Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Asus CrossHair IV Formula/Extreme Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Asus CrossHair IV Formula/Extreme Club - Page 1182

post #11811 of 13131
Sorry, I should have posted better info, what can I say dinner was on the table lol. Again sorry.

The SSD requires AHCI simply set bios for 1-4 in AHCI and it's up to you weather or not you want to install another Raid array or just run one SSD.

For those on the fence with SSD's, here's an excellent (HIGHLY recommended) guide by our own Sean Webster http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds it has everything you'll need and more trust me. Setting up my Force GT Red array was no hassle at all. Just some time researching through this guide as I'm sure most other newbs to SSD's would/SHOULD do. Seriously, this guide is awesome and so is Sean.

On another note, for anyone looking for 8GBs of some nice quality Ram I can confirm GSkill 17000 XLD in my sig run 24 hr Prime95 stable along with countless runs of LinX, SuperPi you name it. They are a little pricey and you have to grab em when you see em because they never seem to last long but they do fly right along. Even at stock timings they take over where the ECO's had left off when fully OC'd. I'm looking forward to another couple weekends seeing how high/low these will go.
Edited by The Sandman - 3/8/12 at 7:00pm
 
Bruce
(14 items)
 
Ryzen Build
(20 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6350 Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 GTX220 G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD 9-11-9-28... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro WD20EFRX 64M Red x4 raid 10 WD5001AALS Blk Asus DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 Evo R2 Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Asus  Logitech MK300 
PowerCase
Corsair HX500 Corsair 330R Titainium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800x Crosshair VI Hero Diamond 7970 GSkill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe Samsung 840 SSD Corsair GT SSD WD 2TB Black 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD 4TB Red EK-FB Asus C6H Monoblock XSPC GPU Razor WB XSPC RX 360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RS 360 XSPC EX140 D5 Vario Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1850 rpm 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 10 Pro Asus VE248H x2 EVGA 850 G2 Xigmatek Elysium 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Bruce
(14 items)
 
Ryzen Build
(20 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6350 Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 GTX220 G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD 9-11-9-28... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro WD20EFRX 64M Red x4 raid 10 WD5001AALS Blk Asus DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 Evo R2 Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Asus  Logitech MK300 
PowerCase
Corsair HX500 Corsair 330R Titainium 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1800x Crosshair VI Hero Diamond 7970 GSkill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe Samsung 840 SSD Corsair GT SSD WD 2TB Black 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD 4TB Red EK-FB Asus C6H Monoblock XSPC GPU Razor WB XSPC RX 360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC RS 360 XSPC EX140 D5 Vario Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1850 rpm 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 10 Pro Asus VE248H x2 EVGA 850 G2 Xigmatek Elysium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11812 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post

Sorry, I should have posted better info, what can I say dinner was on the table lol. Again sorry.
The SSD requires AHCI simply set bios for 1-4 in AHCI and it's up to you weather or not you want to install another Raid array or just run one SSD.
For those on the fence with SSD's, here's an excellent (HIGHLY recommended) guide by our own Sean Webster http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds it has everything you'll need and more trust me. Setting up my Force GT Red array was no hassle at all. Just some time researching through this guide as I'm sure most other newbs to SSD's would/SHOULD do. Seriously, this guide is awesome and so is Sean.
Thanks Sandman, yea dinner time is that time of the day... thumb.gif
I know that thread and I dont really have a problem on buying the SSD nor seting it up, because of knowing it requires AHCI and that I cant use AHCI if I have a RAID array im asking if there would be any problem in running all the SSD necessary features in Port 2 if the BIOS is in RAID mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post

I don't have SSD so take this with a grain of salt, but I do believe that you can run SSD anywhere 1-6 with RAID installed. If not I would say to run it on 5 or 6 and set those apart from RAID. smile.gif
~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

Thanks Ceadder, I also heard that there wouldnt be any problem...
Im still thinking if I should buy the SSD cause my WD Blue are giving me amazing speeds and dont know if I would see the difference... Prolly the difference is bigger with small files...
post #11813 of 13131

