Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Asus CrossHair IV Formula/Extreme Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Asus CrossHair IV Formula/Extreme Club - Page 180

post #1791 of 13131
From what I gather, they have to be the same length. I never had to do mine. Fingers crossed I won't have to do it to my new Board either.

Gracias Short. Mui appreciado.

If you can get it, Shin-Etsu G751 is best. I use X23 which is slightly behind the #2 ranked TIM and that's AS5. But AS5 takes 200 hours burn time. Shin-Etsu takes 8 hours max for cure times. Check my sig for a more comprehensive TIM breakdown. "80-way Thermal..."

~Ceadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_rz View Post
so the NB screw has to be shorten as the SB one ? i will get some OCZ freeze cause i cant find the shin anywhere with postage to EU.

Edited by Ceadderman - 6/28/10 at 2:16am
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1792 of 13131
Sorry one of your guys confused me Liquid cooling is a must? Cause I dont have that kind of money considering its all going into my build. Or will regular old air cooling work (probably a zalman or a CM v8)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE C3 Crosshair IV Formula 8800gt Mushkin 4gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 80gb 5200rpm and samsung 186gb 7200rpm Lite-On DVD/CD Lightscribe Windows 7 home premium x64 Park 1920 x 1200 HDTV 
PowerCase
Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU Thermaltake va8003bws 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE C3 Crosshair IV Formula 8800gt Mushkin 4gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 80gb 5200rpm and samsung 186gb 7200rpm Lite-On DVD/CD Lightscribe Windows 7 home premium x64 Park 1920 x 1200 HDTV 
PowerCase
Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU Thermaltake va8003bws 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1793 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxcis View Post
Sorry one of your guys confused me Liquid cooling is a must? Cause I dont have that kind of money considering its all going into my build. Or will regular old air cooling work (probably a zalman or a CM v8)
Water cooling isn't a must.

I got 4.1Ghz with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with one Panaflo 38mm x120mm fan.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1794 of 13131
Thanks, Yeah i knew it wasnt required but yeah the way he said it kinda made me go huh? And how much did your cooler cost? Trying to keep my build under 800
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE C3 Crosshair IV Formula 8800gt Mushkin 4gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 80gb 5200rpm and samsung 186gb 7200rpm Lite-On DVD/CD Lightscribe Windows 7 home premium x64 Park 1920 x 1200 HDTV 
PowerCase
Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU Thermaltake va8003bws 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE C3 Crosshair IV Formula 8800gt Mushkin 4gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 80gb 5200rpm and samsung 186gb 7200rpm Lite-On DVD/CD Lightscribe Windows 7 home premium x64 Park 1920 x 1200 HDTV 
PowerCase
Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU Thermaltake va8003bws 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1795 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_rz View Post
when you are ready to order one instead ? which one would you choose ?
There's a nice little handy chart on their website implying that MX3 transfers heat more efficiently. And:
Quote:
During the CPU's initial use, the compound thins out to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure the best physical contact between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability.
No need to wait with MX3.
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lawlputer
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X3 720 BE 3.5Ghz Asus Crosshair IV Formula VisionTek 6950 2GB G.SKILL 2x4GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green WD Caviar Green 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOS
WD Caviar Black Pioneer DVD Burner LiteOn DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VW266H 25.5" Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Antec Truepower Quattro 850W CoolerMaster HAF 932 Limited AMD Edition 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1796 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
From what I gather, they have to be the same length. I never had to do mine. Fingers crossed I won't have to do it to my new Board either.

Gracias Short. Mui appreciado.

If you can get it, Shin-Etsu G751 is best. I use X23 which is slightly behind the #2 ranked TIM and that's AS5. But AS5 takes 200 hours burn time. Shin-Etsu takes 8 hours max for cure times. Check my sig for a more comprehensive TIM breakdown. "80-way Thermal..."

~Ceadder
there is no cure time for shin etsu which is the beauty of it.

i wouldnt use as5 since it has a cure time and is electrolly conductive or something
GodofDeath
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 970 Asus Rampage III Formula EVGA GTX 460 1gb SSC+ SLI EVGA GTX 460 1gb SSC+ SLI 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Dominators GT Red 3x2gb 7-7-7-20 G.Skill Pheonix Pro 120gb WD1002FAEX 1tb ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Venomous X Black Windows 7 Professional Dell U2311H Filco 104 Brown 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X750 Lian Li A05NB Powdercoated/Modded Logitech G500 Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
GodofDeath
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 970 Asus Rampage III Formula EVGA GTX 460 1gb SSC+ SLI EVGA GTX 460 1gb SSC+ SLI 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Dominators GT Red 3x2gb 7-7-7-20 G.Skill Pheonix Pro 120gb WD1002FAEX 1tb ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Venomous X Black Windows 7 Professional Dell U2311H Filco 104 Brown 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X750 Lian Li A05NB Powdercoated/Modded Logitech G500 Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1797 of 13131
brought my dominators GT for RMA , now its time to deal with the NB issue
post #1798 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofdeath View Post
there is no cure time for shin etsu which is the beauty of it.

i wouldnt use as5 since it has a cure time and is electrolly conductive or something
"Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

It looks like they posted an update & a better explanation on their website. Some of the reviews I've read in the past said it was not electrically conductive, but left it at that.

