8-7-20 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Samsung 1tb Raid0 1x Samsung 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Samsung 23"6 2433LW Trust 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master 1000watt Cooler Master HAF 932 Trust Predator My cat =D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2786 of 6378
I think I may take the plunge and re-do the Thermal Paste just for my peace of mind knowing that it's on correctly.

Since I don't game heavily, in fact i won't be gaming at all anytime soon, the 460 makes more sense for my current needs - SLI wouldn't come into the picture until later down the road if at all. I did get a 750w PSU just in case, so I got that covered.

I'm having a hard time choosing which one to go with though, since the MSI Cyclone is 15% quieter then the stock 460, but obviously it wouldn't be an ideal choice for SLI purposes down the road. The other one is the EVGA EE - but apparently that one is louder.

Anyway - After 5 hours of prime95, here's what my temps look like:



This is with all fans on MAX, so it's not exactly quiet - though when I turn on the 360, wow - that thing is LOUD and completely tunes out the computer LOL

Not sure if you saw my current cooling set up, which I spent around $210 with fans and case - I am actually considering getting an HAF X instead or possibly a 932 but wondering if it'll make a big difference to switch, and if it would be worth the trouble.





If I were to return the fans - there's a restocking fee from Newegg, then, I'd have to sell the CM 690, and put the whole build back together. Not sure if it's worth the trouble for a potential couple degree drop.

Question - when you're rendering - how much load does the CPU use, and what are your temps like? Anywhere near Prime95 type of loads?

UPDATE: After 10 hours of run Prime95 I paused it - but didn't realize this stopped it, adn couldn't resume, so far there hasn't been any BOSDs, I will let it run again tomorrow.

however - I got a question for you guys - when the cpu is overclocked - the computer doesn't feel as snappy if you know what I mean? Like browsing the net, or opening up Apps doesn't get done as smoothly as running on stock - does that make sense?

I know I'm using the settings that are great for his set up,and i'm sure I could tweak mine to have a smoother performance - but what exactly would I start tweaking in the BIOS?
Edited by 2010rig - 7/24/10 at 10:40pm
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2787 of 6378
1st post but long-time lurker.

Just built a system with this MB and an i930.

Followed xmisery's (thanks dude, you rock!) recipe for a 4.01 OC and was stable immediately... I was amazed how easy it was. It's Prime and Everest Stress (my quick and dirty heat producer) stable and after a false start with some high temps (Coolermaster 212+) I slapped a Noctua DH-14 and one day after HS swap I'm idling at a ridiculously low CPU of 30C with 56C max on the Everest stress (that's with case fans full blast...with silent setting it's 36-63.)

I want to work on optimizing my ram now and I'm a bit confused with some of the lingo (my first i7 9xx chip after my old E8400.)

My ram is 7-7-7-20 1T 1333 Corsair (TR3X6G1333C7) and is currently running at 1531 (as per xmisery's settings) but I've left the timings on auto and they went to 9-9-9-24 1T.

I want to tighten those up a bit but I'm a bit confused on the new (to me) two DRAM voltage settings on this board: QPI/DRAM and DRAM BUS. I have those at 1.21875 and 1.64 respectively.

What voltages should I start changing for better timings? Is 7-7-7-20 a pipe dream for this 1333 DRAM @ 1531?

Edited: Btw... I did try 7-7-7-20 without upping the voltage and although it works just fine on the desktop and a couple of games, the Everest system memory stress returns a "hardware failure" within 2minutes... 9-9-9-24 runs that stress test all day.
Edited by Cisco99 - 7/24/10 at 11:44pm
Stryker
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k MSI Z87-GD65 Gigabyte HD 7970 16GB (2X8) of Gskill Trident X 2400-CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M5 Extreme 256 GB SSD (boot , Photoshop... OCZ Vertex 3 256 GB SSD (Games) Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Photos, music, videos, a... Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8 Pro Samsung 245t MS Sidewinder X6 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseAudio
CM Storm Stryker Cyborg MMO7 Corsair 1500 USB headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k MSI Z87-GD65 Gigabyte HD 7970 16GB (2X8) of Gskill Trident X 2400-CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M5 Extreme 256 GB SSD (boot , Photoshop... OCZ Vertex 3 256 GB SSD (Games) Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Photos, music, videos, a... Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8 Pro Samsung 245t MS Sidewinder X6 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseAudio
CM Storm Stryker Cyborg MMO7 Corsair 1500 USB headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2788 of 6378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco99 View Post
1st post but long-time lurker.

Just built a system with this MB and an i930.

Followed xmisery's (thanks dude, you rock!) recipe for a 4.01 OC and was stable immediately... I was amazed how easy it was. It's Prime and Everest Stress (my quick and dirty heat producer) stable and after a false start with some high temps (Coolermaster 212+) I slapped a Noctua DH-14 and one day after HS swap I'm idling at a ridiculously low CPU of 30C with 56C max on the Everest stress (that's with case fans full blast...with silent setting it's 36-63.)

I want to work on optimizing my ram now and I'm a bit confused with some of the lingo (my first i7 9xx chip after my old E8400.)

My ram is 7-7-7-20 1T 1333 Corsair (TR3X6G1333C7) and is currently running at 1531 (as per xmisery's settings) but I've left the timings on auto and they went to 9-9-9-24 1T.

I want to tighten those up a bit but I'm a bit confused on the new (to me) two DRAM voltage settings on this board: QPI/DRAM and DRAM BUS. I have those at 1.21875 and 1.64 respectively.

What voltages should I start changing for better timings? Is 7-7-7-20 a pipe dream for this 1333 DRAM @ 1531?
Damn, you're getting way better temps than I am, and I just did the exact same overclock... u're also asking the same question I have - hope someone can shed some light on it
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2789 of 6378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post
Damn, you're getting way better temps than I am, and I just did the exact same overclock... u're also asking the same question I have - hope someone can shed some light on it
Nah, our temps are about the same. We're just reporting different things. Everest CPU temps are the same as the Asus Probe CPU temps which are always lower than the individual cores... and that's what Real Temp reports.

Your Real Temp numbers are about the same as mine with Everest Julia FPU running.
Stryker
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k MSI Z87-GD65 Gigabyte HD 7970 16GB (2X8) of Gskill Trident X 2400-CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M5 Extreme 256 GB SSD (boot , Photoshop... OCZ Vertex 3 256 GB SSD (Games) Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Photos, music, videos, a... Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8 Pro Samsung 245t MS Sidewinder X6 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseAudio
CM Storm Stryker Cyborg MMO7 Corsair 1500 USB headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k MSI Z87-GD65 Gigabyte HD 7970 16GB (2X8) of Gskill Trident X 2400-CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M5 Extreme 256 GB SSD (boot , Photoshop... OCZ Vertex 3 256 GB SSD (Games) Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Photos, music, videos, a... Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8 Pro Samsung 245t MS Sidewinder X6 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseAudio
CM Storm Stryker Cyborg MMO7 Corsair 1500 USB headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2790 of 6378
Quote:
this mb sucks if you want to get 5GHz on a 920, thats why i got a 980X

also what kind of cooling are you going to use ?
Using air/heatsink.
Can get to 4.73 now, but this is not enough.
Seems to lock up too much when trying to run benchmarks.
Any suggestive settings?
Edited by Skillet - 7/25/10 at 12:17am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › [Official] --The Asus P6X58D Premium & E Thread--