AHCI is part of Raid

If you set ports 1-4 to Raid and loaded your Raid drivers then you have AHCI

plug your new ssd into 1 of the 4 Raided ports and your single ssd will run in AHCI

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post


Thanks Sandman, yea dinner time is that time of the day... thumb.gif
I know that thread and I dont really have a problem on buying the SSD nor seting it up, because of knowing it requires AHCI and that I cant use AHCI if I have a RAID array im asking if there would be any problem in running all the SSD necessary features in Port 2 if the BIOS is in RAID mode.
Thanks Ceadder, I also heard that there wouldnt be any problem...
Im still thinking if I should buy the SSD cause my WD Blue are giving me amazing speeds and dont know if I would see the difference... Prolly the difference is bigger with small files...


 

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4389 MHz Crosshair V Formula 2 @ XFX-695X-ZDDC Crossfire G.skill F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 @ MKNSSD120GB-DX SSD SATA III Raid 0 2 WD 640GB Blacks SATA III Raid 0 2-Liteon iHAS424-98 LS Zalman 9900 Max Red 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64 bit SP1 Samsung PX2370 Logitech MK700 Thermaltake TR2 850w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech M705 Supreme FX X-Fi 2 AFT card reader USB 3.0 PRO-57U 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4389 MHz Crosshair V Formula 2 @ XFX-695X-ZDDC Crossfire G.skill F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 @ MKNSSD120GB-DX SSD SATA III Raid 0 2 WD 640GB Blacks SATA III Raid 0 2-Liteon iHAS424-98 LS Zalman 9900 Max Red 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64 bit SP1 Samsung PX2370 Logitech MK700 Thermaltake TR2 850w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech M705 Supreme FX X-Fi 2 AFT card reader USB 3.0 PRO-57U 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11814 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post

AHCI is part of Raid
If you set ports 1-4 to Raid and loaded your Raid drivers then you have AHCI
plug your new ssd into 1 of the 4 Raided ports and your single ssd will run in AHCI


 



This was what I was looking for to know, thanks tweeky. thumb.gif
post #11815 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post

AHCI is part of Raid
If you set ports 1-4 to Raid and loaded your Raid drivers then you have AHCI
plug your new ssd into 1 of the 4 Raided ports and your single ssd will run in AHCI


 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post

Thanks Sandman, yea dinner time is that time of the day... thumb.gif

I know that thread and I dont really have a problem on buying the SSD nor seting it up, because of knowing it requires AHCI and that I cant use AHCI if I have a RAID array im asking if there would be any problem in running all the SSD necessary features in Port 2 if the BIOS is in RAID mode.

Thanks Ceadder, I also heard that there wouldnt be any problem...

Im still thinking if I should buy the SSD cause my WD Blue are giving me amazing speeds and dont know if I would see the difference... Prolly the difference is bigger with small files...



Woulda repped you young man, but... I'm blind. Just double checked and lo an behold there is the Rep button. laugher.gif

~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11816 of 13131

reps for helping are always nice thanks

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4389 MHz Crosshair V Formula 2 @ XFX-695X-ZDDC Crossfire G.skill F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 @ MKNSSD120GB-DX SSD SATA III Raid 0 2 WD 640GB Blacks SATA III Raid 0 2-Liteon iHAS424-98 LS Zalman 9900 Max Red 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64 bit SP1 Samsung PX2370 Logitech MK700 Thermaltake TR2 850w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech M705 Supreme FX X-Fi 2 AFT card reader USB 3.0 PRO-57U 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4389 MHz Crosshair V Formula 2 @ XFX-695X-ZDDC Crossfire G.skill F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 @ MKNSSD120GB-DX SSD SATA III Raid 0 2 WD 640GB Blacks SATA III Raid 0 2-Liteon iHAS424-98 LS Zalman 9900 Max Red 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64 bit SP1 Samsung PX2370 Logitech MK700 Thermaltake TR2 850w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech M705 Supreme FX X-Fi 2 AFT card reader USB 3.0 PRO-57U 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11817 of 13131
Hi,

