Overclock.net banner

QX9770 vs Intel i7 920

10K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  DaClownie 
#1 ·
hello there

i was thinking what cpu is faster when it comes down to the QX9770 OR the intel core i7920 my friend will be buliding a rig soon he is looking at these 2 cpus i told him to get the i7920 but he keeps looking more near the QX9770

hes uses for the rig are
movies
games
HD video
video editing
video encoding
and ect ect

any help would be good thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
The 920, rather easily. The only benefit of going with that particular older Core 2 Quad is the unlocked multi.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsycoma View Post
I think he should wait for Gulftown 32nm on the 16th of March.
I highly recommend this course of action as well. As for the QX9770, I wouldn't buy older tech anyways, so it should be down to an i7 920 or a Gulftown (6-core).

#6 ·
Quote:

hmmmmmm forgot about that
ill let hmmm know

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehmaggot View Post
The 920, rather easily. The only benefit of going with that particular older Core 2 Quad is the unlocked multi.
ya thats why he is looking at it so much

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post
I'd go i7 then, 8 functioning threads > 4.
how high tho would a QX9770 have to OC tho to come close to I7 920 with HT

#10 ·
920 or 980x easy. If your friend buys a QX9770 kick him where the sun doesn't shine lol.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Somenamehere View Post
Waste to buy into old tech.
ima keep trying to tell him to get the 920 or the new intels that come out soon

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by liberalelephant View Post
920 or 980x easy. If your friend buys a QX9770 kick him where the sun doesn't shine lol.
lol will do sir
wont be to happy if he gets it

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolwaters View Post
oh crap need to sell my 3 month old build now cuz its out of date!!!

*** 6 cores??? so 12 with HT?
this baby is mine.
lol your find
for now untell march 13th

#15 ·
To be honest I don't even know why I upgraded to Core i7 & DDR3 when I had a QX9650 and Q9650 because I can't see a difference.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
To be honest I don't even know why I upgraded to Core i7 & DDR3 when I had a QX9650 and Q9650 because I can't see a difference.
i know i had to upgrade from my old AMD x4 9950 ya those are all yery good cpus you had there

system cpu he has now and is not cutting it anymore its a AMD x3 8750

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
I dont see a difference between my Q9650 at 4.2GHz and my i7 920 equv Xeon at 4.2GHz. But to buy a new system, and go Yorkfield Extreme edition is pointless IMO when i7-i5-i3 is out.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
I dont see a difference between my Q9650 at 4.2GHz and my i7 920 equv Xeon at 4.2GHz. But to buy a new system, and go Yorkfield Extreme edition is pointless IMO when i7-i5-i3 is out.
ya ture i know some i7s with a good mobo could get you to 3.8 to 4.2 easy if your not a OC noob like me lol

#20 ·
Quote:

If people wait to buy parts based on what is comming out around the corner, no one would ever buy parts, 2 weeks after you buy something it is outdated. there is always new parts coming out. if what you are looking for is good enough for you buy it, no need to wait.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by swat565 View Post
Unless he can get some INSANE DEAL on the QX9770(like 150-200 dollars, which I doubt) GET A i7 920, or just wait for the 32nm coming out.
lol no deals on a qx9770 here
i hate taxes its about 550.00 to 850.00 for one up here on ebay or in a pc store or more

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4055 View Post
Have him go i7.
ima keep trying to take him down that road or when i get the 980x down the road ill sell him my i7 i can get it stable but he will need good air or water to get 4.4ghz cool hmmmmmmmmmm

#25 ·
He should go i7 if he does a lot of video encoding and what not, thats VERY CPU intensive. And for what its worth, tell him to ignore a extreme chip if he goes LGA775 again, better off getting a Q9550 or a Q9650 from Microcenter. They typically OC better, run cooler, and cost way less.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.