Ceramique is a better choice if you're worried about shorts & want to use an AS product.

"Electrical Insulator:
Céramique does not contain any metal or other electrically conductive materials. It is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive."

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm
System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 BE @ 5GHz GA-990FXA-UD7 (2) HD5850 Direct CU TOP in CF G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH 7-8-7-24-1t 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ RevoDrive3  LG BR burner EK full board waterblock, EK Supremecy, MCP655 ... W7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns G 28" Logitech K350 Ultra X3 modular 1000w CM HAF 932 
Mouse
Logitech Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8150 BE @ 5GHz GA-990FXA-UD7 (2) HD5850 Direct CU TOP in CF G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH 7-8-7-24-1t 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ RevoDrive3  LG BR burner EK full board waterblock, EK Supremecy, MCP655 ... W7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns G 28" Logitech K350 Ultra X3 modular 1000w CM HAF 932 
Mouse
Logitech Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1799 of 13131
Ceramique is nowhere near as good as AX5 or AX3. It's not bad paste but I wouldn't consider it "Performance Paste". Look in my sig for "80-way TIM..." takes you to the breakdown. You don't even have to read the breakdown (though I suggest reading), you can go right to the results if that's what you want.

@Vexxcis... You don't have to spend alot to have h2o anymore. A good starter in this regard is the Corsair Hydro Series H50, you can sometimes get a reasonable deal for it through newegg or other places. Last month Best Buy had them listed at $60. It will EASILY out perform most coolers and come in with the same results of others. The thing about the H50 though is you can add to it and get even better results. It's self contained comes with a fan and is relatively easy to set up and doesn't have a big footprint so it won't or shouldn't interfere with your choice of RAM unlike some Coolers. Cooler Master V10 *COUGH*

~Ceadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
"Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

It looks like they posted an update & a better explanation on their website. Some of the reviews I've read in the past said it was not electrically conductive, but left it at that.

Ceramique is a better choice if you're worried about shorts & want to use an AS product.

"Electrical Insulator:
Céramique does not contain any metal or other electrically conductive materials. It is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive."

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair IV Formula Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair Dominator G. Skill Ripjaws X G. Skill x2 HITACHI 1TB Deskstars 1TB RAID0 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
ASUS DRW-24B1ST  Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Swiftech 6950/6870 GPU Heatsink Monsoon 1/2"x5/8" PETG White Hardline tubing. 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Monsoon Economy Hardline fittings EK Dual DDC V2 top Swiftech Pump DDC-1T (2) Liquid Fusion V Double helix Reservoir 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Yate Loon 120x20 (D12SM-12C) Medium Speed Silen... EK Supreme HF Classified EK Thermosphere GPU Block EK Thermosphere GPU Block 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64 bit Ultimate OEM Asus VH222H Black HDMI Widescreen Logitech the OCZ went buhbye adios. Don't know ... Corsair CMPSU HX 850w Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 Logitech g9x COOLER MASTER Weapon of Choice: M4 Duramesh Pad Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers 
OtherOther
Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 Creative X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1800 of 13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
Ceramique is nowhere near as good as AX5 or AX3. It's not bad paste but I wouldn't consider it "Performance Paste". Look in my sig for "80-way TIM..." takes you to the breakdown. You don't even have to read the breakdown (though I suggest reading), you can go right to the results if that's what you want.

@Vexxcis... You don't have to spend alot to have h2o anymore. A good starter in this regard is the Corsair Hydro Series H50, you can sometimes get a reasonable deal for it through newegg or other places. Last month Best Buy had them listed at $60. It will EASILY out perform most coolers and come in with the same results of others. The thing about the H50 though is you can add to it and get even better results. It's self contained comes with a fan and is relatively easy to set up and doesn't have a big footprint so it won't or shouldn't interfere with your choice of RAM unlike some Coolers. Cooler Master V10 *COUGH*

~Ceadder
that's exactly why i ve choosen the h50 for
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Asus CrossHair IV Formula/Extreme Club