I have a Crosshair IV formula and recently it started to not start up or post unless I hit the reset button after a failed power on. After that even when it was shut off but still juiced it would post and start normally. The only thing I changed recently was the ram from Crucial 1600mhz (4x2gb) ram 8-8-8-24 1.65v to Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (2x4gb) 7-8-7-24 1.5V ram. So I got curious and plugged half the old ram back in and it posted normally from the first try (actually it failed at first but that was because the new timings needed to be put in). I tested this a few times over and it seems fixed. Does anyone know if this Corsair Vengeance ram is not compatible? I checked the compatible QV list and didn't see it there. I mean it still works with it but first boot needs a reset button pressed. Maybe it needs more voltage than 1.5v?

Thanks.
post #11818 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post

Hi,

I have a Crosshair IV formula and recently it started to not start up or post unless I hit the reset button after a failed power on. After that even when it was shut off but still juiced it would post and start normally. The only thing I changed recently was the ram from Crucial 1600mhz (4x2gb) ram 8-8-8-24 1.65v to Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (2x4gb) 7-8-7-24 1.5V ram. So I got curious and plugged half the old ram back in and it posted normally from the first try (actually it failed at first but that was because the new timings needed to be put in). I tested this a few times over and it seems fixed. Does anyone know if this Corsair Vengeance ram is not compatible? I checked the compatible QV list and didn't see it there. I mean it still works with it but first boot needs a reset button pressed. Maybe it needs more voltage than 1.5v?

Thanks.

Use the GoButton. It's the little Red one on the board along the RAM slots just above the 24pin. With your system off PSU on, press and hold it til you hear it beep. Then go into your BIOS and set the Overclock to 1333 if it hasn't done so already. The reason your system isn't POSTing is cause your Vengeance aren't on QVL. Tweeky or Sandy knows what exactly to set your board to but there are three settings to choose from to get the system to POST until the Board recognizes the RAM. I went through this about a year ago with my GSkill Snipers. smile.gif

~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11819 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post

Use the GoButton. It's the little Red one on the board along the RAM slots just above the 24pin. With your system off PSU on, press and hold it til you hear it beep. Then go into your BIOS and set the Overclock to 1333 if it hasn't done so already. The reason your system isn't POSTing is cause your Vengeance aren't on QVL. Tweeky or Sandy knows what exactly to set your board to but there are three settings to choose from to get the system to POST until the Board recognizes the RAM. I went through this about a year ago with my GSkill Snipers. smile.gif
~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

Ok but what does that do exactly? And why to 1333? Just to make it so its recognized? Not sure I understand completely. I'm perfectly happy hitting the reset button when the post fails though but if this will fix it so it posts on the first try I'll give it a go..

Thank you very very much.

PS: @ Tweeky or @Sandy: Care to elaborate??

Thanks!
post #11820 of 13131

use the go button to get started as ceadder said

use D.O.C.P. in the bios see chapter 3 in the manual under ai tweaker

then select the profile at the bottom of the list [profile 0 or 1]

this will set your ram to factory defaults

then proceed with your overclocking if you like

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4389 MHz Crosshair V Formula 2 @ XFX-695X-ZDDC Crossfire G.skill F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 @ MKNSSD120GB-DX SSD SATA III Raid 0 2 WD 640GB Blacks SATA III Raid 0 2-Liteon iHAS424-98 LS Zalman 9900 Max Red 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64 bit SP1 Samsung PX2370 Logitech MK700 Thermaltake TR2 850w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech M705 Supreme FX X-Fi 2 AFT card reader USB 3.0 PRO-57U 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 @ 4389 MHz Crosshair V Formula 2 @ XFX-695X-ZDDC Crossfire G.skill F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 @ MKNSSD120GB-DX SSD SATA III Raid 0 2 WD 640GB Blacks SATA III Raid 0 2-Liteon iHAS424-98 LS Zalman 9900 Max Red 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 64 bit SP1 Samsung PX2370 Logitech MK700 Thermaltake TR2 850w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech M705 Supreme FX X-Fi 2 AFT card reader USB 3.0 PRO-57U 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Asus CrossHair IV Formula/Extreme Club