underglow part two ~
So lets pick up where we left off. Next I'm cutting a thin piece of wood to fit on the floor around all the ccfls and so on. Then a nice piece of sheet metal to seal it all off and neaten the edges. Here we go.
Cut to size and roughly marked out.
Easy work with the jigsaw. I also drilled a hole straight through the wood for the center of the feet. It was after that that I ran into a slight problem.
With the rest of the case involved, the wood was too flush up against the front. Oh whatever will I do.
Once again a rough cut with the jigsaw and time for a break. But when I got back...
I found that my dog had taken over my job. I usualy hate seeing people post pics of their cats in logs, (honestly no one cares). But I decided to show this cause my dog could quite easily eat all your cats. Believe me!
Once he removed himself, I noticed he'd been for a swim recently, (sigh).
Back to it and time for some metal.
Used an angle grinder to cut this. Easier to cut very straight lines with it. At least I thought so at the time...
All squared off nicely! Now I finally have some green ccfls so time to get to work on fitting them.
First up I need to remove them from the tubes as the tube is too high to fit under the sheet metal.
Cut around one end with a hacksaw then pulled the tube through. Had to take the wires out of the connector to get it through the other end but that was easy done.
Positioned them with blutac and waited for dark just to see what they'd look like but I'm not sharing yet (though you've probably already seen the finished pics anyway hey).
Did some more cutting to the wood to make them fit and made a cutout in the corner of the floor to let the wires through.
Now with the wood finally about the right shape, I could screw it to the floor properly. To do this I bought some short screws and either used holes already in the floor or drilled some new ones where there weren't any. Then I just screwed straight into the wood.
Next problem was finding green 10cm ccfls. I finaly did then wouldn't you know it, they came into stock in one of the main stores I shop at straight after. Once again, (sigh).
Kept one in the tube as it won't have to squeeze under any sheet metal in the bottom of the front bezel. More on that in a later post.
Fits nicely just like the 30cms. Only issue here is that I need an extension for this one to reach the inverter but that won't be to hard to get.
This pic just shows a little extra cutting I did around the wood to make extra room for the ccfl cables to run. Lastly, here are some shots of the ready to go cold cathodes.
Only sleeved the part that will be shown on these.
Inverters will be held on with velcro.
And power cables fully sleeved aswell.
Finally, these adapters will allow me to connect both sets of ccfls to the same switch. They look old because I found them in dads shed. Will still work so all good!
Done!Edited by FalloutBoy - 6/30/10 at 7:19pm